Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone ever purchased a Roadster AFTER their Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my S. I've had it about a year now, love everything about it. I came from driving ultra-high performance sports cars so naturally I miss the cornering, and tightness of a small sports car. I've yet to drive the Roadster since there are so few in Vegas, but I'm curious to know if anyone has had a similar itch to fulfill?

Mentally, I'm debating between starting to look for a Roadster or whatever new sports model / halo car Tesla releases after the Model 3. Either way, I probably wouldn't buy one until 2016 at the earliest as the wifey is in med school, would need to get her a Model X or 3, but it's just been on my mind a lot lately, and I'm a bit of a planner.

I've read the rumors / speculations that Tesla will produce a Roadster replacement in 2017, we shall see how true that is...

What are your thoughts? Has anyone ever added the Roadster to their fleet post Model S purchase?

I love my S. I've had it about a year now, love everything about it. I came from driving ultra-high performance sports cars so naturally I miss the cornering, and tightness of a small sports car. I've yet to drive the Roadster since there are so few in Vegas, but I'm curious to know if anyone has had a similar itch to fulfill?

Mentally, I'm debating between starting to look for a Roadster or whatever new sports model / halo car Tesla releases after the Model 3. Either way, I probably wouldn't buy one until 2016 at the earliest as the wifey is in med school, would need to get her a Model X or 3, but it's just been on my mind a lot lately, and I'm a bit of a planner.

I've read the rumors / speculations that Tesla will produce a Roadster replacement in 2017, we shall see how true that is...

What are your thoughts? Has anyone ever added the Roadster to their fleet post Model S purchase?

Yes, I purchased the roadster almost a year after owning the model S. I absolutely loved the performance and quality of service from Tesla. When they offered the Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) directly from Tesla that was the match made in heaven. The warranty provided the security from Tesla for a used vehicle. I enjoy driving the roadster more than I enjoy the model S. I feeling you get from driving a roadster is second to none. Hope you get to test drive one if you're truly interested. Warning, one drive and you will be hooked.

I love my S. I've had it about a year now, love everything about it. I came from driving ultra-high performance sports cars so naturally I miss the cornering, and tightness of a small sports car. I've yet to drive the Roadster since there are so few in Vegas, but I'm curious to know if anyone has had a similar itch...

YES. Love the S but it's the biggest car I've ever owned. Fantastic road trip car but too big for me. Have driven the Roadster, it is awesome. Definitely will be getting one as soon as possible. Sorry I missed out on the flood of CPO Roadsters last year.

Can't wait the five years or whatever it will be for Tesla to come out with their next two seater sports car.

I actually wrote the following elsewhere on the forum about a year ago I think:

I'm sure I can't be the only one, but I purchased a Model S first, then a Roadster second. I test drove new Roadsters back in 2010, but fully loaded at $140K to $160K, I just couldn't pull the trigger and ended up buying a new Lotus Evora for $80K. I put a deposit down for a Model S in June 2010, then enjoyed my Evora for a few years with the intention of selling it when the Model S arrived. The main reason for looking at the Roadster and the Evora was that I wanted something you don't see at every stoplight. Fast forward to December 2012, I sell my Evora, and my Model S is delivered, as planned.

However, things did not work out as I thought. The Model S was to be "my car", however I work at home and my wife drives about 45 minutes to work every day, in traffic. So she drove it a few days, using the carpool lane, and cutting her drive time to and from work in half. And it didn't cost any gas. Several months down the road, I find the only time I get to "borrow" my car is on the weekends. So I gave up my Lotus and ended up with the other older, leftover car. Doesn't seem right. Luckily my wife agreed.

I knew I wanted another sports car, and started the hunt. Would really like to get a Roadster, but I remember them priced at $140K to $160K. To my surprise the prices dropped drastically - mainly because Tesla took so many in on trade, added 3 year warranties, and started selling them like hot cakes. I corresponded with the Tesla CPO guy for a few months - discussing all of the CPO cars as soon as they came in, before they hit the website or ebay. Nothing would match up - I wanted a 2.5, certain colors, certain options. I ended up running across an extremely well kept Electric Blue 2.5 right here on the forum, across the country, and bought it. Luckily I was on a business trip and stopped by to test drive and meet the owner before deciding on the purchase.

I have had the Roadster now for almost 2 months, and love it. When I purchased it I made sure to purchase one that was still within the factory warranty. I know it's a big investment of $12,500, but that was a requirement that I set before looking. So I went into Tesla and paid the bill, and now I know I have worry free driving for 3 years / 36K miles. You get the same with the CPO cars. So all is well - I have my sports car, my wife has the Model S, and we are both driving electric - which I actually had never thought I would do. Like many of us, I'm a car guy - restoring my 69 Camaro and 65 Mustang right now - can't give up the muscle cars. But things have changed for me pretty drastically. I still read all of the magazines - Car & Driver, Road & Track, AutoWeek, Automobile, etc. But, when I see a cool new car, like the Jaguar F-type, I read about it, but would never buy it - it's not electric. I also go to the San Francisco auto show every year at Thanksgiving to see all of the new cars for the year. This year, I may not go, I'm really not interested in anything else at all.

So if you can get a nice Roadster, get it - you will love it. But beware, it could change your outlook on cars completely. I'm desperate to get on the list for the Tesla Roadster replacement, supercar, or whatever it will be a few years down the road. That may be the only car I can replace my Roadster with. If you put a Ferrari 458 in front of me, or an Aventador, or anything else of that caliber, I would love to drive it around for a few weeks, but I would rather own my Roadster. And to top that off, I see those much more often then Roadsters, at least here in the Bay Area.

YES. Love the S but it's the biggest car I've ever owned. Fantastic road trip car but too big for me. Have driven the Roadster, it is awesome. Definitely will be getting one as soon as possible. Sorry I missed out on the flood of CPO Roadsters last year.

Can't wait the five years or whatever it will be for Tesla to come out with their next two seater sports car.

So I take it by your response, you won't be buying a pre-owned Roadster (unless the perfect situation comes) and are holding out for the Roadster replacement? If so, I think I might be in the same boat, I really would like the upgraded electronics of a newer car a la Model S, my only conflict is wanting to own a part of history in the Roadster. If I did buy one, I don't think I would ever sell it, I would begin my Tesla collection: Roadster, Model S, Model X, Model 3, etc. I can realistically see this happening mentally as I'm sure if I purchased a Roadster, I'd have that and already have the S, wife would likely get a model 3, mother-in-law would get an X, etc. I've never been so drawn to something like I am to Tesla. Even during my Porsche obsession period.

I actually wrote the following elsewhere on the forum about a year ago I think:

I'm sure I can't be the only one, but I purchased a Model S first, then a Roadster second. I test drove new Roadsters back in 2010, but fully loaded at $140K to $160K, I just couldn't pull the trigger and ended up buying a new Lotus Evora for $80K. I put a deposit down for a Model S in June 2010, then enjoyed my Evora for a few years with the intention of selling it when the Model S arrived. The main reason for looking at the Roadster and the Evora was that I wanted something you don't see at every stoplight. Fast forward to December 2012, I sell my Evora, and my Model S is delivered, as planned.

However, things did not work out as I thought. The Model S was to be "my car", however I work at home and my wife drives about 45 minutes to work every day, in traffic. So she drove it a few days, using the carpool lane, and cutting her drive time to and from work in half. And it didn't cost any gas. Several months down the road, I find the only time I get to "borrow" my car is on the weekends. So I gave up my Lotus and ended up with the other older, leftover car. Doesn't seem right. Luckily my wife agreed.

I knew I wanted another sports car, and started the hunt. Would really like to get a Roadster, but I remember them priced at $140K to $160K. To my surprise the prices dropped drastically - mainly because Tesla took so many in on trade, added 3 year warranties, and started selling them like hot cakes. I corresponded with the Tesla CPO guy for a few months - discussing all of the CPO cars as soon as they came in, before they hit the website or ebay. Nothing would match up - I wanted a 2.5, certain colors, certain options. I ended up running across an extremely well kept Electric Blue 2.5 right here on the forum, across the country, and bought it. Luckily I was on a business trip and stopped by to test drive and meet the owner before deciding on the purchase.

I have had the Roadster now for almost 2 months, and love it. When I purchased it I made sure to purchase one that was still within the factory warranty. I know it's a big investment of $12,500, but that was a requirement that I set before looking. So I went into Tesla and paid the bill, and now I know I have worry free driving for 3 years / 36K miles. You get the same with the CPO cars. So all is well - I have my sports car, my wife has the Model S, and we are both driving electric - which I actually had never thought I would do. Like many of us, I'm a car guy - restoring my 69 Camaro and 65 Mustang right now - can't give up the muscle cars. But things have changed for me pretty drastically. I still read all of the magazines - Car & Driver, Road & Track, AutoWeek, Automobile, etc. But, when I see a cool new car, like the Jaguar F-type, I read about it, but would never buy it - it's not electric. I also go to the San Francisco auto show every year at Thanksgiving to see all of the new cars for the year. This year, I may not go, I'm really not interested in anything else at all.

So if you can get a nice Roadster, get it - you will love it. But beware, it could change your outlook on cars completely. I'm desperate to get on the list for the Tesla Roadster replacement, supercar, or whatever it will be a few years down the road. That may be the only car I can replace my Roadster with. If you put a Ferrari 458 in front of me, or an Aventador, or anything else of that caliber, I would love to drive it around for a few weeks, but I would rather own my Roadster. And to top that off, I see those much more often then Roadsters, at least here in the Bay Area.

This expresses my sentiments EXACTLY. I came from driving 911 turbo's the last few cars I've had and really miss the semi-exotic daily driver sports car experience. I love the S, it's super practical, I can take my in-laws wherever, but I wish I was in something smaller when I'm alone. I too am itching for the Roadster replacement or Tesla super car if they ever make one. I echo your sentiments when it comes to other cool cars, my current practical fav is the McLaren 650S, but it isn't electric. P1 is but it not fully and crazy money. I can even feel your preferences as I only would want a 2.5 in white with CF bits, very similar to the one another forum member, I believe Tobash, just acquired. Have to be a little responsible for the next year or two while the wife finishes school, but I think after that if a supercar / halo car hasn't been announced I'll be on the hunt for a Roadster in my flavor. It's so great to talk to like-minded people.

No, but I sure wish I was in a position to do so. If I could swing it, I'd buy a Roadster in a heartbeat.

^ me too.
I got to drive the Roadster as a loaner when I took my S in for service. I made the most of those 24 hours (without breaking too many laws ;)
If I could afford it, I would have both, but I can't. When I don't need the storage capacity of my S, perhaps when jobs change, and if the next generation of Roadsters will have been built and I can trade in my S (if I can afford it).

So I take it by your response, you won't be buying a pre-owned Roadster (unless the perfect situation comes) and are holding out for the Roadster replacement? If so, I think I might be in the same boat, I really would like the upgraded electronics of a newer car a la Model S, my only conflict is wanting to own a part of history in the Roadster. If I did buy one, I don't think I would ever sell it, I would begin my Tesla collection: Roadster, Model S, Model X, Model 3, etc. I can realistically see this happening mentally as I'm sure if I purchased a Roadster, I'd have that and already have the S, wife would likely get a model 3, mother-in-law would get an X, etc. I've never been so drawn to something like I am to Tesla. Even during my Porsche obsession period.

Umm...no, I want a used Roadster now! Can't wait for the next one. It will be years away. Just trying to find a used Roadster I can afford. Will probably have to be a 1.5 which in some ways I prefer anyway.

...Has anyone ever added the Roadster to their fleet post Model S purchase?

Though we technically bought our CPO Roadster before the delivery of the Model S, we actually picked up our Roadster after spending a little bit too much time on the teslamotors.com website after finalizing our Model S order and scheduling our delivery.

The cursor hovered over the Pre-Owned Roadster section and my wife saw the Roadsters... To which she turned to me and said... The Model S (which we JUST finalized for her) is yours, I want that one!

And the rest is history.

Just to clarify...

@ecarfan
Your preference for a 1.5 is a value/$ thing not an overall_value thing, correct? Or are there "undesirable features" of > 1.5 that you want to avoid?

I prefer the 1.5 with the Stick to Drive and Reverse and an added 2.5 front bumper. I can't understand the buttons to Drive and Reverse etc a car. I heard it was a design decision Tesla didn't want to take on but had no choice at the time due to a lotus change made. If Tesla really thought the buttons to Drive, Park, Reverse a car was a better way to go wouldn't they have added it to the Model S ?

A Roadster in any form is more fun to drive than a Model S but if you have the means I highly suggest you have them both.

This expresses my sentiments EXACTLY. ... my current practical fav is the McLaren 650S, but it isn't electric. P1 is but it not fully and crazy money. I can even feel your preferences as I only would want a 2.5 in white with CF bits. It's so great to talk to like-minded people.
The guy I bought my (white) roadster from got a Mclaren 650S .. and guess what: he misses the Roadster :)

An observation about waiting for the Roadster Revisited from Tesla - if what you're waiting for is the supercar / halo car from Tesla, then I'm of the opinion that you're waiting closer to 10 years. My reasoning is that once Gen 3 is out, in both a sedan and crossover, then I expect Tesla to tackle 1 or 2 other higher volume markets, before putting the engineering time and resources into a new low volume / high performance car.

If by "sports car" you're just wanting something closer in size to the Roadster (Gen 3 will be smaller than Model S, so it'll be closer to the Roadsters size), and I'm confident there will be a P and P+ package for Gen 3 - I expect the Gen 3 P+ to be Tesla's top-of-the-line sports car for several years that they are actually building. In that case, you might not even need to wait that long - I expect those to be the Signature and early builds of the Gen 3, so getting in line early might be wise :)

- - - Updated - - -

I've been in "Roaster Stalker" mode since Teslive (July, 2013). I blame (and thank) bradleybang for that due to him letting me take his Roadster for a spin in Fremont.

Sounds about right - took me about 6 months to find mine, and that was in the 6 months leading into the big CPO Roadster blowout period, when used Roadsters were everywhere. Good hunting Brian!