Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker coma after an AT&T dead zone.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhilBa

Apr 20, 2013
Seattle
This may be a new problem with firmware 5.12 but I thought to post it here since the 5.12 thread is getting pretty long.

Basically this happens when you select something to play in slacker when there is no connectivity. The symptom is that slacker just sits there doing nothing - no spinning buffering thingy, no music, no nuttin. I believe that if you just leave it playing as you drive through an AT&T dead zone, it seems to handle an outage ok. at least it did for me. I saw it once a couple of weeks ago and then saw it again yesterday. I was able to reliably repro it several times (lots of mountain driving). To restore, I found the following sequence works. The reboot is definitely required. [EDIT] reboot alone did NOT fix the problem[/EDIT]

By the way, tesla roadside support is aware of this problem and talked me through the solution the first time.

So, to be explicit. If slacker is in a coma:
  1. Wait until you have a reliable signal
  2. At the console go into Controls/Settings/Apps/Media Player
  3. Press Logout button
  4. Reboot console
  5. It should return to the same screen, otherwise repeat #2
  6. Press the Restore button under Tesla Account (or enter your premium account credentials)
  7. Press Login button

Personally, I don't recommend doing the above sequence while driving but it doesn't cause any problems other than a brief blanking of the instrument screen.

It would sure be nice if slacker was fixed so we don't have to resort to this voodoo. I have a couple of neighbors that are either buying or thinking of buying an MS and none of them are going to be happy with this sort of thing.

Last edited:
Yes I had this happen on a recent trip to Kamloops, driving down Summit Drive going to the north shore. I tried everything to get it to run. Noticed the app was saying CAPTCHA required.

SC managed to get it back up and running and updated me to have 5.12 (1.64.26), I was already on 5.12 too so maybe a minor update.

On 5.9 I had issues where driving through poor AT&T zones (east coast) playing slacker locked up not only slacker but the GPS/main screen. Each time a 17" reboot fixed things. Havent had 5.12 too long so cant say if it happens on that version yet.