Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone control capability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just out -- Tesla will be offering a newly updated software that will allow one to use their iPhone to unlock and start their Model S, among other things. Although it has just been announced for the Model S, I am posting in this thread as the timing in probably related to the soon to be released Model X. Part of Elon's "this car will blow your socks off" thinking.

Tesla Motors Will Let Model S Owners Use Their iPhone As A Key

Ron
SigX res# 1015

It was not "announced" by Tesla. It seems likely based on photos taken of what appear to be the V6 release notes in a BETA version of the software. The photos probably violate the NDA the cars owner signed to get the beta software, but the story is a friend of the opener took the photos and posted them on TMC. This is extensively discussed in another thread.

Although it has just been announced for the Model S, I am posting in this thread as the timing in probably related to the soon to be released Model X. Part of Elon's "this car will blow your socks off" thinking

I understand the excitement about Model X but the connection here is tenuous at best. From a marketing/sales strategy point of view you don't create a "blow your socks off" moment for your new product by releasing all the new features first on a previous iteration of your product.

Other manufacturers are catching up. Have you seen BMW's i8's key?
uploadfromtaptalk1408884837832.jpg

This is stupid. It costs more than the smart phone Tesla will allow you to use to turn your car on with. (BMW i8 key replacement cost... around $1,000.)
BMW has an app as well, which I am sure will end up with the same functionality as well if it is not already there. And don't forget you can't drive a Tesla without a key, either. Replacement costs will probably not be too different. But that's ok, you don't have to buy an i8.

And don't forget you can't drive a Tesla without a key, either.

You can if you have FW v6.0

- - - Updated - - -

WRT to the BMW fob, personally I don't want to carry round a key that's the size of a small phone and which I have to remember to charge up at night; BMW has been quiet on the technology and whether this is just BT connected to the car (which negates it's real usefulness) or if it will utilize phone technology, and if the latter why not just use an app (a la Tesla).