Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6.0 Earthquake Shakes Northern California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live about the same distance from the epicenter of last nights quake as the Fremont factory is, but on the opposite side of the San Francisco Bay. Nothing was moved at my house that I can see. I was asleep at the time but my wife happened to be awake and she says she heard some unusual "creaking" noises, probably from the house structure shifting very slightly. She did not feel any movement.

Of course seismic waves travel differently through different kinds of rock and earthquakes can have profoundly different effects on geologically different areas that are adjacent to each other. I live in the hills 500 ft above sea level. The factory is on lower flatland only slightly higher than the bay. But I doubt it suffered any noticeable damage.

We're about half way between the epicenter near Napa and Fremont (about 30 miles south of the epicenter), almost directly on a straight line. I slept through the quake, but my wife said she felt it - thought it might have been a dream. Seems like most of the damage was fairly local.

As my handle implies, I live right at ground zero for this quake. I've lived in Northern California for most of my 69 years, and this quake takes the cake. Brutal. Our house is on a hill and we look south across town. Quake lasted about 20 seconds and there must have ben 20 or 30 flashes from transformers/power lines. Power was out, obviously. Figured we'd be without for a while, but they got it back up 2 1/2 hours later. My kids live down in East Bay and one slept through it. Not here! Was happy to know I'd be able to keep my iPhone/iPad charged up using Tess.:smile:

As my handle implies, I live right at ground zero for this quake. I've lived in Northern California for most of my 69 years, and this quake takes the cake. Brutal. Our house is on a hill and we look south across town. Quake lasted about 20 seconds and there must have ben 20 or 30 flashes from transformers/power lines. Power was out, obviously. Figured we'd be without for a while, but they got it back up 2 1/2 hours later. My kids live down in East Bay and one slept through it. Not here! Was happy to know I'd be able to keep my iPhone/iPad charged up using Tess.:smile:

Woke me up in the East Bay. Glad you're OK. House still on the foundation? Sounds like a few mobile homes jumped their foundation and ruptured gas lines with resultant fire. Downtown Napa a mess-old brick facades down. Lots of smashed wine bottles....

I'm in the Bay Area and this quake woke me up at around 3:20am-3:30am. The shaking was very obvious and lasted a while, but nothing fell or broke. I would doubt that the Fremont factory had any damage at all.

Looking at the news, even near the epicenter luckily there were no fatalities, although there is plenty of property damage and minor injuries. I hope everyone in Napa is doing okay.

That is a hell of a way to roll out 6.0, we are about 5 miles northwest of the epicenter and we did rock an roll. Maybe worse the the 89 quake, lost some things off the shelves and walls just got power back. Other than that all is well, no damage to the Tesla.
Tess was in the midst of her nightly recharge when the quake hit and power went out. Went down to garage and found Tess with the hatchback open. When I tried to close it, no luck using the button. So just closed it manually. No harm, no foul it appears.

I'm 26 miles from the epicenter and the quake definitely woke me up. The shaking was not sufficient to cause any damage at my location. The Tesla Fremont Factory is about 50-60 miles from the epicenter with even less shaking according to the USGS shakemap. I expect they are fine.

Parts of Napa, Solano, and Sonoma counties close to the epicenter got hit pretty hard. About 90 people suffered injuries, some severe. A number of these injuries were caused when tall heavy objects fell onto people while they were sleeping, like this. This is really easy to prevent, by bolting the tops of these tall objects to studs in the wall using angle brackets - a cheap DIY project. If you haven't done this for all the tall bookcases, filing cabinets, entertainment centers, dressers, etc. in your home please do so soon. Most parts of the U.S. can get earthquakes.

- - - Updated - - -

House is fine, but did lose 3 bottles of wine in my cellar. Oh well.:mad:

Bill, I'm glad you and your home are OK.

Jumpiest quake I was ever in. Felt like someone had grabbed the house and shook it up and down and sideways. Worse than Loma Prieta, but closer. Jumped up to check for gas leaks, water leaks, anything broken, but only found two pictures askew and the Tesla just fine. Power had resumed, charger back on. Having no wine cellar, etc., I lost nothing but a few minutes sleep.

As with most natural disasters, the news makes a lot more of it than most people experience. So far, no one was killed, and the triage at Queen of the Valley hospital was mostly fixing cuts and bruises. A few mobile homes burned, pipelines got broken, but safe water was always on. Very lucky for those living in Napa.

In American Canyon, most housing is newer, and I didn't hear of much damage. In Napa, the town is old. Many homes from WWII. The big buildings date from 1800s, and even retrofitted weren't up to the shaking. The biggest problem is that people forget and stack things too high, like in the garage, and it all falls down and goes boom. I chuckled at the news coverage: Picture after picture of broken windows, broken brickwork, broken roadways, broken bottles in the aisles, and under it, the tagline, "Breaking news..."

The pictures of the stores and markets - well, that was just mostly plastic bottles, etc. No loss. Since people think that wine and spirits simply must be sold in glass, well, that's what broke. Some people still think no loss, but I am sure not one winery or liquor store will go broke. All in all, a very easy natural disaster, early Sunday morning when most everyone is safe in bed.

Jumpiest quake I was ever in. Felt like someone had grabbed the house and shook it up and down and sideways. Worse than Loma Prieta, but closer. Jumped up to check for gas leaks, water leaks, anything broken, but only found two pictures askew and the Tesla just fine. Power had resumed, charger back on. Having no wine cellar, etc., I lost nothing but a few minutes sleep.

As with most natural disasters, the news makes a lot more of it than most people experience. So far, no one was killed, and the triage at Queen of the Valley hospital was mostly fixing cuts and bruises. A few mobile homes burned, pipelines got broken, but safe water was always on. Very lucky for those living in Napa.

In American Canyon, most housing is newer, and I didn't hear of much damage. In Napa, the town is old. Many homes from WWII. The big buildings date from 1800s, and even retrofitted weren't up to the shaking. The biggest problem is that people forget and stack things too high, like in the garage, and it all falls down and goes boom. I chuckled at the news coverage: Picture after picture of broken windows, broken brickwork, broken roadways, broken bottles in the aisles, and under it, the tagline, "Breaking news..."

The pictures of the stores and markets - well, that was just mostly plastic bottles, etc. No loss. Since people think that wine and spirits simply must be sold in glass, well, that's what broke. Some people still think no loss, but I am sure not one winery or liquor store will go broke. All in all, a very easy natural disaster, early Sunday morning when most everyone is safe in bed.

I saw some carports ('soft story') down in Napa, just like in SF in 1989. I lived just up from the Marina then. Quake was bad, but the fires afterwards were terrible. Old construction that has not been retrofitted is a problem. Lots of brick facades on Napa historic buildings down.