Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Delay - 2014 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if others are experiencing recent delivery delay after factory retooling at beginning of August 2014. I ordered in first half of May 2014. Initial delivery date was set for the end of August. Now in limbo without any projected delivery date. Are some car configurations more likely to be delayed? Thanks for any comments.

Wondering if others are experiencing recent delivery delay after factory retooling at beginning of August 2014. I ordered in first half of May 2014. Initial delivery date was set for the end of August. Now in limbo without any projected delivery date. Are some car configurations more likely to be delayed? Thanks for any comments.

Scheduled for Sept 4 delivery, and my DS told me my car was schedule to wrap production this (past) week. I haven't gone into production yet, so I'm assuming my delivery date will get pushed back as well. It hasn't actually gotten pushed back yet, but I'm very skeptical when my DS says it's still on track.

Pretty lame, but no sense worrying about something I can't control.

*UPDATE*: Just spoke to my DS. Delivery delayed ~2 weeks. New delivery date "latter half of September."

Last edited:
I like DelayGate for the internal rhyming.

I'm trying to be stoic about this. I haven't officially heard I'm delayed yet, but since other people with deliveries around mine (12th of September) are now getting delayed I expect I will hear something any time now. I'd rather have a delayed car that's reliable then an on-time car that was rushed and has multiple issues. Time for distractions....

I like DelayGate for the internal rhyming.

I'm trying to be stoic about this. I haven't officially heard I'm delayed yet, but since other people with deliveries around mine (12th of September) are now getting delayed I expect I will hear something any time now. I'd rather have a delayed car that's reliable then an on-time car that was rushed and has multiple issues. Time for distractions....

I'm pretty sure my delivery date of Sept 29 is going to get pushed with stories I've been hearing about earlier Sept deliveries being pushed. Nothing I can control. :)

Quarter boundaries are a Big Deal for Tesla because they want to have good news for # of cars delivered for their quarterly reports. I think they will put in a great deal of effort to avoid having delivery dates cross the quarter-end. You may still get delayed but they will be working very, very hard to keep as many deliveries on this side of September 30th as they can.

I read a post somewhere about the factory configuration. That the new line is in a different place in the building, Was it really needed to shut down and "retool" rAther than just overlap them, say run the new line slowly in July and ramp it up in August?

I read a post somewhere about the factory configuration. That the new line is in a different place in the building, Was it really needed to shut down and "retool" rAther than just overlap them, say run the new line slowly in July and ramp it up in August?

I did the factory tour before when they only had one line. It's a breathtaking logistical flow. Several possibilities come to mind:

(1) The needed their most senior people from the first line to get the second line up and running.

(2) There is still some shared equipment, like the main (giant) hydraulic press, and they needed to modify operations on line 1 to allow lines 1 and 2 to interleave smoothly.

(3) They took this opportunity to fix known issues/bottlenecks the existing line, so that both new lines work optimally and, to the extent possible, identically.

My dashboard still shows In Production but the delivery date has gone from late September to October. Our 2013 Range Rover Evoque had similar issues which pushed delivery from November to December last year, in that case it was problems with the software for the new 9 speed gearbox.
I am sure that moving production was well planned as it is the lifeblood of the company, but there is always something you can't predict. Seeing how this little start up company already managed to leapfrog ahead of companies like Mercedes, BMW and Audi with three hundred years experience between them, it's only a glitch I'm sure.

Thanks for the link. I'm learning quickly about everyone's delays. Will update when I get a date from DS. Wish I didn't live across the country from the factory. Transit time and distance do matter. I do like seeing so many Super Chargers in FL.

The delays are undoubtedly because they just reconfigured the entire factory floor. Revalidating equipment always takes longer than expected. Always. As I posted on another thread, they've been using some of the service area to finish up final manufacturing detailing and such, working weekends, while they finish getting the factory floor running smoothly again. (I was in Fremont last weekend, so observed personally.) That's all normal and to be expected after reconfiguration. Not a surprise by any means. Everyone was upbeat about the changes, things will be normal again shortly.

Model X has nothing to do with current delays, since they haven't even finalized for beta design - which would then mean they were making dies and about to stamp parts. But they aren't there yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. They didn't just add a new line. Process work flows have been changed to increase efficiency. This was all planned and necessary for production expansion going forward.

They could be be attempting to fill orders earlier for those outside the US. Maybe working on a batch of right-handed cars currently. It must take awhile for a car to get across the states and then the Atlantic!
Very exciting for you.

I guess this makes sense giving shipping time. It's been a long wait and now I have to delay a week due to work related travel. Still very excited.