Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

National Drive Electric Day Event - Sarasota

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Please mark your calendars.

Day:
Saturday, September 20, 2014
Time:
10 am - 3 pm
1600 Ken Thompson Parkway
Sarasota, FL 34236

Below is a link to the National Drive Electric Day Event - Sarasota. (Formerly called National Plug-In Day)

If you would like to register to display your Tesla for free, please follow this link:

https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=166

I look forward to seeing you there.

Larry

Last edited:
Building up the advance publicity here in Sarasota:

Watch out for feature stories on SNN and Fox13-Tampa Bay tonight.

We'll have owners with cars, test drives from Ford, Chevy, Tesla and BMW, food, music, family fun, caricaturist and half-price ticket entry to Mote Aquarium!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking forward to Saturday. Any plans for the Tesla folks to meet up for lunch, perhaps at the salty dog across the street? It is my first of these elec day events, so I dont know the level of the crowds, schedule, etc. --Alex

Hi Alex,

I'd be up for an impromptu meet-up. However, after being out in the heat for several hours I would rather go to an air conditioned restaurant.

The schedule is from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm. The display EVs will arrive before 9:30 am. There are currently 24 registered display EVs, comprised of 10 different types and 120 registered guests.

Larry

NATIONAL DRIVE ELECTRIC WEEK TO “ELECTRIFY THE ISLAND” AT MOTE

Electric vehicles and other eco-friendly technologies will show their power during “Electrify the Island”: the Sarasota-based festival for the nationwide celebration National Drive Electric Week.This free event will take place from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Saturday Sept. 20, on the grounds of Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium on City Island, Sarasota. Mote is a world-class marine science and education institution that launched a Sustainable Energy Initiative in 2012 to enhance the Lab’s environmentally sound practices.
Electrify the Island will feature a plug-in electric vehicle (EV) expo, ride-and-drive sessions that allow visitors to test some of the sleekest EVs around, including cars from Gettel Nissan, Sunset Chevrolet and Tesla, along with vendors focused on sustainability and energy efficiency, educational booths, great food and a special discount at Mote Aquarium (below). Electric vehicle experts and owners will be on hand to showcase the latest in EV technology and help share the benefits of driving electric.
Florida Power & Light Company (FPL), partner in Electrify the Island and multiple Drive Electric Week events in Florida, will present its “Electric Avenue,” where attendees can enjoy a photo op with the hybrid-electric Porsche Panamera and other activities. Electric vehicle owners can also visit FPL’s special hospitality tent where they can participate in exclusive contests and more. FPL is committed to serve as a trusted source of information on electric vehicles for its customers. (FPL.com/DriveElectricWeek)

• Full event details for the public below.
  • To sponsor this event or become a vendor, contact Stacy Alexander at 941-388-4441, ext. 509,[email protected] or contact Chris Sharek at 941-915-6003, [email protected]
  • To RSVP your EV for display, contact Patrick Gannon at 941-357-6224, [email protected]
This is the third National Drive Electric Week (formerly called National Plug In Day) celebration held in Sarasota, following previous successful events at Mote and St. Armands Circle. This year’s event will spark even more enthusiasm as part of the coast-to-coast national celebration involving more than 80 locations across the U.S. Together, these events aim to draw global attention to the environmental and economic benefits of plug-in EVs.
Electrify the Island is possible thanks to national partners Electric Auto Association, Plug In America and Sierra Club along with local partners Apollo Sunguard, Brilliant Harvest, Eco-Smart, FPL, Gettel Nissan, Region Solar and Sunset Auto Group.
“It means a lot to Mote Marine Laboratory to host this stellar event once again — the Lab has worked hard to implement sustainable technology and practices, such as the electric vehicle charger at our public Aquarium, the arrays of solar panels on our buildings and the water-recycling technology we’ve used for years in fish farming research,” said event Co-Chair Mould. “As a nonprofit, Mote has depended a lot on local support to enhance our eco-friendly practices, and we hope to give something back to this great community by hosting Electrify the Island.”
Event Co-Chair Chris Sharek, Engineering Director at NV5 and EV owner, added:
“This event showcases technology that is available here and now. These vehicles not only provide cleaner and cheaper personal transportation, they significantly reduce our dependence on oil and its volatile price swings influenced by global events — and they are quiet and fun to drive!”
Here are a few reasons to get amped up about electric vehicles, according to the National Drive Electric Week web site:

• Electric vehicles are smooth and quiet, and their high torque – even at low speeds – provides instant accelerator response and better performance in snow.
  • Driving on electricity is about five times cheaper than fueling with gasoline and maintenance for EVs costs much less than for gas vehicles.
  • Electric and hybrid vehicles are creating thousands of American jobs. Advanced technology vehicles and components are being built in at least 20 states.
  • The cars and light trucks on the road today account for about 20 percent of US carbon dioxide emissions, while all-electric vehicles have no tail pipe emissions. Even accounting for the electricity produced to charge EVs, these vehicles on average emit significantly less carbon dioxide than conventional vehicles.
  • As we clean up the electric grid even more, including more renewable energy sources such as solar and wind, EV use will get even cleaner over time.
  • Less carbon dioxide is beneficial for planet Earth – especially for our oceans. Recent increases in manmade carbon dioxide are driving climate change and ocean acidification that pose a major threat to coral reefs – the rainforests of the sea.

- - - Updated - - -

Attendance info:

Electrify the Island: If You Go
  • Event timing: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 20.
  • Location: Event takes place on the grounds of Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway on City Island, Sarasota.
  • Mote discount: Event attendees will receive discount admission to Mote Aquarium on Sept. 20 only: $10 for adults, $9 for seniors (65 and older) and $5 for kids (ages 4-12). Age 3 and younger free. Coupons will be available at the event. Coupon must be presented during on-site ticket purchase on Sept. 20. Coupons cannot be used for online ticket purchases, for a refund after your purchase or in combination with any other offer. Mote admission not required to attend Electrify the Island.
  • More information about National Drive Electric Week: Visit www.driveelectricweek.org. To locate this year’s event at Mote, search “Sarasota.”

The event is free, entrance to Mote Aquarium is optional.

Really nice, NigelM. No offense to Larry, but, personally, I think it was better with her. But that just may be my opinion....

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Alex,

I'd be up for an impromptu meet-up. However, after being out in the heat for several hours I would rather go to an air conditioned restaurant.

The schedule is from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm. The display EVs will arrive before 9:30 am. There are currently 24 registered display EVs, comprised of 10 different types and 120 registered guests.

Larry
OK, we can chat during the event, and take it as it comes. I was thinking about lunch, which is during the event, so a salty dog fish sandwich close by seemed to be right. What air cond restaurants are within walking distance?

Really nice, NigelM. No offense to Larry, but, personally, I think it was better with her. But that just may be my opinion....

No offense taken. I couldn't agree more.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, we can chat during the event, and take it as it comes. I was thinking about lunch, which is during the event, so a salty dog fish sandwich close by seemed to be right. What air cond restaurants are within walking distance?

Ah, I see what you mean.

Last year there was a food vendor at the event and after we drove to the Beachhouse for dinner.

I don't believe that there are any air conditioned restaurants within walking distance.

Larry

Last year there was a food vendor at the event and after we drove to the Beachhouse for dinner.

I don't believe that there are any air conditioned restaurants within walking distance.

Larry

Same food vendor will be there again. The only air conditioned eatery within walking distance is the one inside the aquarium. The Salty Dog usually has a nice breeze midday.

Larry, if it's just the two of you I'm sure Hayley would let you into the aquarium for lunch.

A wet day in Sarasota but a great turn-out nevertheless! Many thanks to my Co-Chair Chris Sharek who ran everything while I was away at a friends wedding, to Florida Power and Light for their support and to our City and County civic leaders for taking the time to come down and recognize the event; thanks also as always to Larry Chanin and members of the Florida Tesla Enthusiasts group for turning out with lots of cars and always being willing to talk to the visitors. Finally, great thanks to Mote Marine Laboratory for hosting the event free of charge once again, for the charging stations and for all their sustainable energy initiatives.

All of the following photographs are courtesy of Mote Marine Lab:

20140920_9997.JPG
20140920_9827.JPG
20140920_9832.JPG
20140920_9836.JPG
20140920_9841.jpg
20140920_9846.JPG
20140920_9914.JPG
20140920_9855.JPG
20140920_9882.JPG
20140920_9892.JPG
20140920_9896.JPG
20140920_9897.JPG
20140920_9904.JPG
20140920_9874.JPG
20140920_9921.JPG
20140920_9934.JPG
20140920_9940.JPG
20140920_9958.JPG
20140920_9962.JPG
20140920_9987.JPG
20140920_9990.JPG
20140920_9993.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a news report from the Bradenton Herald => http://www.bradenton.com/electrify-the-island-event-attracts

A few photos courtesy of The Bradenton Herald (more on their website):

Tesla brought down a Black P85+ for test drives
395XE.AuSt.69.jpeg

David Havasi from Tesla Motors talks to local activists and interested customers
1evsSZ.AuSt.69.jpeg

pCJC2.AuSt.69.jpeg

Larry's Sig red Model S and my Roadster hiding behind him
KprCf.AuSt.69.jpeg