Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargePoint now has 70A EVSE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

slcasner

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2011
Sunnyvale, CA
Many of us have been disappointed that the public J1772 charging stations being installed all over the place will supply only 30A. Today there is an article in USA Today with the title "Report: Tesla building I-80 supercharger station" that contains this paragraph:

Earlier this year, Nevada's Incline Village General Improvement District installed four, 70-amp, 240-volt ChargePoint ports at Diamond Peak Ski Resort and the Championship Golf Course on the edge of Mount Rose.

I did not know that ChargePoint made a 70A EVSE. I went to the ChargPoint website and, indeed, it looks like the quoted paragraph is accurate:

IVGID
DIAMOND PEAK 1
1210 Ski Way
Incline Village, NV

Level 2, J1772, 16.8 kW
16.8 kW is 70A * 240V.

I wonder if this development is the result of Model S deployment creating a sufficient market.

The chargepoint.com web site still just lists their 30A CT4000 series products. Tahoe district installs four electric-car charging stations | TahoeDailyTribune.com says this hardware was from Eaton, not Chargepoint.

District officials installed four 70-amp, 240-volt ports this spring at Diamond Peak Ski Resort and the Championship Golf Course, according to a news release. The district paid $20,000 to purchase and install the stations built by the Eaton Corporation; they cost $40,000 total, but half was paid for by a grant from NV Energy.

Eaton (and other manufacturers), have equipment that works on the Chargepoint network.

$10,000 each for 70 amp J1772 charging stations? That's just crazy. Clipper Creek CS-100 on a pedestal is $2895, or two mounted on the same pedestal is $5290 according to their web site.

That may be the price for the hardware, but don't forget to add in costs for design/permits, electrical panel install or upgrades, trenching, wiring, etc. for 70 amps of 240 volt power x 4...Not cheap...

That may be the price for the hardware, but don't forget to add in costs for design/permits, electrical panel install or upgrades, trenching, wiring, etc. for 70 amps of 240 volt power x 4...Not cheap...
In addition, those CS-90s and 100s don't have authorization/communication built in. They are suitable for free charging. Since CP needs to have auth/billing, they won't do. Though, regardless of paid or free, the vast majority of charging will still happen at home.

When you add in installation costs, it doesn't make sense to put in 30A EVSEs. I hope those go the way of the dinosaurs...

I read several months ago that Northern Nevada Power (or whatever the utility is) footed the bill to install a bunch of public charging stations in northern Nevada, including the 70A chargers at Incline. They are supposed to be free for two or three years when they will reevaluate the fee structure. There is also a 70A public charger in Minden but has been out of service for about 4 months because of construction. I do not know if there are any more out there. I used the 70-amper at the golf course in July, and got about 120 miles in about 100 minutes. One of the ports was ICE'd briefly by an employee.

If I recall correctly, the charging ports were manufactured by Eaton, and did not have the typical "ChargePoint" configuration that they use for the 30A plugs.

In addition, those CS-90s and 100s don't have authorization/communication built in. They are suitable for free charging. Since CP needs to have auth/billing, they won't do. Though, regardless of paid or free, the vast majority of charging will still happen at home.

When you add in installation costs, it doesn't make sense to put in 30A EVSEs. I hope those go the way of the dinosaurs...

ChargePoint is primarily a software company that has partnered with a number of different EVSE makers. Most of them are made by Coulomb. The local ChargePoint rep told me he could get CP stations by Clipper Creek, Coulomb, and Eaton. The Clipper Creek units most definitely have authorization.

The CS-90s and CS-100s have also had authorization built in if you ordered it as an option from Clipper Creek.

So to go beyond 40A one must have the Dual Charger option? I was not aware J1772 was an option at the higher powers.
Yes, the SAE J1772 spec goes up to 80A: SAE standard on EV charging connector approved - SAE International
The prevalence of 30A chargers is the sad result of poor federal policy that subsidized 30A chargers without giving any incentive to go beyond. It doesn't help that only Tesla Roadsters and a subset of Tesla Model Ss can utilize anything beyond 40A.

Yes, the SAE J1772 spec goes up to 80A: SAE standard on EV charging connector approved - SAE International
The prevalence of 30A chargers is the sad result of poor federal policy that subsidized 30A chargers without giving any incentive to go beyond. It doesn't help that only Tesla Roadsters and a subset of Tesla Model Ss can utilize anything beyond 40A.
But all Model S can use 40A, and it's a meaningful difference in range just going from 30A to 40A. Any further local or federal incentives should require a 40A minimum.

ChargePoint is primarily a software company that has partnered with a number of different EVSE makers. Most of them are made by Coulomb. The local ChargePoint rep told me he could get CP stations by Clipper Creek, Coulomb, and Eaton. The Clipper Creek units most definitely have authorization.
ChargePoint and Coulomb Technologies are the same company. Coulomb operated their public charging network under the name ChargePoint because they wanted to license other EVSE makers to use their user ID and billing services. They have since changed the Coulomb Technologies company name to ChargePoint in order to avoid confusion.

Coulomb Technologies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rebranding: ChargePoint is in, Coulomb is out | SiliconBeat

Last edited:
ChargePoint and Coulomb Technologies are the same company. Coulomb operated their public charging network under the name ChargePoint because they wanted to license other EVSE makers to use their user ID and billing services. They have since changed the Coulomb Technologies company name to ChargePoint in order to avoid confusion.

Coulomb Technologies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rebranding: ChargePoint is in, Coulomb is out | SiliconBeat

Good to know. Thanks for the clarification.