Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boston Parking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, i'm not a city guy so forgive me if this is a silly question. I have a dinner coming up in a few weeks on Beacon Street in Boston. Would love to take my car but I don't think I want valet and i'm worried about tight boston parking, door dings etc. I don't need to charge (Model S has plenty of range!). Any suggestions/recommendations or should I resort to the ICE age car to be safe?

I drive to NYC daily, and Boston regularly with my Model S. I've not had any issues parking or with door dings. If it is a major concern, splurge for a garage and tip in advanced for extra care (something I've never bothered with; I find most garages are quite gentle with the car).

While you don't require the charge, checking Plugshare for an EV spot may be a way to get a decent parking spot, some kWh and peace of mind.

Beacon Street is a very long street, so I'm not sure what's going to be convenient... The garage at 100 Clarendon St has very ample spaces, especially if you park along the outside. There's free charging on the 7th floor, which by dinner time should be empty. There are also good spots along the ramps and in the corners where you can either park in solitude or put a lot of space between you and other spots.

I would avoid the Boston Common garage, which has tight spots.

Thanks folks. I'm going to "Moo" restaurant, 15 Beacon Street.

Moo is right by the State House. It's less than a 10 minute walk from Post Office Square parking, which has a row of at least 4 (maybe 6?) Chargepoints right in front of the entrance and cashier lobby. I would definitely go there - see Model S charging there all the time and I have as well when going to meetings or dinners in the Financial District.

- - - Updated - - -

I checked again to see you don't need to charge - but the spaces are generally ample and the Chargepoints are in a prime, protected location and most likely won't be too busy in the evening, so you might as well take advantage of them.

Hi guys, I had a successful Boston parking experience yesterday. I parked at the Post Office Square garage. Their words:
We have seven Level 2 EV Charging Stations on the Lobby Level near the Garage Office. The Garage is part of the Chargepoint network. There is no fee to use the stations, but regular parking rates apply as you exit the Garage. The charging stations are available on a first-come, first served basis. Availability of the stations is shown on chargepoint.net as post office sq. Join the Chargepoint network for an ID card to activate the charging station, or see a Garage manager for assistance.

Details here:
http://www.posquare.com/faqs.html

I added 60 miles of rated range while I had a long dinner/meeting. Only 2 spaces were in use on a weekday at 5pm.

One other tesla was there but was gone by the time I got back. The spots are still a bit tight but better with the more friendly EV crowd I think.

One thing to be aware of, this was the one and only place I did bottom out a slight bit as I exited the garage. If you have air suspension put it up, otherwise just drive slow and expect it.

IMG_3335.jpg

Many thanks to everyone for the help. I'm no city boy and I survived the visit and would definitely do the same again with no concerns.

Pro tip: Watch for Sox games if you're going into Boston from the West - traffic can be a bear.

Reactions: MIT_S60
Charged/parked in the Prudential Center this evening.
Charging rates are now $1.25/hour (max of 4 hours).
Not sure why there was an unplugged i3 next to me
or why an ICE mini also parked next to me.

Hint: Spend $10 in the Pru and get your parking ticket
validated - I ate somewhere else and was whacked with
a $40 parking fee. (Versus $14)

Reactions: MIT_S60
It's not reserved for the hotel only, you can park your car there for several hours and they'll charge your car as long as the charger is open, it's a good exposure spot as well :)

I've parked there a few times now without any issues.

I didn't know they had a Model S in there, never seen it, I know Mandarin Oriental has one with Livery plates, that I see there all the time.

It's not reserved for the hotel only, you can park your car there for several hours and they'll charge your car as long as the charger is open, it's a good exposure spot as well :)

I've parked there a few times now without any issues.

I didn't know they had a Model S in there, never seen it, I know Mandarin Oriental has one with Livery plates, that I see there all the time.

It could be the Mandarin Oriental one which I saw.
I was also parked near 2, and saw another by the Back Bay train station.

Charged/parked in the Prudential Center this evening.
Charging rates are now $1.25/hour (max of 4 hours).
Not sure why there was an unplugged i3 next to me
or why an ICE mini also parked next to me.

Hint: Spend $10 in the Pru and get your parking ticket
validated - I ate somewhere else and was whacked with
a $40 parking fee. (Versus $14)

I thought it was illegal to resell electricity in MA and is why all charge point locations are free so far? How did they manage to charge you for charging?

Hi All...I know this has been covered in the past but I need an update lol. How does it work when parking/charging at the Lenox when you're not staying there? Do you call ahead and reserve and pay over the phone via CC, do you just drive up and see if it's available and pay the valet, or what?

I'm headed to the Hyne's Convention Center area for dinner and want to come up with a plan. Thanks!

Hi All...I know this has been covered in the past but I need an update lol. How does it work when parking/charging at the Lenox when you're not staying there? Do you call ahead and reserve and pay over the phone via CC, do you just drive up and see if it's available and pay the valet, or what?

I'm headed to the Hyne's Convention Center area for dinner and want to come up with a plan. Thanks!

I think your best bet is to call the hotel.

FYI there are 4 charging stations at the parking garage @ 1 Marina Park Drive, Boston, MA 02210
This is the new Seaport area with all new restaurants and soon shopping area. They are free to use and charging rates are at 240V/30A, obviously parking rates are a different animal :)