Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following is a link where Tesla confirm they will go ahead with a Supercharger network in Australia. Let's hope Tesla have the same high priority geos as noted at the end of the article! Of course, they still need to get organised around a QLD delivery centre......

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08/21/tesla_plots_free_charge_stations_for_oz/

Sadly, I'm sure those will be the highest priority even though there are already third-party chargers in that area. The priorities really should be along the Nullabor, between Queensland and Darwin, along the Great Northern Highway, down the West coast etc. Basically those areas where you are currently lucky to find a roadhouse every 500 km.

Sadly, I'm sure those will be the highest priority even though there are already third-party chargers in that area. The priorities really should be along the Nullabor, between Queensland and Darwin, along the Great Northern Highway, down the West coast etc. Basically those areas where you are currently lucky to find a roadhouse every 500 km.

As noted on my Supercharger maps the priorities are for corridors that are used heavily for tourism and business so that people can get more value out of their cars.

So that would surely include the likes of Kakadu and the Ningaloo reef. Anyway, I'm sure the ultimate goal will be for the network to allow Tesla vehicles to be able to go anywhere that an ICE car can go by the time of the release of the Model III but if the first cars come to Melbourne and Sydney the first super chargers will probably join those two cities and so on in order of where the cars become available. This appears to have been the model adopted in the US.

So that would surely include the likes of Kakadu and the Ningaloo reef. Anyway, I'm sure the ultimate goal will be for the network to allow Tesla vehicles to be able to go anywhere that an ICE car can go by the time of the release of the Model III but if the first cars come to Melbourne and Sydney the first super chargers will probably join those two cities and so on in order of where the cars become available. This appears to have been the model adopted in the US.

I'm sure their plans are to cover nearly the whole continent, especially as their costs come down.

Right now the primary tourist traps on the east coast for locals are the Snowy Mountains, Great Ocean Road, Hunter Valley, Yarra Valley, etc. They need to be covered first.

How many people routinely drive from Colorado to California? Yet these were the first two superchargers to go in. Then Connecticut. Then Delaware. Then they filled in the gaps to effectively allow cross-country travel. A few extra were installed in California early on but that's because that is where Tesla are based and Hollywood and Silicon Valley types can afford to and want to be seen in a Tesla.

How many people routinely drive from Colorado to California? Yet these were the first two superchargers to go in. Then Connecticut. Then Delaware. Effectively allowing cross-country travel. A few extra were installed in California but that's because that is where Tesla are based and Hollywood and Silicon Valley types can afford to and want to be seen in a Tesla.
Lots of people live in the middle of the USA.

Agreed but the point is they don't routinely drive to California or Delaware for tourism or business and even if they could they would have to wait for more super chargers in between first. There was a six month or so gap before they even started the in-fill.

The CHAdeMO adapter has been "Coming Soon" for nearly a year. The only glimmer of hope is that it will be included with all Model S vehicles delivered in Japan and they are set to start deliveries in Mid-September. Japan uses the US inlet, so the status of CHAdeMO adapter for the EU/HK/AUS Type 2 compatible inlet is unknown, but also "coming soon". There are EU cars that were delivered without the adapter even though they were included in the car order. I think they stopped allowing the adapter to be included with the car order at some point because the delivery date was so uncertain.