Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to properly write Model 3 - Thanks Elon!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I have seen this subject brought up a couple times around the forums with people's choice for how to write Model 3 and Elon has provided such an answer!

Elon Musk on Twitter: @awadsayeed Yes. Technically Model 3 or maybe three horizontal bars. Wont be three vertical bars.
Model 3.PNG

So, that settles that!

PS: I didn't want to interject into every thread on the subject and I have read some debate over it, so I thought I would make it it's own thread since I didn't know how best else to convey the message.

- - - Updated - - -

PPS: That was in response to a response on the warranty for the drive unit. Which is also good news for you future X and 3 owners!

Well, if you are writing something that accepts special characters, as El Supreme linked. If not, but it accepts formatting you can do = with an underline =

I think using Model 3 would be the best option. Even if Tesla goes with the 3 bars approach. The reason why you would want to do this is SEO. That special character is going to mess up the seo. Tesla Model ≡ is impossible to type for most people and Google will probably not index it, Model 3 is the best name to go with for building brand.

someone who had purchased the fonts from a while back should make something that says TESLA MODEL E (where the "E" is of course the Tesla font... so that way it would "technically" be the number 3)

You don't because the name is "technically Model 3" which means the real name is "Model 3".

The ≡ is just a 'maybe'.

I think it depends on if they feel they can do it without getting sued by Ford or not, haha!
"Honest, I had no idea that 3 and E would EVER get confused!!! Who knew? All our paperwork says "3" it is just the logo design... Show me your trademark for Model E, and let's compare... Yeah, those don't look anything alike... see? Mine says "three" your's says "Eeeeee"... say it with me!"

Well, if you are writing something that accepts special characters, as El Supreme linked. If not, but it accepts formatting you can do = with an underline =

I think using Model 3 would be the best option. Even if Tesla goes with the 3 bars approach. The reason why you would want to do this is SEO. That special character is going to mess up the seo. Tesla Model ≡ is impossible to type for most people and Google will probably not index it, Model 3 is the best name to go with for building brand.

Sure, I think I am exploring this from a logo branding perspective more than a practical writing exercise. It is far too annoying to even type ≡ and my cell phone certainly does not want to display it. And finagling a google search doesn't even want to give me any results using the bars... I tried my google fu and couldn't get anything:
model3.PNG

So yes, for the forums we should probably stick to 3 as much as possible. But I REALLY hope in the logo for it they go horizontal :)

It shouldn't be a big deal. the 3 as the horizontal bars is just the logo/branding of the vehicle but still is in fact the "Model 3". And Ford has nothing to say on that one, the official name of the car is "Model 3" it just so happens that the 3 horizontal bars that represent the "3" looks like an E . If that were to be the case ( I hope ) , then he can still play with the letters, logo of the 3 and type in "S ≡ X" FTW ! :love:

I think this looks pretty awesome:
Tesla Model 3_-_RED LOGO 02.jpg

And... I'll keep writing Tesla Model ≡, because I think it looks cool. A Google search will still find this thread because the title is written the other way. So I don't see what the big deal is among detractors.

I think this looks pretty awesome:

And... I'll keep writing Tesla Model ≡, because I think it looks cool. A Google search will still find this thread because the title is written the other way. So I don't see what the big deal is among detractors.

Thanks for working with other forum members and moderators who have politely asked you to write Model 3. Why the fixation on the symbol? Is putting it as your avatar or in your signature not enough? That way every single post of your will show the glory of the symbol even when not talking about the Model 3. And yes it does look cool but on the back of the car, not written out on the forum.

Last edited: