Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pollution by brake pads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original article on argus.fr makes clear that about 20% of the particulate pollution from a car are from the brakes. Particulates are only one of the pollutants from cars, of course.

The good news is that we use brakes much, much less in the Model S, so not only do we have zero tail-pipe emissions, but also a much lower rate of brake-pad particulate pollution.

Agree. In fact EVs have to change their pads much less with respect to ICE cars. Less pollution and less expenses for people having EVs.

Not only this. I read that in Italy a lady driving the Model S down the Dolomites managed to get 50 kilometers of charge by using regen brakes. Using regen brakes is really convenient!

In theory, the Model S should generate less brake dust due to regenerative braking.

In practice, at least subjectively based on the amount a dust I have to clean off the wheel each week when I wash it, my Model S generates more brake dust than any other car I've ever owned.

@liuping: that is not my experience. My wife's used to own a Prius that had regenerative braking but not to the extent the model S has. After 6 years and 70K miles her Prius still had 65% of the original brake pad left on the front and even more on the rear pads. I expect the model S to have even less wear.

I find my Model S wheels stay very clean compared to my Porsche.

Last edited:
The Model S is (presumeably) much heavier than the Prius, which translates into more wear on the brakepads. That and the S is a much stronger performing car which might be driven somewhat harder than a Prius. This is an assumption, of course, but could definately be influencing factors for the "average breakpad wear"-comparison. But I think it's safe to assume a Model S will use break pads at a slower rate than another car of compareable performance and weight.

In theory, the Model S should generate less brake dust due to regenerative braking.

In practice, at least subjectively based on the amount a dust I have to clean off the wheel each week when I wash it, my Model S generates more brake dust than any other car I've ever owned.

Odd... my experience has been the opposite. But then again, I really prefer one-foot driving, and I've gotten pretty adept at allowing myself sufficient regen-stopping distance under most circumstances... which also happens to be a safety buffer I like.

Maybe your other cars didn't have the same performance? Or used different, low-wear, pads? Certainly my Model S produces MUCH less brake dust than my old Merc or STi ever did.

The is trying to imply that brake pad dust is the major cause of these deaths. The really big offender on this front is diesel engines. By a large factor.

I think this article is trying to call into question the assumption that it's Diesel engines that are the primary problem. Well, they're still the *primary* problem, but the brake pads contribute a significant portion, and the brakes are unique in throwing off copper, which the authors seems to feel cause extra problems.

I think there is a leap in there somewhere that the brake and tire particulates are fine enough to remain airborne for any appreciable amount of time. The Tree Hugger article acknowledges "aerodynamic diameters of these non-exhaust particulate emissions tend to be larger than those of exhaust emissions" and implies a link without backing it up, while the second article above discusses pollution from run-off which makes total sense.