Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not yet Halloween, but strange things are afoot with my MS85 (FW v5.11)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I did my usual unplugging of the car and getting in to head to work. 17" touchscreen was blank. Smaller screen behind the wheel was slow to start up, and when it did, it showed nothing on the left side (I have that set to music), the odometer indicated 0 miles, and there was a warning that the parking sensors had been disabled - contact your Tesla service center. Also the car had not charged (I have the timer on to start at midnight for the lowest electric rates).

Rebooted the touchscreen which started up and eventually cleared the parking sensor warning and the odometer showed the correct mileage. Left side of the smaller screen showed what was playing but would not display the album art. Rebooted that screen and the album art display worked. Car functioned normally for my commute.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Obviously something happened prior to midnight because my charge apparently never started.

I had a couple incidents with the 17" touch screen not wanting to start for a bit right before my 12v went bad. Correlation or causation, I have no idea, but basically anytime someone starts talking about demons in their various 12v powered accessories (which is basically everything, including the screens), checking the 12v battery is my go to answer.

I had a couple incidents with the 17" touch screen not wanting to start for a bit right before my 12v went bad. Correlation or causation, I have no idea, but basically anytime someone starts talking about demons in their various 12v powered accessories (which is basically everything, including the screens), checking the 12v battery is my go to answer.
Thanks, I will check that out.

Only thing that really bugs me is that the car failed to charge. I guess if the center screen barfs, the charging start timer gets lost?

This morning I did my usual unplugging of the car and getting in to head to work. 17" touchscreen was blank. Smaller screen behind the wheel was slow to start up, and when it did, it showed nothing on the left side (I have that set to music), the odometer indicated 0 miles, and there was a warning that the parking sensors had been disabled - contact your Tesla service center. Also the car had not charged (I have the timer on to start at midnight for the lowest electric rates).

Rebooted the touchscreen which started up and eventually cleared the parking sensor warning and the odometer showed the correct mileage. Left side of the smaller screen showed what was playing but would not display the album art. Rebooted that screen and the album art display worked. Car functioned normally for my commute.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Obviously something happened prior to midnight because my charge apparently never started.
Yea, happened once or twice, haven't been able to reproduce it.

same thing happened when i got 5.12, but multiple times at random locations. reboots worked for a while, then it basically wouldn't "shut down" one day even though everything was blanked out and i left the car. so the ranger had to come out and shut it down and install the latest 5.12 version to fix the original 5.12 bugs. since then, i've been mostly problem free, but i did have to reboot once because slacker got hung up and wouldn't do anything or let me switch to another channel.

Short answer: Yep, I've had stuff like that happen, but re-booting one or both screens has always cleared it up for me. I'm used to it now, but having to re-boot a car really threw me when it was new. My former Cadillac has a fairly sophisticated (by non-Tesla standards) Windows-based infotainment system and I never once had to re-boot it manually.