Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd row ventilation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shame on Tesla over this issue. They have done absolutely nothing. Customers shouldn't have to be shopping on Amazon for hoses and fans to make those 3rd row seats functional. Let's call it what it is - a complete, fundamental failure of Tesla design process. Who puts kids' seats in the back, underneath the rear glass hatch and in direct sun, without addressing ventilation? I'm surprised we haven't seen an NHTSA complaint over this, as I surely would have filed one if I was a parent. Plenty of reports of kids vomiting, getting sick, red faced, crying, sweating... come on!

Most likely, the 3rd row seats were a marketing afterthought. Someone should challenge Elon to put his kids back there on a summer day in California and to drive for an hour or so. I suspect he would not take that challenge. This issue bugs me because it involves the safety and comfort of children as well as a complete non-response from Tesla. Shameful.

Tint along with pano and rear liftgate sunshades should help.

Also, Elon tweeted: "Turning recirc off, windows closed and the right film on rear glass usually works." (since incoming cabin air is rear exhausted)

Huh, I don't remember seeing that disclaimer anywhere on the order page. It sounds to me like Tesla owes some owners money for a useless upgrade that was purchased without the full disclosure.

I think any sort of retrofit from the factory is going to cost $$$ for them.

Any retrofits for this issue should be FREE to owners, as they spent money on a feature that was not designed properly and that the CEO even admitted (above) does not work without jumping through hoops - hoops that were never stated to customers that were necessary to make this feature usable in warmer climates.

Those of you who have followed my posts know that I love Tesla. Some have accused me of being a fanboy because I love this company and their products so much. But in this case, let's call it what it is. I think owners who paid for this upgrade, but who are unable to use it because of Tesla's failure to design proper ventilation to those 3rd seats, are owed a refund.

I specifically ordered the jumpseats for my grandchildren and really looked forward to family vacations. Even though my car is tinted with photosync, during our 4 hour drive to Lake Tahoe the kids began to complain about two hours into the trip about it being hot. We turned up the AC, but the ventilation does not reach the rear. This really is a design flaw on Tesla and hope they can come up with a real solution.

Until I get my ventilation system up and running, I've found that if you put the far right middle row seat down (if you can) and point the rear AC vents to the right, some air does creep into the back, but it only helps the kid sitting on the right side.

Here's my current set up. Seems to actually work as the kids have really reduced their complaining today. Today was in the high to mid 70's.

Two fans: http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Powe...e=UTF8&qid=1408933128&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+fan

Solar Panel Charger 10000mAh Dual-Port Portable Charger Backup External Battery Power Pack:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FXWGRHU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The beauty of this set up is the kids can turn the fans on/off themselves if they need it. Also, the power pack is solar charging so you rarely have to add power to it as long as you park out in the sun for part of the day.

I've played around with the location quite a bit and have settled right now on the center. I have the rear vents pointed at the fans. The fans seem to be doing a reasonable job of pulling that cold air into the back trunk area.

Ever since I've had this setup, the kids have complained a lot less. Oh, I also have photosync as well as the sun visor screen in the back too.

IMG_0764.jpg
IMG_0765.JPG

Once I'm really satisfied with the location, I'll look for a more aesthetically appealing way of mounting or attaching the fans to that location.

Here's my current set up. Seems to actually work as the kids have really reduced their complaining today. Today was in the high to mid 70's.

Two fans: http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Powe...e=UTF8&qid=1408933128&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+fan

Solar Panel Charger 10000mAh Dual-Port Portable Charger Backup External Battery Power Pack:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FXWGRHU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The beauty of this set up is the kids can turn the fans on/off themselves if they need it. Also, the power pack is solar charging so you rarely have to add power to it as long as you park out in the sun for part of the day.

I've played around with the location quite a bit and have settled right now on the center. I have the rear vents pointed at the fans. The fans seem to be doing a reasonable job of pulling that cold air into the back trunk area.

Ever since I've had this setup, the kids have complained a lot less. Oh, I also have photosync as well as the sun visor screen in the back too.

Once I'm really satisfied with the location, I'll look for a more aesthetically appealing way of mounting or attaching the fans to that location.

I very much like the simplicity of this fan implementation. Minimal back seat interference, great location for air circulation, and looks to be removable in seconds. I'd probably copy this implementation and run 12v to usb from the front except for the worry about the long hair issue. My son has long hair and his female cousins have even longer hair. The more I stare at it though, the more it looks like this wouldn't be an issue for the kids in the back if a piece of tape were applied over a small portion of the side of the back up against the kids headrest, to keep stray hair from sucking in. Looks like a great and simple solution for many people though, thanks for sharing.

I have two girls, one 8 and the other 5 with very long hair. Maybe because their hair is so long, waist length, that this has never been a problem. Thanks for the compliments, just trying to help myself and the community!