Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Stranded w Software Error 0x1533, 0x400

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Everything has been lovely with my Roadster until a few minutes ago. Drove it this morning, was fine. Brought it home, plugged it in, charging fine. Stopped the charge, unplugged ... and software error. OVMS started alerting the same error repeatedly.

Red Fault, Service Required. Showing Error 0x1533, Data 0x400.

Car starts, but won't shift into gear.

Unplugged OVMS, waited a bit, still no dice.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

No love. She had to go for a 125 mi flat bed ride. Shes back in the garage at home now. We'll see what Tesla says tomorrow when the techs are available.

Sorry to hear about the error code requiring a visit to the service centre.

But I'm curious - on the bottom of your posts you state you have Roadster #931 ... Is this correct ? .. I ask because my car is 'also' #931 !

I would have thought chassis numbers are unique irrelevant of the territory in which they were sold. So this is seems like a bit of a mystery ..

Last edited:
Be sure to come back and update us and the http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/forumdisplay.php/108-Wiki for this new error code when you learn more!

Done and done. In case anyone wants to see what that looks like:
_20140826_195823.JPG
_20140826_192545.JPG
_20140826_192613.JPG

From the USB logs, flash/firmware.rc:
vms : vms.image : 906028 : 15.1.0 : 0.0.0 : VMS-R4 : 1 :

And from the linux console & boot messages, flash/messages:
Aug 24 19:15:35 syslog: VMS: VMS restarted - version 13.3.0

There in lies the problem I suspect. No idea why it reverted though. Perhaps a failing flash part?

Last edited:
From the USB logs, flash/firmware.rc:
vms : vms.image : 906028 : 15.1.0 : 0.0.0 : VMS-R4 : 1 :

And from the linux console & boot messages, flash/messages:
Aug 24 19:15:35 syslog: VMS: VMS restarted - version 13.3.0

There in lies the problem I suspect. No idea why it reverted though. Perhaps a failing flash part?

So the VMS restarted, couldn't load the new firmware, so reverted to old. Then, version mismatch.

Neat. Could be a one-off (ie; another reboot could fix it), or as you say something corrupt on the new firmware.

I assume he already pulled and reinserted the ESS service disconnect.

You might want to expand on that, no one proposed this so far to him AND the car is not at the SC yet (only supposed to go next week).

I also remember reading about 'rebooting' the VMS by disconnecting & reconnecting its power cable that is dangling somewhere close under the dash on the passenger side?

...mind you if you succeed in clearing the error either way because the flash failing(or other problem) is intermittent,
you'll end up hiding the problem away for the SC investigation until it fails more permanently and you get stranded again :-(