Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fast Charging options INSIDE the DC Beltway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to be doing a road trip which will involve driving into DC from Southern Maryland and back after the trip down from NJ. It probably won't work without a quick charge somewhere in DC that night. Any ideas? The Woodbridge SC is on the opposite side of town.

Yes, there's a temporary supercharger at Montgomery mall (along with a Tesla store). There is also a Tesla store in Tyson's Corner and another in downtown DC, on K and 12th NW. Either might be able to give you access to a HPWC, though I would call first.

Yes, there's a temporary supercharger at Montgomery mall (along with a Tesla store). There is also a Tesla store in Tyson's Corner and another in downtown DC, on K and 12th NW. Either might be able to give you access to a HPWC, though I would call first.

There are two HPWC's at Tyson's center mall. One usually has a tesla-owned vehicle plugged in. The other is generally available.

How fast do you need and roughly where in DC are you staying? In addition to the Tesla store/gallery chargers, there are lots of Level 2 options inside the Beltway, several of which are in/near hotel parking garages, according to PlugShare. If you're planning to charge overnight, L2 should be plenty to get you back to Newark DE or Southern MD the next day. But if you'll only be in DC a few hours then the superchargers are probably your only viable option.

I'm familiar with a few options in northern VA. I know a number of Model S owners used L2 chargers near hotels in Crystal City during a local event in February, and I know of a Residence Inn in Ballston that has L2 charging in its garage. Just a bit outside the Beltway and just south of Tyson's in Merrifield VA, the Mosaic District has several free L2 chargers near a Hyatt House hotel.

By the way, Tyson's has at least one NEMA 14-50 outlet in addition to its HPWCs in the Tesla parking area. Also, I agree with JST and recommend calling the store ahead of time if you want to be sure of charging there.

One of the bigger issues with DC is that L2 chargers tend to be located in garages which are unavailable for overnight parking, and often close by 8pm, unless you have a monthly pass. There are some exceptions depending on where you're staying. It would be helpful, as mentioned by paulkva, to know how long you have to charge, what time it will be and the area you'll be to make recommendations.

Others have mentioned the Tesla store. I don't know how late the chargers are available. There's the Hotel Madera in Dupont Circle, they have 24/7 access. Driving to Montgomery Mall is a pain, and the chargers are often in use, so you might get stuck with an HPWC or 14-50.

I am driving up to an event at the Kennedy Center from southern MD after driving there from NJ. I'll stop in Newark DE to supercharge on my way south. I thought if I could get close to 200 mi. in DC during the event I would be set to return to southern MD and then back home through Newark. Wouldn't mind parking the model S to charge and cabbing or metro to dinner and the event, and back to the car...

I am driving up to an event at the Kennedy Center from southern MD after driving there from NJ. I'll stop in Newark DE to supercharge on my way south. I thought if I could get close to 200 mi. in DC during the event I would be set to return to southern MD and then back home through Newark. Wouldn't mind parking the model S to charge and cabbing or metro to dinner and the event, and back to the car...

There are lots of 30 Amp L2 chargers in garages in the K Street/GW area, but those won't give you that much juice.

Best bet is the garage in the building where the Tesla store is (see link). I would call the store and give them your arrival time and see if they can have a charger available.

Find Us | Tesla Motors

It would require an extra stop. Since the car has to be parked while at the Kennedy Center, and since the KC charges something like $22 to park, it makes a lot of sense to park and charge offsite and cab or uber over.