Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger mirror failed to unfold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I (electrically) fold my mirrors before entering my garage. Yesterday morning, I unfolded them as I usually do upon exiting the garage. It wasn't until I got on the freeway & went to change lanes that I noticed the passenger side mirror was still folded in. I hit the button to fold and then unfold & this time both mirrors unfolded. I tried the sequence several times after that with no issues.

Has anyone else seen this? I doubt the passenger mirror was obstructed from opening by an object as I was already out on my driveway before unfolding.

I meant to call the SC & ask them to pull the logs yesterday but I guess I'll do that this morning.

I (electrically) fold my mirrors before entering my garage. Yesterday morning, I unfolded them as I usually do upon exiting the garage. It wasn't until I got on the freeway & went to change lanes that I noticed the passenger side mirror was still folded in. I hit the button to fold and then unfold & this time both mirrors unfolded. I tried the sequence several times after that with no issues.

Has anyone else seen this? I doubt the passenger mirror was obstructed from opening by an object as I was already out on my driveway before unfolding.

I meant to call the SC & ask them to pull the logs yesterday but I guess I'll do that this morning.
i do the same thing and I, too, have had this happen a couple times in 20k miles. I am not too concerned at this point.

i do the same thing and I, too, have had this happen a couple times in 20k miles. I am not too concerned at this point.

Me too, generally when backing out of the garage. It's ony happened maybe 3 times for me, and once I figured out I could use the fold/unfold button, I've stopped worrying about it. I'll probably ask about it when I bring it in for annual service, but that's about it.

Happened to me a few times, and rather quickly it became permanent. In my case both the mirrors, the windows and the door handles (both inside and outside) on the passenger side were not operational.

The Service Center replaced the passenger-side controller. No problem since then.

Weirdly, after reading this yesterday afternoon, I noticed this happened to me yesterday evening on my commute home for the first time. (I guess I'd better not read any posts about more serious issues!) I am not worried about it at this point. Like others, I chalk it up to minor glitches that happen from time to time. I'll just add it to my "punch list" of minor issues for my first annual service next year.

I've had this happen 3 times to date. In all times pressing the button to fold/unfold corrected the issue. Hopefully this is just a software issue but if it continues I'll have the SC look at it.

In 9 months of ownership I have had the same experience three times with the driver side mirror. Haven't bothered to contact Tesla about it as have not had the issue for a few months. It's a very minor thing.

My MS was built just before motorized mirrors were added, but we also have a Mercedes with motorized mirrors - and I think the MS uses the same drive motors as Mercs. This has happened maybe half a dozen times over 4 years, pretty much coinciding with rainy, crappy weather conditions. Lots of grime on the roads thrown up by other traffic. I found that getting out the garden hose and flushing the area where the mirror joins the body seemed to make it go away until the next onslaught of grime.

My guess is that if the motor encounters a certain amount of resistive force, it is programmed to stop. (For example, if someone is holding back the mirror when you try to open it). This threshold might have been exceeded if there was grime, mud, dirt, gum, maple syrup, or anything else in the joint that would cause it to exceed this threshold.

Too bad it can't be programmed in this case to reattempt automatically, and if there's failure again to prevent both mirrors from extending and display a message on the console asking you to extend them manually.

I called the SC about it. They just logged it in my service record or whatever journal they keep on each car. They didn't think the logs would show anything (not surprised there, but it was worth asking). They have seen this occasionally & are chalking it up to SW for now. It hasn't happened to me since. No big deal for now as long as the gear comes down after a re-cycle.