Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner MS85 with incredible range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys

I got a ms85 loaner and when I got in the car, I saw 305miles of charge. Was shocked, but realized they charged to 100%. I was still shocked because I thought that was quite a bit

After driving this a few days, I charged this to the normal 90% and was still blown away that the range was 279miles!?!

my car when charged at 90% shows 239miles

any explanation for this? See attached photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,174
This is my "pay it forward" advice on range.

In general, rated range is a much closer approximation to reality for most people. It is a straight mathematical calculation based on remaining charge with an efficiency of ~300Wh/mi. If you are driving above that, you will get lower than rated range and vice versa. As a newbie, keep the energy app up and set to 30 mi/average. This will give you a moving average efficiency based on your current driving and give you a better idea of how you are doing against the rated range calculation. One caveat: don't freak out if you are going up hill, region should give you most of that energy back on the downside if you stay off the brakes.

Over time, you'll gain an intuitive sense for range, much like you probably did looking at the gas gauge on your last ICE car.

Hope that helps,

O

When range is a concern, you compare the dash number to the the projected number on the energy graph display. If the energy graph display is higher than the dash number, you're golden. If it's lower you need to be thinking about either slowing down or charging sooner.

When range is a concern, you compare the dash number to the the projected number on the energy graph display. If the energy graph display is higher than the dash number, you're golden. If it's lower you need to be thinking about either slowing down or charging sooner.

For really incredible range, you need to drive like this 30 mile segment. Because there were about 220 rated miles in my battery at this point, 999 miles of range underestimates what is possible if one kept driving this way. :biggrin:
Zero Wh-mi.JPG

Ha. Coming back from Tahoe (all downhill) it seemed my graph was mostly green--wish I had taken a pic. Rumor from the one of the employees I was chatting with at Fremont is you can gain 20 miles of rated range coming back from Tahoe if you do it right (by which I assume he meant stay off the brakes and not hit anything).

O

I don't think this is true based on my other thread. Rated is closer to 290 wh/mi and for me, that's pretty hard to do.

This is my "pay it forward" advice on range.

In general, rated range is a much closer approximation to reality for most people. It is a straight mathematical calculation based on remaining charge with an efficiency of ~300Wh/mi. If you are driving above that, you will get lower than rated range and vice versa. As a newbie, keep the energy app up and set to 30 mi/average. This will give you a moving average efficiency based on your current driving and give you a better idea of how you are doing against the rated range calculation. One caveat: don't freak out if you are going up hill, region should give you most of that energy back on the downside if you stay off the brakes.

Over time, you'll gain an intuitive sense for range, much like you probably did looking at the gas gauge on your last ICE car.

Hope that helps,

O

So, a couple of things:

1) If you look at the actual 'Rated" line on the energy app, its at 300 (look at the two pics up-thread) - in my experience, if I hit that number I get within a coupe of miles of rated range
2) Because I know there is still some disagreement about this (I have seen folks propose everything from 290 to 308) I noted it above as "about 300Wh/mi"(that is what the "~" means). For the gist of my advice, the actual value used for rated range is not relevant, but rather where the moving average line is relative to the rated miles line and whether the OP can expect to get above or below the rated miles displayed.

O