Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to go from Gilroy, CA to Tejon, CA in one charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deal with it.
Take the 101.
Drive 55mph??? EV Trip Planner
Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 1.58.56 PM.png

Skipping Harris Ranch? Is this possible in P85? If so at what speed?

Thanks!

It may be possible if you go 55mph the whole way.

A 15 min stop at Harris Ranch is all you need. Turn the HVAC to recirculate before you get to Coalinga, stay in the car while charging, and your nostrils will not be offended.

Or just deal with the odor like the hundreds of other people who stop there every day do. It varies quite a bit depending on wind direction.

+1 Similarly, starting from the Bay Area to LA, we stopped at Harris Ranch for lunch both directions. It took about 50 minutes to eat a $20 lunch (well worth it - excellent Harris Ranch beef). No smell on the way down, some on the way back, but none in the restaurant. No problem with charging, either. Both times we were the only ones at our dual set of chargers (so we got the faster charge). We filled up, necessary for the trip back to the Bay Area (East Bay - Orinda). We probably could have skipped a second charge at Lebec on the way to LA (mid Wilshire), but Yogurtland is a nice 20 minute stop.

I've tried like half the menu at the restaurant, it's nice as long as you can hold your breath on the 100 yard sprint from the station into the building. I always turn the AC to recirculate about 10 miles before, but somehow, the smell still gets into the car! There needs to be some sort of robotic charge valet to insert the charge cable upon arrival at this station. Or a big ass fan to blow the stench the other direction...

Another station say around the In-n-out @ Kettleman city would be nice.

MITE46, I was able to do the opposite direction (Tejon to Gilroy) once. This was before they installed all the Superchargers close to the Harris Ranch restaurant, and had only the one at the Shell station. There was one car charging and two more waiting, so I decided to try out a method someone suggested in another thread I can't find right now. Take it easy on 152 East keeping it close to the speed limit, and the climb up 152 East is offset a little by the downhill run before you hit that last kinda flat stretch before Hwy. 5. After that I would stick as close to 63 MPH as you can, and follow semis as often as possible and as closely as you feel comfortable. If you feel like you're gonna cut it really close, slow down. I made it with 11 miles of range left. Also have to keep in mind wind direction, rain and other inclement weather can impact your range too, so keep that in mind.

Thanks radinator, good to know it has been done! Last time I almost tried from the SF => LA direction...since there was quite a bit of traffic on the 152, I was only going 50mph or so...Once I passed the climb, I took it up to 80mph until Harris Ranch. When I got there I had 140 rated miles to go 112 miles to Tejon Ranch, but chickened out because I know I will need at least 150 rated miles going at 80mph. I ended up stopping at Harris Ranch for 10 minutes which got me back up to ~170(+30) rated miles which then made it no problem at ~85mph.

Going 63mph on the 5 and/or drafting would avoid the stop but then would be ultimately slower than just stopping I guess. I wish there was some way to get that extra 10 miles out of the battery pack...

See my report at Realistic Range Expectations in Crummy Winter Weather - Hypermiling in the Winter...Brrr

The opening paragraph:
Yesterday, I drove 228 miles with 2,000 feet elevation gain (12-14 equivalent miles, total 240 equivalent miles) in on a range charge of 255 miles in a P85, arriving with 13 miles left in the battery. The temperatures on the route ranged from 40˚ F. at the start to 12˚ F. on some passes, and probably averaged 26˚ F. or so.​

If I could do the 228 uphill in Colorado in the winter, you can surely do this run in the flat, sunny, central valley.

Keep your speeds down, run in the left lane with the semis. Draft some if you are comfortable and willing to pay intense attention. Warning time can be short while drafting, but your brakes are way better. Be careful!.

I did my winter hypermile with no drafting, but had to resort to drafting when doing the Harris to Folsum run with 30 mph headwinds.