Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer Tire replacement - stay with 21", or drop to 19"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 21" summer tires are worn out (again), and I am trying to assess the options:
- stay with 21" Continentals
- switch to 21" Michelin
- switch to 21" Hankook
- drop down to 19" Michelin PS3 or AS3 with T-sportline wheels

There are several questions in my mind:
1. Cost? How much better is the tread wear with 19" performance tires over 21"?
2. Performance? Am I likely to notice much performance difference if I go with 19" performance tires?
3. Are the T-sportline wheels less susceptible to curb rash?

The simple answer seems to be.. just stay with the 21" Continentals... is that the best answer? Fortunately, all four of my tires need to be replaced, so I can more easily make a change this time.

David

Cost is difficult because obviously you have to factor in that if you go to 19"s you're buying new wheels. You'll save money on tires, but whether you make that cost back or not will depend on how long you keep the car. The tread wear should be similar between the 19"s and 21"s given identical tires. There's nothing inherent to the 21" size that's resulting in increased tread wear, it's the combination of rear camber/toe (also present when running 19"s) and soft compound tires.

The contact patch of the stock 19" sizing is actually slightly larger than that of the 21"s, but that will be offset by the flex in the increased sidewall height. Further, the contact patch on the 19"s is longer and narrower, and length of the patch is one of the primary factors in rolling resistance. The difference is small, but given equal tires you may see slightly reduced economy on the 19" version. I suspect in anything but aggressive track use you'll notice no discernable difference between the 19"s with summer tires and the 21"s with summer tires.

T-sportline's wheels will be less susceptible to curb rash simply because of the larger sidewall height. The larger the sidewall, the less likely curb rash becomes. They won't be immune, if that's what you're looking for, though.

If I had the 21"s and was looking for a high performance summer, I'd be looking at Michelin's Pilot Super Sports over another set of the Continentals.

I believe treadwear is going to be more of a function of the tire compound than the size - check the UTQG ratings of the tires to give you a rough estimate of how they will wear (note the keywords there are "rough estimate).

In terms of performance, depends on how hard you drive and how attuned you are. In theory 19" wheels are faster of the line than 21" wheels because they have less rotational inertia--I the real world, I am not sure if the difference is material or noticeable. The 45-series tire on the 19" wheel will have more sidewall flex than the 35-series tire on the 21" wheel, which, in theory, will make a difference in cornering. Again, it will come down to how hard you drive it and how attuned you are to the car.

O

My 21" summer tires are worn out (again), and I am trying to assess the options:
- switch to 21" Michelin
- switch to 21" Hankook

Several owners in Norway have switched from 21" Contis to 21" Michelin PS2 and have reported two to three times the mileage per set compared to the Contis.

Attachments

• Tesla_IMG_7449-1920x1005.jpg
    Tesla_IMG_7449-1920x1005.jpg
    790.9 KB · Views: 583
  • image-X3 (1).jpg
    image-X3 (1).jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 596
  • image-X3.jpg
    image-X3.jpg
    888.5 KB · Views: 567
.. just stay with the 21" Continentals... is that the best answer?

a) stay with 21"
b) drop to 20"
c) drop to 19"

I am going with AndreyATC's answer: a definite "b".

Maybe someday, my favorite car, built by my favorite employees, run by my favorite CEO will stop offering heavy, damage prone, alignment sensitive, gorgeous 21's as an option and instead offer 20" turbines. Tesla could still sell 21" turbines as an accessory item to owners that don't mind the extra expense (i really wanted to say, "have money to burn") on a 21" wheel/tire combination.

The prone to damage is the real bell ringer against the 21's.

While some road craters will impact a 19, 20, and 21, a minor road impediment will damage the 21 tires, and likely the rims. Examples of environmental risks to the 21s: a metal road surface plate, pavement cut for resurfacing. Most car tires sail over these, the 21 is too short to absorb the abrupt impact.

Do 20s have sufficiently taller sidewalls that they remove the road impact risk of all but the most severe cases.

Has anyone damaged a wheel on a 20" on their MS, or bubbled a tire from a road obstacle that other cars (or 19's) are not impacted.

To toss my hat into the ring, I dropped to 19's and am far happier. I don't have performance tires, but I haven't rashed or bent a wheel yet, and my alignment seems to "stick".

Also curious of the experiences of the folks that went to 20"

- switch to 21" Michelin
- switch to 21" Hankook

There are several questions in my mind:
1. Cost? How much better is the tread wear with 19" performance tires over 21"?
2. Performance? Am I likely to notice much performance difference if I go with 19" performance tires?
3. Are the T-sportline wheels less susceptible to curb rash?

The simple answer seems to be.. just stay with the 21" Continentals... is that the best answer? Fortunately, all four of my tires need to be replaced, so I can more easily make a change this time.

David

Decision made and implemented. I have gone with my option #4 - 19" T-sportline wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires. My initial reaction is that they are quieter, somewhat smoother than the 21" Continentals, and my performance seems to be similar when launching from a stop for example.

If someone is interested in purchasing some 21" wheels (afflicted with curb rash), they have been posted for sale - I'm open to offers!

Thanks everyone for your input.

David

Decision made and implemented. I have gone with my option #4 - 19" T-sportline wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires. My initial reaction is that they are quieter, somewhat smoother than the 21" Continentals, and my performance seems to be similar when launching from a stop for example.

If someone is interested in purchasing some 21" wheels (afflicted with curb rash), they have been posted for sale - I'm open to offers!

Thanks everyone for your input.

David

Keep us updated with any longer term feedback, its always helpful to get perspective from someone that has used both wheel diameters !