Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock + Windshield = Sad Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While going up a freeway on-ramp earlier today, BAM! a nice sized rock chip with fractures so far out to about 0.75". Dash cam caught two frames with the rock in it.

UGH!

In Utah we don't have a service center, I'm waiting for a call back from Tesla to see what the next step is.

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

That sucks. My wifes Mazda got a chip in it within the first 2,000 miles. I hate the rocks on our roads. The worst is when you are behind a dump truck with gravel just pouring out of the back as he cruises at 80 mph on the freeway.

Off Topic, next time you come to cars and coffee can I check out your dash cam? I am interested in getting one.

If you don't mind driving to Fort Collins, there's a great windshield repair/ replacement company that fixes "chips for tips". Essentially, they realize that fixing rock chips is very easy for them to do, so they offer it free in hopes that if/when you need the whole windshield eventually replaced, you'll bring your business back to them. No charge, just whatever you decide to tip them.
They did a great job on mine to where I can't see it unless I get up close. I think I tipped him 10-20 bucks

We took a rock to the windshield a few weeks ago that left pulverized rock powder on the windshield but it didn't chip at all. I was astonished. I started to wonder if the windshield was bullet proof. I've had much lesser rocks spider the whole width of the windshield.

Sad to hear your windshield took a hit. Just look on the bright side, at least it was your windshield and not the hood. I'm sure the hood would be much more costly to repair. (Though I don't know what it cost to replace a Tesla windshield.)

Utah is horrible in this regard. With my previous car I replaced my windshield yearly the day before my safety inspection. I'd like with the chips and cracks for the rest of the year.

Fortunately in the first year of ownership I've only had one small chip which I was able to get repaired yours is small enough, but it will still be visible.

Some insurance companies will repair chips with no deductible.

We have full glass coverage on our insurance... They repair chips or replace the glass with no deductible. Living in AZ, we get a lot of rocks thrown at windshields -- a few repairs done over the years and 2 windshields replaced in 10 years.

one of the repairs was to the Tesla a couple months ago. Unfortunately, that repair is starting to crack again. Will be getting the windshield replaced soon because of that...

So Tesla responded, I'm waiting to hear back from my insurance to see what they cover. After doing some research on the issue, it appears my crack is small enough that a repair will likely be successful and not very visible. Monday I'm going to head down to Safelite and have them take a try at repairing it. Sounds like it'll be under $100 and my insurance may** cover it. If the repair fails then I can get a new windshield through a local body shop, "Dave's Body Shop" on 7800S, which is nice, they're just down the street from me.

I have to say, I'm a little annoyed with Tesla at the moment. My previous car was a 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora that I got used for $3000, I drove that thing for 7 years, NEVER got a crack and only 1 minor chip that I got filled. Prior to that I drove a Plymouth Neon that I got used for $700 (hundred) . Again never any cracks. I understand on an expensive new cars replacement parts will be expensive, but they shouldn't be this fragile.

On-the-other-hand, maybe my number was up and I won't have to worry about it again anytime soon.

I've received two private messages being asked what camera I use. so I'll respond to that here:
The camera I use is a BlackVue DR500GW-HD with a 64GB Micro SD card, after reading through many posts here, it seems to be one of the more highly rated dash-cams. I hardwired it to an always-on 12v source in the headliner by the two microphones. The camera works as advertised, though I'm less than impressed by the image sharpness at objects further out than my hood. The Wi-Fi is a gimmick, and is too slow to be useful and slows down the camera FPS, I just leave it off. BUT, the camera runs Linux (my whole life revolves around Linux so I find this awesome), you can even ssh into it. There's some tweaks to increase video bit-rate which is something I want to play with but haven't had the chance yet.

BlackVue Wi-Fi DR500GW-HD
Amazon.com : BlackVue Wi-Fi DR500GW-HD 16GB Car Black Box/DVR Recorder : Vehicle Overhead Video : Car Electronics

Samsung Electronics 64GB EVO Micro SDXC
Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics 64GB EVO Micro SDXC with Adapter Upto 48MB/s Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MP64DA/AM): Computers Accessories

Off Topic, next time you come to cars and coffee can I check out your dash cam? I am interested in getting one.
Yeah definitely. I **Plan** on being there this Saturday. My work keeps sending me out-of-state otherwise I'd be there every weekend.

If you don't mind driving to Fort Collins, there's a great windshield repair/ replacement company that fixes "chips for tips".
Thanks for the suggestion, but at 590Mi (through superchargers), I don't think my windshield would still be in one piece by the time I got there.

Just look on the bright side, at least it was your windshield and not the hood. I'm sure the hood would be much more costly to repair. (Though I don't know what it cost to replace a Tesla windshield.)
Yeah for sure! I've been saving to get the entire car Xpel wrapped. Was planning on doing it next month, This might put a dent (heh) in that plan.

Cost me $920 for parts (windshield and rain sensor covers) and $490 in labor to get a new one installed at Fremont.
The price you paid seems right about what everyone else is posting. Reading through previous forum posts, it sounds like new windshields range from $1200 to $1500 depending on location.

Last edited:
I have to say, I'm a little annoyed with Tesla at the moment. My previous car was a 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora that I got used for $3000, I drove that thing for 7 years, NEVER got a crack and only 1 minor chip that I got filled. Prior to that I drove a Plymouth Neon that I got used for $700 (hundred) . Again never any cracks. I understand on an expensive new cars replacement parts will be expensive, but they shouldn't be this fragile.

Tesla doesn't make their own glass. They get it from PPG, St. Gobain, etc like everyone else. Their glass is no more or less resistant to rock chips than any other car. I'd chalk it up to bad luck and timing. Can't blame Tesla for that.

On the other hand, the recurring stress fractures many people were seeing a while back were a design specification problem and on Tesla to fix. It looks like they have as we're not hearing about them any more here.

If you're concerned about future rock chips I'd recommend seeing if there is a ClearPlex installer near you. It's a windshield protection film, like a clear bra for your front windshield, that works quite well to prevent rock chips. I had it installed over a year and half ago and it's saved me from two hard impacts that would have definitely made a chip or worse if I didn't have it.

Before you have safelite fix it, call Novus glass. When I worked at the BMW dealer here, we used them to fill rock chips. He would fill cracks and chips that I would never think were repairable. It would be nearly invisible except I knew it was there.

Also if you are interested, I have a connection at the local tint/wrap shop. I live on 75th south so were close anyway if you are close to Daves.

My insurance paid for the rock chip repair, and would also cover a new windshield minus deductible. Which is pretty awesome. Guess there are some plus sides to having full coverage.

The repair went pretty well but it is still a noticeable ding. I'll probably wait another 4000 miles then get the wind shield replaced just to see how much rocks hate me.

Can't blame Tesla for that.
You're right of course. I was just annoyed and venting. I love my Tesla =D

Last edited: