Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Test Rocket Explodes After McGregor, TX Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can a mod change the thread title to "SpaceX Test Rocket Explodes After Launch"
Got it, thanks.

-----

Statement from SpaceX:
Earlier today, in McGregor, Texas, SpaceX conducted a test flight of a three engine version of the F9R test vehicle (successor to Grasshopper). During the flight, an anomaly was detected in the vehicle and the flight termination system automatically terminated the mission.

Throughout the test and subsequent flight termination, the vehicle remained in the designated flight area. There were no injuries or near injuries. An FAA representative was present at all times.

With research and development projects, detecting vehicle anomalies during the testing is the purpose of the program. Today’s test was particularly complex, pushing the limits of the vehicle further than any previous test. As is our practice, the company will be reviewing the flight record details to learn more about the performance of the vehicle prior to our next test.

SpaceX will provide another update when the flight data has been fully analyzed.

Last edited:
Video of explosion:

Rocket Explodes at Space X

Edit: Direct Link:

https://gray-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/ftpupl/kwtx/839c12f5211f48bea0bddacf61f246ac_Spacex_Grasshopper__2_.m4v

Edit 2: Now on Youtube:

SpaceX F9RDev1 Flight Termination/Explosion (Friday Aug 22 2014) - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

"So we're 5-for-5 testing on this Grasshopper. But, but that means we're not pushing hard enough. We've got to tunnel one of those vehicle into the ground by trying something really hard. We haven't done that yet. So now our challenge to our test team is you've got to push hard enough that we're going to see something happen. A spectacular video."--Gwynne Shotwell, June 2013.

Credit to username "e of pi" over on the NSF forums for finding this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boo. Get ready for a troll fest. We might realize that SpaceX is pushing the envelope and their equipment but others will just take the opportunity to bash SpaceX.

I remember reading that quote from Gywnne a while ago. Seeing as nobody was hurt, no taxpayer dollars wasted, and hopefully SpaceX learned something from the telemetry, I can't see how anybody could bash them.

Rocketry did not evolve from a series of successful test flights.

Something like this was bound to happen eventually. These are rocket tests with engines burning thousands of gallons of fuel a minute at high pressure. Rockets are required to have onboard "self-destruct" explosives just in case they veer off course. This is most likely what happened based on the wording of Elon's tweet. SpaceX is no different.

Something like this was bound to happen eventually. These are rocket tests with engines burning thousands of gallons of fuel a minute at high pressure. Rockets are required to have onboard "self-destruct" explosives just in case they veer off course. This is most likely what happened based on the wording of Elon's tweet. SpaceX is no different.

Right. It's not like the rocket exploded by itself (which is what the headline suggests), rather it was a controlled self-destruct. Big difference.

Looks like from the video at two different angles it stopped firing the engines and then refired... Shortly thereafter... Boom. So the veering off course bit seems plausible. I hope no cows were harmed in the testing of this rocket :p

- - - Updated - - -

"So we're 5-for-5 testing on this Grasshopper. But, but that means we're not pushing hard enough. We've got to tunnel one of those vehicle into the ground by trying something really hard. We haven't done that yet. So now our challenge to our test team is you've got to push hard enough that we're going to see something happen. A spectacular video."--Gwynne Shotwell, June 2013.

Well, only took them a year... but... mission accomplished! :)

I imagine the conversation went something like this:
Hey! What happened! What did you do!?
Well, remember a little over a year ago you said we weren't trying hard enough and you wanted a spectacular video? Well, you can put THAT on my annual review as accomplishing that goal!

Because of the way this forum is used by so many, with various agendas, I wish the mods had altered the headline by using the word "destroyed" in place of "explodes". The latter connotes something uncontrolled, in my opinion.

Because of the way this forum is used by so many, with various agendas, I wish the mods had altered the headline by using the word "destroyed" in place of "explodes". The latter connotes something uncontrolled, in my opinion.

Agreed. Although it wasn't the intention of this flight to test the FTS system, it in fact was the first example of real test of spacex's in-house autonomous FTS system on the F9. Worked as designed. I am sure a lot of things were learned on this flight, despite the end result.

I titled the thread exactly as the article, it was breaking news & nowhere does it state anything about testing or experimenting so adding that to the tittle would not have been accurate, anytime there is a rocket failure, a car crash or battery fire or anything that might be taken negatively should be water-downed I guess.

Last edited:
I titled the thread exactly as the article, it was breaking news & nowhere does it state anything about testing or experimenting so adding that to the tittle would not have been accurate, anytime there is a rocket failure, a car crash or battery fire or anything that might be taken negatively should be water-downed I guess.

I don't think any offence at all was meant to you by revising the thread title. It was just a more accurate description, like the fact that battery fires are not nearly as bad as the media initially made out, with sensationalized titled articles, and same goes for car crashes articles since the Tesla is the safest car out there in its class.

I don't get offended, Mods changing titles don't bother me, they can delete the whole thread & I wouldn't care, I am just pointing out that a forum member wanted a title change 1 minute after I posted the thread & still today more changes are being requested without providing any new information, let SpaceX investigate what went wrong & release their findings when ready & stop worrying about thread tittles.

CNN ran a pretty fair article about what happened:
Experimental SpaceX rocket self-detonates over Texas - CNN.com

Also, here's the write up at NASA Space Flight:
Eventful Friday for SpaceX amid Static Fire and Test Failure | NASASpaceFlight.com

- - - Updated - - -

Cleaned up, stabilized and zoomed in version:

F9R Dev1 [moment of explosion] - YouTube

Again, borrowed from the nice people at the NSF forums.

You can actually see it turn sideways, then the engine turns off, then it self destructs.

Last edited by a moderator: