Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think of this Model S front bumper design?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple months back, I asked my buddy, Duke, to design a new front bumper for my MS...Here's the latest sketch, what do you guys think? Open to comments and suggestions!

If there's enough interest, we're thinking of putting together a group buy for the initial run of 20 kits...Material will be carbon fiber...

dd_revised.jpg

2014 85 White #459XX
2014 BMW i3 REX Laurel
2013 P85 Brown #186XX
2011 BMW ActiveE 98982 & 98879
2010 Chevy Volt Diamond
2008 BMW MiniE #279

Last edited:
I like it.

A couple months back, I asked my buddy, Duke, to design a new front bumper for my MS...Here's the latest sketch, what do you guys think? Open to comments and suggestions!

If there's enough interest, we're thinking of putting together a group buy for the initial run of 20 kits...Material will be carbon fiber...

dd_revised.jpg

2014 85 White #459XX
2014 BMW i3 REX Laurel
2013 P85 Brown #186XX
2011 BMW ActiveE 98982 & 98879
2010 Chevy Volt Diamond
2008 BMW MiniE #279

Very interesting concept but it appears as if it would produce a lot of frontal drag and disrupt the laminar airflow under the car. I would be concerned with range performance ,so many tiny things can really make a huge difference to a drag coefficient. The look is very aggressive, nice design work.

I like it too. But I also share the same concerns on drag. Perhaps if the indented central area wasn't that deep? Or if there was a way to funnel air down efficiently.

Might be worth having someone do some quick CFD studies. In lieu of air tunnel testing that might be good enough to show it wouldn't really hurt air flow too bad.

-J

I totally agree about the drag! Since I travel from SF <=> LA quite a bit, and often roll into SC stations with < 10 miles remaining, reducing range is a deal breaker for me. Fortunately, there's a wind tunnel on campus, maybe I'll see what their appetite for testing a tesla before and after is. =)

Also, there will be PDC hole options and also front LED fogs, we just haven't decided where they will go yet. But just in terms of aesthetics, any suggestions? Thanks!

Any chance you might consider adding a location for front license plate?
In European countries (long and thin proportions) and some states (American rectangular format, Texas is one of them), they are required, or the local law enforcement can stop you and issue a citation.

*** Put me in the litigation avoidance category... :cool:

@BlueTan85: Hah yeah, wish there was an insect to electricity converter!

@ecarfan: I agree ecars don't need big air intakes, hoping to have the same rudder system that can close the vents to improve drag.

@Weazl: That's a great idea, I've run into the parking sensor issue with the curb myself! Hopefully installing it lower on the lip will not cause higher objects to go undetected. More to come on that.

@Purplewalt: Tell me about it, I just got a no front plate ticket in Hollywood, then another one in Palo Alto, within the same month. I would imagine since we don't want to block the left and right vents, it has to go in the center opening somewhere, maybe we can make an adapter for both US and Euro plates. Thanks for the idea.

@WarpedOne: That's a good photo, there seems to be a center radiator also in the bottom picture? Is that right? Seems like half height.

@smorgasbord: We could make a ABS plastic version at a later time. In my personal experience, on non trival bumper damage, I've always replaced rather than repaired due to piece of mind, especially on high end cars like Tesla's. We'll see how far the project goes?

@WarpedOne: Thanks, we were thinking the same thing. We think there's at least 20 people that would buy this. Otherwise, it would be cost prohibitive to pay for the R&D for just myself.