Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Barstow<-->Tejon Ranch: Is there anything to SEE along that route?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
A NorthCountryIgnoramus question: a quick look at the map suggests that this stretch may have little of interest. Is there anything of geological, historical, cultural, scenic etc. interest along Rtes 58-14-138?

This is place is worth a stop. Visitor Center

Visitor CenterDiscover Hidden Treasure
Buried deep in the Mojave Desert is one of the biggest and richest deposits of borax on the planet. You will also find the Borax Visitor Center, one of the best kept secrets of the Southern California desert. Built in 1997, it had more than 126,845 visitors as of the end of 2010.

Heh!

I figgered if I shook that mesquite tree hard enough, I'd get a few gems to drop.

I was mesmerized as a lad by the 20-mule team image on that detergent box of the borax mining out in the Mojave.

On the one hand, it would be easy to say @zbb is overstating what there is to see, i.e. less than that. On the other hand, some of it is a little like a painted desert, and it kind of grows on you.

Hey -- I'm an Arizona Native. The Painted Desert is fascinating to look at. The Mojave much less so...

This is place is worth a stop. Visitor Center

Visitor CenterDiscover Hidden Treasure
Buried deep in the Mojave Desert is one of the biggest and richest deposits of borax on the planet. You will also find the Borax Visitor Center, one of the best kept secrets of the Southern California desert. Built in 1997, it had more than 126,845 visitors as of the end of 2010.

I almost mentioned the Borax mines. Didn't realize there was a visitors center (we were towards the end of a 3 week road trip and focused on getting home...) That actually might be kind of interesting...

Driven mostly along that route several times (from Big Bear to Tejon actually). There are lots of historical markers along the way. Lots of history relating to the creation of the railroads, Native American (Cowboys and Indians) battles, exploration of California during spanish times, etc...

Check out these apps. Love them for making drives like that a lot more interesting, especially if you are into history:
Historical Markers on the App Store on iTunes
Roadside America on the App Store on iTunes

If you aren't on an iphone, I apologize. Maybe there are equivalent Android versions.