Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecting Apple TV to Model S display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This project will be a team effort I'm looking for someone with more knowledge then I have......I hope you can help me my goal to alow me to attach a Apple TV (HDMI out) into my current display on my Tesla Model S the Model s currently has a backup camera Omni Visions OV10630 that attaches to the 17" display via LVDS connection.

I will be splitting the signal using this product OpenEV Store - Tesla Front Camera Switch (most people use this switch for a front camera I want to use it for an HDMI input)

I need to conver one of the LVDS inputs to HDMI input do you have ideas....

Thanks.

LVDS to HDMI convertor

Half in jest, but may wish to consider:

Get an iPad mini. Put some sticky tape on the back. Bring up the Reverse Camera on the 17" display. Stick the Mini over the Reverse Camera display. Done.

Now you have everything an AppleTV can do, plus way more, like cellular data access and apps like Waze.

Isn't gonna work. I've been involved with artsci on the camera switch kit you referenced, which was designed by WhiteP85. The touchscreen will only work with the signal from the Tesla camera. No other signal, from an LVDS camera or otherwise, will result in an image display on the touchscreen. We have tried. But would love to be proved wrong.

Isn't gonna work. I've been involved with artsci on the camera switch kit you referenced, which was designed by WhiteP85. The touchscreen will only work with the signal from the Tesla camera. No other signal, from an LVDS camera or otherwise, will result in an image display on the touchscreen. We have tried. But would love to be proved wrong.
The trick then is figuring out how it knows it's a "tesla approved" camera, vs another camera, and to hack that. (fake the same signal, or interface further in to the circuit of the camera itself instead of at the port (not saying it's easy, but there's always a way with the right resources/skills))

• Love
Reactions: davidc18

Any idea what the make/model of the camera is? One could probably spoof it, though it might require some shenanigans with an FPGA.

I have reached out to Omni Visions to get a spec sheet on the OV10630 camra. I used my work email (a tech Company) to see what information I can get. Currently looking for a well versed programmer and engineer to help unfortunately I can't use the ones at work it's a conflict... I don't give up that easy you guys have been great if you know any engineers/programmers send them my way...

thanks

The group is still trying to get info from OnmiVision on how to reprogram the Tesla camera so that it does not reverse the image (which is required for use on the back of the car, but is not desired for the front usage). While the cut sheet can be found on the Internet, OmniVision so far will not share any info without an NDA. Someone was told the touchscreen can configure the camera, but no one at Tesla is talking how to do that.

The Tesla camera module has a little PIC12F on it, it is used to manage the camera set-up. I think it extracts I2C bus which is encoded onto the LVDS lines somehow. I wonder if anyone is brave enough to remove that PIC, see if the firmware is protected, and try changing it.

HDCP is so broken, it's not even funny any more. It is easy to legitimately bypass it by using commercially available HDMI deserialiser ICs. For example the Analog Devices ADV7619.

The Tesla camera module has a little PIC12F on it, it is used to manage the camera set-up. I think it extracts I2C bus which is encoded onto the LVDS lines somehow. I wonder if anyone is brave enough to remove that PIC, see if the firmware is protected, and try changing it.
Does one need to go to that extreme? or could someone tap a video feed of some form in front of the chip and just let it do it's thing?

Does one need to go to that extreme? or could someone tap a video feed of some form in front of the chip and just let it do it's thing?
Based on the amount of time required to get the front camera to work (and even then it's a reversed image), it's likely to be a very non-trivial task.

Based on the amount of time required to get the front camera to work (and even then it's a reversed image), it's likely to be a very non-trivial task.
I never suggested it would be easy, but anything is possible with enough effort and will. I was simply suggesting a different approach to the same problem. Sometimes people get focused on one solution, and overlook a different way of approaching the same problem. Often that different way proves to be less difficult in the long run.

My point was that often people focus too hard on getting the output of something working right, when it's sometimes easier to work on the input. Remember, at some point the image is just an image, if you catch it before it gets mutilated it's probably some form of standard that can be worked with.

I'm really hoping now that Tesla is shipping to more countries, especially China, we'll see more efforts at video input to the main screen. I had a great mod for my M3 which integrated a rear view camera and also composite video/s video input to the M3's 7" screen, yet put the M3's great parking sensor graphical display as a picture in picture window.

"If you can somehow open LCD in your Tesla and let me know model of LCD
used and probably make couple hi-res photos of LCD control board, then
I can propose any other solution to implement your idea."
I think your engineer is looking at this from the wrong angle, my guess is that he's trying to take over the whole display and show whatever video input you want, this is probably actually relatively straight forward, but not what most people want. People want the video to appear in a window, the easiest of those to hijack is the backup camera's display. I suggest he look at the camera end rather than the LCD display.