Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NoVa to OBX road trip 60kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just returned from our annual family trip from Northern Va to the NC outer banks (Nags Head) in my 60kWh. Thought I would share the stats in case others are considering the drive.

On the way down, I wanted to use the Supercharger in Plymouth, NC. After range charging in Glen Allen, I skipped Rocky Mount and instead cut over on rte 35 near Petersburg which was scenic but slow and meandering. Plymouth is an odd location for 8 superchargers considering much busier places (like Newark, DE's 4 chargers) have so few. There is really nothing within walking distance besides the Holiday Inn and Bojangles. After spending 35 minutes at Bojangles with the family, I decided next time I'd bring a picnic.

Southbound Stats:
From Glen Allen to Plymouth 161.9 miles, 46.3kWh, 286 Wh/mi, 2hrs 53 min, (56mph avg), arrived with 30 miles rated range (started with 193 Rated Range).
From Plymouth to Nags Head 74.1 miles, 23.3 kWh, 315 Wh/mi, 1hr 12 min, (62mph avg), arrived with 62 miles rated range.
Total from Glen Allen to Nags Head (including 35 min charge at Plymouth) was 236 miles, 4 hrs 40 min.

photo-17.JPG

On the return trip, decided to take the shorter route via NewPort News/I-64. The distance to Glen Allen is 183 miles which is pushing my comfort zone in the 60kWh (range charge gives me 194 rated range). There are new free level 2 chargers in Newport News at the City Center area with lots of restaurants/shops, right off I 64. It was Sunday so nothing was open yet but stopped for a brief top-off (27minutes, 8miles range added).

Northbound Stats:
From Nags Head to LVL2 charger Newport News 110.2 miles, 30kWh, 272 Wh/mi, 2 hours, (65mph avg) arrived w 89 mi rated range (started w 194mi rated range).
From Newport News to Glen Allen 74.3 miles, 22kWh, 297 Wh/mi, 1hr 8min, (66mph avg) arrived with 24 miles rated range.
Total from Nags Head to Glen Allen (including 30 minute stop for level 2 charge in Newport News) was 184.5 miles, 3 hrs 37min.

Overall the I-64 route was much faster and shorter and very do-able in the 60 kWh even without a stop along the way. If we hadn't stopped for charge we would have arrived at Glen Allen with 16 miles Rated Range. There was no traffic either direction (we left obscenely early for the return home) but the I-64 route can be nasty at peak travel times. The temps were also moderate on this leg (70's) so didn't need climate control.

• Informative
Reactions: Austral
It was a rental house we've stayed in previously. I would think most places have at least a 110 that can be reached from the parking area directly or with an extension cord. Although it has a 14-50 outlet for the dryer, the distance from parking area is too large. I used a 110v outlet but cheated and used an adapter that allows use of the Tesla Nema 5-20 adapter which lets you draw 16 amps (instead of 12 with the standard 5-15 adapter) off a 110 outlet.

Amazon.com : Conntek 30129 15-Amp to 20-Amp Plug Adapter, 20-Amp Socket to 15-Amp U.S 3 Prong Plug : Generator Cord Sets And Plugs : Patio, Lawn Garden

Prior to using this I check the breaker box to ensure it has a 20 amp breaker on that circuit.

As a fellow NoVA'er I appreciate the writeup.

My family just was in Myrtle Beach last week, and with the SC's along the way they almost took The S... but I wasn't going and my wife was a little uncomfortable having to figure out destination charging at the rental house. Had I gone we would have taken it, as it's obviously doable now.

Good stuff.

As an update from last years's trip, this year I was planning to use the new Norfolk Supercharger but unfortunately that was still out of service. I did get a chance to use the CHAdeMO adapter for the first time at Nissan of Chesapeake on the way down. Several of the other CHAdeMOs that have popped up lately in the tidewater area had some negative plugshare comments so I avoided them.
In the Outer Banks, I discovered there's a new (apparently free and functional) Charge Point level 2 charger at the Tanger Outlet Center in Nags head. I didn't get a chance to try charging (full disclosure the charger was discovered by my wife on a shopping excursion in another family members ICE vehicle) but I posted on plug share anyway. Figured it might be helpful to some one since free public level 2 charging is pretty rare in that area.

Weather was nice for the drive home so I decided to try to hypermile and drive nonstop from Nags head to Glen Allen. After a range charge (192RR in my 60), did the 182 mile trip and still arrived with a nice 25 miles RR to spare.

In the Outer Banks, I discovered there's a new (apparently free and functional) Charge Point level 2 charger at the Tanger Outlet Center in Nags head. I didn't get a chance to try charging (full disclosure the charger was discovered by my wife on a shopping excursion in another family members ICE vehicle) but I posted on plug share anyway. Figured it might be helpful to some one since free public level 2 charging is pretty rare in that area.

That is nice to know - must be very new as it's not listed on their website (although other Tanger outlets do have EV charging listed).
I was there first week in August and can't believe I missed it (whichever meaning of the word).

I was looking for you last week Defib, but didn't see you.

In my case it was just 100 miles from my house to our beach rental, so no additional charging enroute was needed. I'll add though that I plugged into a 110 right in the carport at the rental and had zero issues having more than enough range for the week, including a drive south to Bodie Island Lighthouse/Pea Island. (A day trip down to Cape Hatteras would have been easily doable using the 110 for charging, too).

As a fellow NoVA'er I appreciate the writeup.

My family just was in Myrtle Beach last week, and with the SC's along the way they almost took The S... but I wasn't going and my wife was a little uncomfortable having to figure out destination charging at the rental house. Had I gone we would have taken it, as it's obviously doable now.

Good stuff.

I did NoVa to Myrtle Beach, in the 70D. Very easy drive. There are a handful of places to charge locally, including a restaurant with an 80A HPWC.

Cool...

Things have certainly improved in the year since I wrote that... I would have had no problem doing it myself then... the additions make it easier to suggest my wife do the same if she heads down without me.

Also, if you're heading down to Hatteras Island, there's a destination HPWC at Inn at Pamlico Sound. I talked my family into a roadtrip down there that included breakfast - which was fabulous - really! Do call ahead so they'll know you're coming, but they were super nice.
Here you can see me charging, we walked out back afterwards, and the very nice waitress even pointed me to this unique photo opportunity - not quite SpaceX, but it has its own charm :)

charging.jpeg
image.jpeg
photo op.jpeg

(and no, I have no idea how to resize these pictures, but they looked nice when I added them, and not too big after I posted, so just PM how-to if you want me to fix)

We made the trip to the Outer Banks from Richmond a few weeks ago in my 85S. I highly recommend heading south of Richmond on I95 or 295 and then taking 460 down to Norfolk instead of taking 64. Much less traffic on 460 and it's a more scenic drive. The downside is that you will be traveling a little slower as the speed limit is only 55 for most of the trip, and you occasionally have to slow down to 45 or 35 mph as you get to small towns along the highway, but it sure beats dealing with the traffic and gridlock that come with heading down 64 and through Norfolk!

We made the trip to the Outer Banks from Richmond a few weeks ago in my 85S. I highly recommend heading south of Richmond on I95 or 295 and then taking 460 down to Norfolk instead of taking 64. Much less traffic on 460 and it's a more scenic drive. The downside is that you will be traveling a little slower as the speed limit is only 55 for most of the trip, and you occasionally have to slow down to 45 or 35 mph as you get to small towns along the highway, but it sure beats dealing with the traffic and gridlock that come with heading down 64 and through Norfolk!

I agree, much nicer drive during peak summer weekend traffic. I went this way on the way down, stopping in Chesapeke to charge (Nissan CHAdeMO). This is a few extra miles compared to I-64 and I wanted to drive straight home OBX to Glen Allen and was already pushing my range in the 60. Also would mean driving a bit out of the way if/when Norfolk Supercharger reopens.

The Plymouth Route

Great report. Thanks. We like to head down to Avon, so the Plymouth route is almost a must. Can't wait to give it a go. Presumably it will be even a little easier with the 85.

Just a word of caution, no matter what the Tesla tells you I wouldn't not take the backroads to Plymouth if coming from Glen Allen SC. You definitely want to stick to 95 and cut over on NC 64. We did the backroad thing and I regretted it more than I can say. Due to all the start / stop etc I ended up taking about 15% loss on energy and a major loss on time as Google Maps didn't identify the traffic issues in the rural areas.

-Bill