Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla should allow and encourage third parties and customers...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... to service and modify their cars. Of course it should start with apps, but it should go beyond that.

I understand that there are risks with encouraging third parties or home mechanics to mess with a high voltage system, and that there are some things that they may want to keep as black boxes. At the dawn of the ICE age, there were probably a lot of burns from hot exhaust and spilled gas and oil, and a lot of broken arms flailing from hand cranks.
Tesla may not be ready for this with the S and the X, but they should be thinking about it more and more as they move downmarket. Tesla should reduce over time the things that they want to be black boxes. If they try to keep the entire car a black box, then they just encourage people to hack everything.
I don't see why this concept would be a problem, they don't have dealer service profits to protect.

The benefit you get is a rich ecosystem of people trying to improve the product and enjoy their car.
Weekend racers turning the car into their hobby are a huge resource that is not being tapped.

Here is a list of things that customers may want to add on their own:
- different brakes, suspension setups
- different gearing, or an actual transmission
- better drivetrain cooling
- racing versions
- lightweight racing battery
- drivetrain heat management software
- electrical connections to a towed camper
- v2g
- putting a tesla drivetrain into another vehicle entirely
- When servicing an old Tesla, many customers may prefer a 3rd party shop that can repair electronics at the component level instead of having to have it replaced. This might not be an issue now, but it likely will when many more cars are out of warranty.

I'm sure others can think of even more things.
This will all be easier if Tesla has shop manuals, parts catalogs, test equipment that is available to the hobbyist or 3rd party.

and... fight!...

From what the conversation seems to be, I think that Saleen must have made some kind of arrangement with Tesla. They have commented about how they have modified one of the car's computers to change how the car does some driving functions to go hand in hand with their upgrades to the car.

I fully support 3rd party mods... and as with anything it will void the warranty, but I am ok with that... let people do what they want with their car.

No they shouldn't encourage or facilitate third party modifications. When something goes wrong with a "modified" Tesla, what people will see and hear is that Tesla cars have a problem. Not the company who modified it, which may not even be around after that. Tesla needs to control its brand image.

No they shouldn't encourage or facilitate third party modifications. When something goes wrong with a "modified" Tesla, what people will see and hear is that Tesla cars have a problem. Not the company who modified it, which may not even be around after that. Tesla needs to control its brand image.

Modified civics don't destroy the image that you can run one of those until the wheels fall off... But yet a modified civic si is very unreliable. And look what the Shelby and Cobra did for mustang.

EVs are different. They have a target on their back.

True, but the fact that people want mod and there are people successfully modding shows how much people care about not just owning an EV but really taking the time and money to make it their own. It is one thing to spend 100k on an EV, but to turn around and spend more money going that one step further... Don't discount that passion and what it can do to the EV community.

At this point there is no way electric and Tesla are going anywhere any time soon. They lost their chance to kill the market when they let the cat out of the bag on the EV1 and now that a company has stepped up and is producing a fantastic product that people not just want to own, but to make it a core part of their life should not be discounted...

If you think EV owners are a passionate bunch and I know modders are a passionate bunch... Combining those two areas? Look out!

At this point something crazy would have to happen to turn us all back toward ICE...

Exactly.

I've commented elsewhere that people at least waited until the 50s and 60s to start hot-rodding 30s Fords en masse. It would be nice if the same consideration were given to Tesla Motors vehicles. No, moonshiners don't count.

Modified civics don't destroy the image that you can run one of those until the wheels fall off... But yet a modified civic si is very unreliable. And look what the Shelby and Cobra did for mustang.
The Honda CVCC appeared in the early 1970s... Magazines like 'Import Tuner' didn't make Mügen aftermarket parts popular for Honda products until the early 1990s -- and those were 'official' at least in Japan, if not in the US. Ford Motor Company was sixty years old before Carroll Shelby was HIRED BY FORD to modify their products.

Just because after 10 years, Tesla Motors has caught up to and surpassed many ICE vehicle manufacturers that had a 120 year head start, doesn't change the fact that the technology behind their cars is still approaching the 'toddler' stage, after being in its 'infancy' for... 120 years. By the time Tesla Generation III arrives with the Model ≡, electric vehicles may finally be able to 'walk' for the first time. It is absolutely premature for aftermarket tuners to try and make them 'run with the big boys' before the proper level of maturity and acceptance of EVs has been reached.

chickensevil said:
True, but the fact that people want mod and there are people successfully modding shows how much people care about not just owning an EV but really taking the time and money to make it their own. ... If you think EV owners are a passionate bunch and I know modders are a passionate bunch... Combining those two areas? Look out!
I would suggest that passion be turned in a different direction. Rather than modifying the Tesla Model S, howzabout designing and building your own car, from the ground up? That is what Elon Musk wants to foster, the adoption of electric vehicles by the masses. Saleen has their own car already in the S7 Twin Turbo. If they can do that, then they can build their own electric supercar to compete against the likes of the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Electric. Better yet, modify a gas guzzling Mercedes-Benz S-Class or BMW 7-Series V12 to be a fully electric vehicle with a 220 kWh battery pack. That would be much more useful.

"Our Mission: To accelerate the world's transition to electric vehicles." -- Tesla Motors