Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Process for Putting Aftermarket Wheels on a New Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car will be delivered in October (black P85). I will likely be putting on aftermarket wheels (perhaps the TSportline turbines), and I plan on selling my OEM 19s (non-Cyclone).

To me it makes sense to essentially swap out the wheels right when I get the car, so I can sell the OEM wheels as virtually new.

My question is: What is the best route to take--swap the tires & TPMS that came with the car onto the new wheels and sell just the OEM wheels themselves, or buy a new set of tires and TPMS sensors for the new wheels and sell the OEM tires/wheels/TPMS as a set?

If I get a new set of tires and TPMS sensors, can I just order them from (for instance) Tire Rack? Once a tire shop mounts/balances the wheels, can I program the TPMS myself or will I have to take the car back to the Tesla service center to have them reprogrammed?

Thanks for the insight. Too bad Tesla doesn't offer more wheel options...

You can totally reprogram them yourself, if you get new TPMS. As for whether to get a new set, that is entirely up to you. The color of the stem can be silver or black, so that may be a consideration. Getting a second set of TPMS makes sense if you want a spare set of rims with Winter tires.

I just put on new 22'' rims and tires on my car. I did buy the new tpms sensors from tire rack also. I tried resetting them from the car but that did not work so I had to take it to the service center. It took them a hole 5min and they did not charge me. I also did not make an appointment, for my service center is a supercharger and dealer location.

If I were you I would swop out the tmps's and the tires when you first get the car. Resin being is whoever buys the stock rims from you will more then likely already have the tpms's. Tires they may already have tires or they have to buy new ones.

Todd, you need to be aware that tesla SC will no longer rotate aftermarket wheels, so you will forfeit that benefit of service plan. Tire rack will mount and balance as part of wheel/tire pkg. if you already have a trustworthy tire shop that may be of little value. I had tire rack do everything including new tpms. At that time, self programming was not in firmware, but SC gladly did it.

PS, you should really think about 20s. I find them perfect.

Todd, you need to be aware that tesla SC will no longer rotate aftermarket wheels, so you will forfeit that benefit of service plan.

I am aware of that--and with my service center being a 3.5 hour drive away, I won't be taking it in often to rotate the tires...

I am considering--trying to see if I can find some I like.

My car will be delivered in October (black P85). I will likely be putting on aftermarket wheels (perhaps the TSportline turbines), and I plan on selling my OEM 19s (non-Cyclone).

To me it makes sense to essentially swap out the wheels right when I get the car, so I can sell the OEM wheels as virtually new.

My question is: What is the best route to take--swap the tires & TPMS that came with the car onto the new wheels and sell just the OEM wheels themselves, or buy a new set of tires and TPMS sensors for the new wheels and sell the OEM tires/wheels/TPMS as a set?

I had the TSportline's mounted at Mr Tire with aftermarket 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires that I bought from them. I drove the car right into the bay, put it in high suspension, put it in jack mode then had them raise and pull off the wheels and pull out the TPMS from the old wheels and put them in the new ones. I reused the lug nuts. I bought grey center caps from Tesla. I had them set the psi to 45 and torque at 129ft/lb.

the old wheels (19" standard) are sitting in boxes in my garage. dunno what I want to do with them.

Todd, you need to be aware that tesla SC will no longer rotate aftermarket wheels, so you will forfeit that benefit of service plan.

that's not true. they won't mount aftermarket tires/wheels, but once you have them mounted by a third party the Tesla SC will rotate them. I just had mine rotated by them. They also had to reprogram it (kept getting TPMS warnings) and also had to have them install an external antenna since the TPMS sensors were still going in and out. (this external antenna is standard on all production cars now but the early cars do not have them, if you have an early vin you can have Tesla put the antenna on as a warranty repair).

Hi, a question for yobigd20.
I am thinking of 255/45R19 Michelins for my TSportlines, how do you like them and do you have any clearance/rubbing issues?
A photo would be great if you have one as well.
Thanks,
Andrew

- - - Updated - - -

Hello yobigd20, I just saw you already answered this question for me under "T Sportline Pictures". I should have checked there first!
Andrew

that's not true. they won't mount aftermarket tires/wheels, but once you have them mounted by a third party the Tesla SC will rotate them. I just had mine rotated by them. They also had to reprogram it (kept getting TPMS warnings) and also had to have them install an external antenna since the TPMS sensors were still going in and out. (this external antenna is standard on all production cars now but the early cars do not have them, if you have an early vin you can have Tesla put the antenna on as a warranty repair).

I am not fabricating, nor do I care much for the implication that I am! The FACT is that the Chicago Service Center, as of about 1 year ago, will not install or rotate aftermarket wheels/tires. They were very apologetic, and said it is a CORPORATE mandate, out of concern for liability regarding non-oem components. In fact, they said that was not just a wheel thing, but any non-oem equipment. It is possible that some Service Centers - including yours - either, A) did not get the memo, or B) mis-understood, or C) intentionally interpreted more narrowly (won't install, but can rotate). I guess it is ALSO possible that Chicago got it wrong. I will re-check, but I doubt it. The explanation was quite clear and quite understandable. Tesla Motors does not want to be on the hook for aftermarket equipment they have not tested. Ticked me off when I had to pay someone else to rotate, but I understand.

It is correct that they WILL reprogram, and that is because there used to be no other way to do it!

I second that ... a lot of my driving is on the crappy city streets in Los Angeles, so I was reluctant to get the low-profile 21's, but the 19's look a little too small to me ... I think 20's are in the sweet spot of "not too big, not too small" ... I went with 255/40-20 in front, and 285/35-20 in rear, on Michelin Pilot Super Sports ... (245/40 would be better fit for the front, but unfortunately the PSS isn't made in that size)

wheel.JPG

I second that ... a lot of my driving is on the crappy city streets in Los Angeles, so I was reluctant to get the low-profile 21's, but the 19's look a little too small to me ... I think 20's are in the sweet spot of "not too big, not too small" ... I went with 255/40-20 in front, and 285/35-20 in rear, on Michelin Pilot Super Sports ... (245/40 would be better fit for the front, but unfortunately the PSS isn't made in that size)

View attachment 57172
perfect indeed

I am aware of that--and with my service center being a 3.5 hour drive away, I won't be taking it in often to rotate the tires...

Hey Guy, You don't live too far from my "shop". I have a rather large bucket of tools and I can try to swap out some wheels or rotate your tires as soon as I finish up this Nissan. Btw, I am really good at taking things apart.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 305
I had the TSportline's mounted at Mr Tire with aftermarket 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires that I bought from them. I drove the car right into the bay, put it in high suspension, put it in jack mode then had them raise and pull off the wheels and pull out the TPMS from the old wheels and put them in the new ones. I reused the lug nuts. I bought grey center caps from Tesla. I had them set the psi to 45 and torque at 129ft/lb.
Any pics with the new wheel/tire combo? Sounds great.