Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great article from a guy who chose a Jaguar over a Tesla on why Tesla is better :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is why many of us feel the car and company are special and because of that we feel we have a special relationship with Tesla as compared to a typical car manufacturer. This article in many ways tells us what we love about how Tesla does business.

Great article from a guy who chose a Jaguar over a Tesla on why Tesla is bett...

The writer seems to have a bad case of buyer's regret over his F-Type purchase. Poor guy, I really feel for him ;-) He made a poor purchase decision.
Quote: "The electric charging infrastructure is pathetic compared to gas, the fully loaded car exceeds $100,000 and it represents a massive risk to anyone who buys it. Rather than go under, though, Tesla has grown faster than the rest of the market, its customer loyalty is far higher, and its car has been rated the best in the world ahead of cars and firms that have been in the car business for more than a century."

When I placed my order last September I did not think I was taking a "massive risk". But maybe I wasn't being objective enough and was simply overwhelmed by the sheer awesomeness of what Tesla was producing. Which apparently that writer missed somehow.

Agree, no "massive risk" at all...when reading words like these, it is safe to assume the statement in question is written by a non-EV driver, hence a dubious / ignorant statement ...

The writer seems to have a bad case of buyer's regret over his F-Type purchase. Poor guy, I really feel for him ;-) He made a poor purchase decision.
Quote: "The electric charging infrastructure is pathetic compared to gas, the fully loaded car exceeds $100,000 and it represents a massive risk to anyone who buys it. Rather than go under, though, Tesla has grown faster than the rest of the market, its customer loyalty is far higher, and its car has been rated the best in the world ahead of cars and firms that have been in the car business for more than a century."

When I placed my order last September I did not think I was taking a "massive risk". But maybe I wasn't being objective enough and was simply overwhelmed by the sheer awesomeness of what Tesla was producing. Which apparently that writer missed somehow.

So many wrongs and still he reaches a correct conclusion. Tesla's main advantage IS the technology (he sees it as a big obstacle). Customer service including telemerics and customer interaction contributes too, but really, honestly, how hard is it to beat other auto makers and their dealers at this???

I don't buy his premise:

This suggests that a traditional car company such as Jaguar that adopted and integrated key Tesla practices could become the most successful car company in the world

Good analytics does not create a fantastic vehicle nor establish great customer service. A company who cares about such things will seek out the necessary data ... as Tesla has done

I liked the article, thanks for posting it, and I didn't really disagree with him. The infrastructure for ICEs vs an EV is not exaggerated I don't think (and it is changing and we don't need as many SuperChargers as we need gas stations for a long time if ever) and the lack of a local station for "fuel" is not a problem IF there are SuperChargers out there near where you need them. I have only test driven EVs (Leaf, Tesla) and I have range anxiety. I will have to drive out of my way to get "fuel" when I travel (but never near home). I have to learn to drive long distance differently because of the differences with gas stations vs SuperChargers. There are problems and risks with buying a Tesla. And I am one of those enthusiastic folks who is getting a Tesla (can't wait!). I loved it that I got four more years on my motor this last week--made me like the company more, made me feel like I have less risk that the motor is warrantied for eight years instead of four--that feels like great customer service.

I liked the article, thanks for posting it, and I didn't really disagree with him. The infrastructure for ICEs vs an EV is not exaggerated I don't think (and it is changing and we don't need as many SuperChargers as we need gas stations for a long time if ever) and the lack of a local station for "fuel" is not a problem IF there are SuperChargers out there near where you need them. I have only test driven EVs (Leaf, Tesla) and I have range anxiety. I will have to drive out of my way to get "fuel" when I travel (but never near home).

I think most folks felt like that before purchasing, but after driving it for a while, you come to realize that there is actually have more range anxiety when driving an ICE car. Even when there aren't Superchargers, there are always RV parks, and often hotels or B&Bs have overnight charging. You normally never have to go out of your way to charge.

I think most folks felt like that before purchasing, but after driving it for a while, you come to realize that there is actually have more range anxiety when driving an ICE car. Even when there aren't Superchargers, there are always RV parks, and often hotels or B&Bs have overnight charging. You normally never have to go out of your way to charge.
After coming back from a Costco run the other day, this conversation ensued with my wife:

GB88Wife: "Dang it, you should have taken the Lexus. It is low on gas."

Me: "Then I wouldn't be home for another hour, because the line was 8 cars deep at each pump."

GB88Wife: "Yeah, but the car really needs gas."

Me: "Got a little range anxiety, eh?" :biggrin:

I was disappointed because he doesn't actually give a single concrete example of his claim that it's all about the data analytics.

Yes, after reading the article, it felt like eating a beautiful looking meal that had no flavor. He just repeats the same thing - Tesla uses analytics.

I think any number of us Tesla owners could supply him with examples. Mine is from a post I made on this forum about having problems with slacker skipping and giving up halfway through a song. First time it was in the service center they checked a couple of things. It doesn't really matter that they didn't fix the problem (the only fix is to boot slacker for pandora or something respectable). That they noted it (and associated my TMC name with my real name) and then checked for problems indicates being smart about the internet and actually caring about customer complaints.

And by the way, I've met Enderle several times. He doesn't so much interview people as he works to get confirmation of his own ideas. This is why he is wrong so often.

I was disappointed because he doesn't actually give a single concrete example of his claim that it's all about the data analytics.

I don't know, somehow - even though I have the same feeling of this being a fluff article - I think we're making a mistake to think of his article as being about Jaguars or Teslas at all. Look at the context: it's an IT fluff piece in an IT emag (which I profess to be ignorant of). My guess is he's pitching "data analytics" (no idea of who would pay for that, btw) and could have substituted any flashy chrome for the auto brands.

"where's the meat?" indeed.

I don't know, somehow - even though I have the same feeling of this being a fluff article - I think we're making a mistake to think of his article as being about Jaguars or Teslas at all. Look at the context: it's an IT fluff piece in an IT emag (which I profess to be ignorant of). My guess is he's pitching "data analytics" (no idea of who would pay for that, btw) and could have substituted any flashy chrome for the auto brands.

"where's the meat?" indeed.

That's actually what I thought too. That he was pitching analytics, and yet I felt his conclusions were correct. Even though he didn't have any supporting evidence.