Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - HECO // Time of Use Meter (TOU) & Dedicated (EV) Meter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WeazL

Moderator - Hawaii
Aug 18, 2013
Oahu, Hawaii
There's a scattering of posts on the Hawaii forum regarding this topic so I thought I'd give it a dedicated thread.

I finally applied for a TOU meter from HECO on Aug. 12th and the very next day I received a letter in the mail acknowledging receipt of the application and indicating that it was being processed. Well, today HECO showed up and changed my meter--only 9 days later. I was surprised as I've heard that others have waited considerably longer. Anyway, time for a lifestyle change. :) I think I'll be doing laundry after 9pm now, haha. Just have to go and setup the charge timer to activate nightly after 9pm when the rates drop.

On that note, I applied for the TOU meter after talking with other members who said it really did reduce their bill. Anyone want to share the benefits (or consequences) they've had so as others who may be considering it have some food for thought?

For those not familiar with this program, HECO's Time of Use (TOU) and dedicated Electric Vehicle (EV) meters allow EV owners the opportunity to charge at a discounted rate at night. However, be aware that the rates during the day are high and peak time is even higher! For appliances such as refrigerators, water heaters, etc. its basically a wash since they run 24/7. Therefore there seems to be great benefit to the program (for most) in my opinion. Below is text from HECO's website discussing the pilot program details. For accuracy, be sure to visit their page for the latest information at http://hawaiianelectric.com/heco/_h...esidential-EV-Pilot-Rates?cpsextcurrchannel=1

Current average cost per kWh (2013 residential figures), (keep in mind that TOU rates will affect these rates accordingly):

Oahu: 34.62 cents
Big Island: 42.17 cents
Maui: 37.82 cents
Molokai: 46.43 cents
Lanai: 46.34 cents

Time of Use (TOU)
RateTime of Day (Weekday)Time of Day (Weekend)Cost/kilowatt-hour
Lower Rates9:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.9:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.6 cents below typical rates
Higher Rates7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.2 1/2 cents above typical rates
Highest Rates5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.not applicable5 1/2 cents above typical rates
1meter_TOU-EV.png

Customers enrolling on Schedule TOU EV will have their existing electric meter changed to a new TOU EV meter. There is no charge to have the meter changed, but there is an additional $1.50 monthly metering charge. To encourage Off-Peak vehicle charging, lower rates will be offered from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. For residential customers on Oahu, the Off-Peak EV charge rate will be about six cents per kilowatt hour (kWh) below the standard. Charging during other times will be possible, but about two to five cents per kWh above the residential rate, depending upon the time of day.

2nd (Dedicated) EV Meter
RateTime of Day (Weekday)Time of Day (Weekend)Cost/kilowatt-hour
Lower Rates9:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.all day7 cents below typical rates
Higher Rates7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.not applicable2 cents above typical rates
2Meters_EV.png

Customers enrolling on Schedule EV-R will have a new EV-R meter installed exclusive for EV charging. The customer must hire a licensed electrician to install and connect the new meter socket. The customer's household load will remain on the existing meter and account. There is no charge to install a new meter, but there is a $1.50 monthly metering charge. To encourage Off-Peak vehicle charging, lower rates will be offered from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekdays and all weekend. For residential customers on Oahu, the Off-Peak EV charge rate will be about seven cents per kilowatt hour (kWh) below the standard. Charging during On-Peak times will be possible, but at about two cents per kWh above the residential rate.

A permit is required for wiring upgrades to support your EV charging system. A new service connection and meter socket is required for Schedule EV-R. Enrollment qualifications for the EV charging rates include closure of applicable building permit(s) for EV charging stations, and a valid, current EV registration.

Hawaiian Electric Companies’ Electric Vehicle (EV) Pilot Rates are open to 1,000 customers on Oahu, 300 in Maui County, and 300 on Hawaii Island for charging highway-capable, four-wheeled electric vehicles. The pilot will be in effect until 2014.

---

Interestingly, the TOU Residential Tariff from HECO lists different rates. It can be found here:
http://hawaiianelectric.com/vcmcontent/StaticFiles/FileScan/PDF/EnergyServices/Tarrifs/HECO/HECORatesTOU-R.pdf

I have had TOU for a while now but hard to say whether it's actually made a difference in our bill. While I've moved 90% of my EV charging to night after 9 PM to take advantage of the rate, I don't think that we've noticed much savings. A couple of factors play into this I think - 1) we have very extensive PV that covers the entire bill plus some and 2) one of our biggest expenses is central AC which obviously is going to be at its highest usage during the daytime when the rates are not as advantageous (though admittedly we're not home during the day for half the days of the week).

I was hoping for a bigger impact and a little disappointed that it hasn't been since there is some hassle involved with trying to move more electrical loads to late night but as a consolation, I tell myself that at least I'm helping out the grid space out the loads.

I actually had the opposite experience of spleen. I signed up for TOU-EV first, then net metering once I got my PV installed. Comparing my usage before and after TOU-EV, I was saving about $40-75/month off my bill, even after the increased use for charging after 9pm. My impact may have been greater because we're generally out during the day and I was more conscious of using heavy drain appliances after 9pm (dryer, washer).