Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a used Tesla S. Need parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I bought a used Tesla S Performance which had an accident from US and shipped to Lithuania (Europe), where I currently live. Now I need a few parts to change like driver side window, sunroof and a few others. When I try to order those from nearby countries where there are Tesla Service Centers, they are insisting that I bring my car to them, which I can't do because all the centers are too far away to drive.
Now, if they let me buy those parts, my local auto technicians would have no problem installing those. In addition to that, I accept the fact that I wouldn't get any warranty, and I am fine with it. But they still wouldn't sell.
Any suggestions where and how to obtain the parts?

Hello,
I bought a used Tesla S Performance which had an accident from US and shipped to Lithuania (Europe), where I currently live. Now I need a few parts to change like driver side window, sunroof and a few others. When I try to order those from nearby countries where there are Tesla Service Centers, they are insisting that I bring my car to them, which I can't do because all the centers are too far away to drive.
Now, if they let me buy those parts, my local auto technicians would have no problem installing those. In addition to that, I accept the fact that I wouldn't get any warranty, and I am fine with it. But they still wouldn't sell.
Any suggestions where and how to obtain the parts?

I'd suggest that you contact Tesla directly if the service centers won't sell. Keep us updated.

Tesla are notoriously tight about supplying parts in situations like this; in global terms they are a young company still with a reputation to protect and build. Easy for me to say with hindsight, but anyone contemplating doing this should check availability of parts before buying the vehicle.

Check with Tesla is the best advice but you'll likely end up having to take your car to a service center after all. I'm a little surprised that you shipped the car from the U.S. to Lithuania yet you feel the Tesla service center is "too far".

Yup, the plug is different, Tesla is using a proprietary Type2 plug at the superchargers. But also the "home" chargers are different. In Europe we have 3 phase 400 Volts for charging. So the US will not be able to charge unless the charging and prorably some software has to been changed as well.

As Nigel mentioned, Tesla is not always keen on selling parts. Consider how quickly the media wants to find fault with anything Tesla - if they help get a salvaged car back on the road that is not road-worthy, and that car ends up causing a wreck, it is unlikely the media will go deeper than 'Tesla causes accident'.

A fellow forum member, Otmar Ebenhoech, ran into the same problem while creating his Stretchla. Stretchla Blog | Stretched Vanagon Westfalia shell on a Tesla platform His very thoughtful & adult response to being denied parts by Tesla deserves a read.

Hmm, without being 100% sure, this might be against EU anti trust laws (EUT L 129 from 28.5.2010 ) keeping independent repair shops out of the Tesla repair market. Tesla could argue that, the persons being disallowed from buying parts are non professionals not clearly educated in repairing cars.

They will have to make the technical manuals and parts available to independent repair shops in the EU. It's the law. If they are not present in your country as a company, though, it my be difficult to enforce that regulation... .

Independent repair shops are a different story than individuals working on a salvaged vehicle. (Does the EU law have any standard in place for an independent repair shop? Do mechanics need to be certified to work on a particular type of car?)

Let's not mix up an individual looking for parts for a salvaged car and a professional repair shop, or this thread will quickly be off the rails.

Bonnie: Exactly my point when i said that "Tesla could argue that, the persons being disallowed from buying parts are non professionals not clearly educated in repairing cars"

EU does not have requirements for certifications to work on a specific car, they are more requirements to the automaker to make information and parts
available to independent repair shops. This includes diagnostics tools special to the model. The information, tools and parts must not differ from what they have at authorized and certified repair shops.

HyperMiller: Just checked my invoice of my Model S, I have bought it from Tesla Motors Denmark APS with a danish VAT number. So they are present here in one way or another.

even if the EU manual was released its a North American car. It wouldn't be totally different but could be missing some info that is needed. I would say ebay, US salvage yards and North American owners would be where to go.

EU does not have requirements for certifications to work on a specific car, they are more requirements to the automaker to make information and parts available to independent repair shops. This includes diagnostics tools special to the model. The information, tools and parts must not differ from what they have at authorized and certified repair shops.

The laws vary, both country and local laws. In the cases I've seen, Tesla is exempt from those requirements because they own and operate their own service/repair installations, rather than permitting other businesses to operate them. Those laws typically guarantee that independent shops can have access to the same materials that they provide to their franchisees. Because Tesla doesn't use a franchise model, they're typically exempt from those laws. I have not seen one yet that required Tesla to offer its service information to non-Tesla shops.

The laws vary, both country and local laws. In the cases I've seen, Tesla is exempt from those requirements because they own and operate their own service/repair installations, rather than permitting other businesses to operate them. Those laws typically guarantee that independent shops can have access to the same materials that they provide to their franchisees. Because Tesla doesn't use a franchise model, they're typically exempt from those laws. I have not seen one yet that required Tesla to offer its service information to non-Tesla shops.

Thats incorrect - it doesnt matter if they have any franchises or not, here in EU they have to sell those parts and tools to independant repair shops. Braking/ignoring the law will only get you sued sooner or later (and manufacturer would lose).

Thats incorrect - it doesnt matter if they have any franchises or not, here in EU they have to sell those parts and tools to independant repair shops. Braking/ignoring the law will only get you sued sooner or later (and manufacturer would lose).

But is an individual considered an 'independent repair shop'? I'm going to guess not, since the individual would likely not carry insurance on their workmanship, etc. Please read the first post. This is not about an independent repair shop. Or are you saying it's one and the same?

Iirc, the law only covers products bought in the EU. As it was officially scrap when the OP imported it, EU law will not help much here.

Additionally, as it is an American-standard car, I guess has not been homologated or modified to meet EU standards.

Going to be hard to insure should it ever be deemed roadworthy again.

Do you have a link to the specific language of the law? I'm not saying you're incorrect, and I'd like to understand to the specific language. Many people heavily stressed that Massachusetts required Tesla to give away their secrets and parts, and it turns out they're wrong because Massachusetts used specific wording and definitions which did not apply to Tesla in a legal sense (even if the intent of the law might have been otherwise).

There are also ways around it - for example, because Tesla doesn't sell parts to itself, the typical protections that come with laws like this are difficult to apply. Most of these laws say that independent shops get to purchase parts at the same prices or nearly the same prices as a manufacturer's authorized dealer. But because Tesla doesn't sell parts to itself, there are no prices to compare to... it can set prices at whatever it wants and can pass the scrutiny of the law.

If I built a one-of-a-kind car with trade secrets, I'd be concerned if the law required me to hand over my trade secrets to anyone claiming he's an "independent repair shop". That's why I'm of the belief there are likely restrictions to the blanket that you're offering.

Do you have a link to the specific language of the law? I'm not saying you're incorrect, and I'd like to understand to the specific language. Many people heavily stressed that Massachusetts required Tesla to give away their secrets and parts, and it turns out they're wrong because Massachusetts used specific wording and definitions which did not apply to Tesla in a legal sense (even if the intent of the law might have been otherwise).

There are also ways around it - for example, because Tesla doesn't sell parts to itself, the typical protections that come with laws like this are difficult to apply. Most of these laws say that independent shops get to purchase parts at the same prices or nearly the same prices as a manufacturer's authorized dealer. But because Tesla doesn't sell parts to itself, there are no prices to compare to... it can set prices at whatever it wants and can pass the scrutiny of the law.

If I built a one-of-a-kind car with trade secrets, I'd be concerned if the law required me to hand over my trade secrets to anyone claiming he's an "independent repair shop". That's why I'm of the belief there are likely restrictions to the blanket that you're offering.

I didnt find text saying directly that they must do so (searching for understandable text of antitrust laws is bit hard :) ), but I found .pdf with relevant FAQ for EU antitrust laws

EU Block Exemption Regulations

Google for:
Frequently asked question (FAQs) on the application of EU antitrust rules in the motor vehicle sector

AFAIK, section about spare parts says that if independant repair shops dont have any other viable source of parts, manufacturer should provide them - refusal to do so can be interpreted as breach of EU antitrust laws.

----------------------------------

Either way, if Tesla refuse to sell those parts, repair shop or owner of the car would have to sue Tesla and wait for court decision.

I didnt find text saying directly that they must do so (searching for understandable text of antitrust laws is bit hard :) ), but I found .pdf with relevant FAQ for EU antitrust laws

EU Block Exemption Regulations

Google for:
Frequently asked question (FAQs) on the application of EU antitrust rules in the motor vehicle sector

AFAIK, section about spare parts says that if independant repair shops dont have any other viable source of parts, manufacturer should provide them - refusal to do so can be interpreted as breach of EU antitrust laws.

----------------------------------

Either way, if Tesla refuse to sell those parts, repair shop or owner of the car would have to sue Tesla and wait for court decision.

The interesting part will come down to the definitions behind the words in the law. So without the actual link to the law, it doesn't do much good. One thing I've learned in my job (part of which is interpretation of medical device law), is that companies quickly get derailed by misinterpretation of one small phrase early on.

So, for instance, let's say the law does require an independent shop must be supplied with parts, to be in compliance with the law. It would look like Tesla was out of compliance. But it's also possible (example only) that the law also requires (in a completely different section that you would not look at during this search) that the independent repair shop have adequately trained mechanics -- Tesla would be covered. Since they would not have mechanics adequately trained in dealing with Tesla vehicles. (Just an example of how easily someone could get it wrong.)
----------
Bottom line - we're not the experts on this, so we should be careful before rushing to judgment on whether Tesla or others are in or out of compliance. Even with a copy of the law in front of us, we very possibly could get it wrong.