Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security Based lending

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to buy a home soon and instead of selling TSLA I was considering a stock based loan. I was curious if anyone has gone this route with their TSLA investment or another security and if they have any recommendations for a company to use or company's to stay away from. Thanks in advance.

I am looking to buy a home soon and instead of selling TSLA I was considering a stock based loan. I was curious if anyone has gone this route with their TSLA investment or another security and if they have any recommendations for a company to use or company's to stay away from. Thanks in advance.
FWIW, I found a mortgage loan was substantially less expensive than any stock-secured loan offered to me.

My broker urged me too. The margin rate is not fixed and in rising interest rate environment you would essentially have a floating interest rate. For security, I chose not to have any mortgage and just pay cash. Ultimate piece of security

Likely your broker can turn your account into a margin account.

Please be sure you can cope with the risks involved:

A home is a long term investment.
TSLA will go up, but might go down temporarily. Then your loan might not be covered by equity and (in the worst case) you might loose all your TSLA.

The general rule is to finance long term investments with long term loans. Security based loans are usually short term.

Interactive Brokers is between 0.5% and 1.59%
Up until recently they did not give great leverage but I'm looking now and it's close to 3:1 overnight leverage you can get on TSLA if you have a portfolio margin account with them.