Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will MX be cross shopped against?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While in a class of its own, what other vehicles will the Model X be cross shopped against? What else are YOU considering buying?

Performance Model X vs Performance Plus Model X.

No other AWD EV with cargo capacity I am aware of. For me, the car market is literally down to 2 cars today, and if I'm going to drive a big car, then I'm going BIG (S vs. X).

There's plenty of competition directed at the Model X, all in the form of PHEVs:
Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Audi Q7 e-tron
Volvo XC90 T8

Whether or not these get cross-shopped is another question. I have a feeling that aside from brand loyalists (who probably don't care about electrification anyway) none of these will hold up against the Model X. I personally have no need for a full-sized crossover and would much prefer something compact or mid-sized, but unfortunately the market seems to be electrifying from the top down. With no better options on the horizon, I don't mind going a bit oversized to get the vehicle I want.

The only other vehicle I am currently considering is the BMW i3. I have concerns over winter driving handling and range limitations, so I am waiting to see how reports go from owners this winter. If a PHEV crossover pops up in the next year that's closer to my ideal size at a significant discount over the Model X, I'd consider that too. For now though, it's Model X or bust.

I think it will be cross-shopped against more than just xEVs, much the same way the MS is cross shopped against ICEs. If the MX is going to hit its volume numbers, it needs to be successful in the segment as a whole, not just in the xEV sub-segment.

I believe Elon's goal has always to build compelling vehicles, to just compelling EVs.

If I weren’t getting an X I would probably get a Mazda CX-5 because the CR-V has become ugly, because I need a bit of bulky room, because I want to sit up a bit, and because I could not be compelled to care care enough about an ICE or a hybrid to spend any more than I absolutely had to so the Porsche, Audi, and Volvo offerings are not even in the running.

There's plenty of competition directed at the Model X, all in the form of PHEVs:
Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Audi Q7 e-tron
Volvo XC90 T8

I have an X reservation and I'll definitely be checking out the XC90 T8 and the Q7 e-tron (I didn't realize the Q7 was in the cards until now). Whether or not I can put up with their limitations when driven on electricity is another matter. :)

While in a class of its own, what other vehicles will the Model X be cross shopped against? What else are YOU considering buying?

If the only thing one wants is an all-electric SUV (like my wife does), then what else is there? We already have a "baby Tesla" Toyota Rav4 EV, and that doesn't hold a candle to the Model X (and won't be available much longer). So my wife will be cross shopping the Model X 60kWh against the Model X 85kWh (or whatever configurations Tesla actually releases).

For me, though, I like the EREV (extended range electric vehicle) model that uses a back-up gas engine for when the battery is depleted, so I could see myself cross shopping the Mitsubishi Outlander (if it ever actually arrives in the U.S.), the Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid, Audi Q7 e-tron, Volvo XC90 T8, and perhaps some "regular" hybrids like the Lexus RX450h. I was, at one point, going to strongly consider the Nissan Renaissance (now branded as the 2015 Murano), but was shocked to discover it wasn't going to be EV or hybrid...even though it looks like it should.

Y'know - after looking at that list above, I'm probably not cross shopping at all. Unless Cadillac surprises everyone with an SRX EREV similar to the ELR, or Lexus translates the Toyota Rav4 EV into the luxury fold, the Model X is really all I'd be considering.

Someone needs to build a real PHEV SUV... What I mean is something with a powerful electric motor not a wimpy 80hp as in the xc90 or 100hp as in the Cayenne. At least double it so it won't suck to drive in EV mode.

Something like the Volt or i3's powertrain (with more power of course) would be interesting to me. If I were to design something myself I'd put a ~400hp electric motor in there and enough batteries for ~100km or range. Then I'd put a big enough engine in there to keep things charged up. Finally I'd optimize the heck out of everything so it could get decent fuel economy on long trips. Maybe the BMW X7 with a PHEV powertrain will be a decent Model X competitor but that is ~3 years away...

If the only thing one wants is an all-electric SUV (like my wife does), then what else is there? We already have a "baby Tesla" Toyota Rav4 EV, and that doesn't hold a candle to the Model X (and won't be available much longer). So my wife will be cross shopping the Model X 60kWh against the Model X 85kWh (or whatever configurations Tesla actually releases).

For me, though, I like the EREV (extended range electric vehicle) model that uses a back-up gas engine for when the battery is depleted, so I could see myself cross shopping the Mitsubishi Outlander (if it ever actually arrives in the U.S.), the Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid, Audi Q7 e-tron, Volvo XC90 T8, and perhaps some "regular" hybrids like the Lexus RX450h. I was, at one point, going to strongly consider the Nissan Renaissance (now branded as the 2015 Murano), but was shocked to discover it wasn't going to be EV or hybrid...even though it looks like it should.

Y'know - after looking at that list above, I'm probably not cross shopping at all. Unless Cadillac surprises everyone with an SRX EREV similar to the ELR, or Lexus translates the Toyota Rav4 EV into the luxury fold, the Model X is really all I'd be considering.

I reserved a Model X for my wife several months ago. We are also considering the x5 PHEV and the Range Rover Sport. For us it really depends on whether or not they build a supercharger in the Sheboygan area before we are asked to confirm our order.

We recently sold our 2013 ML63 AMG with 8k miles on it which will be replaced by Model X next year. The truck wasn't driven enough to warrant plummeting depreciation and the cost of ongoing insurance. If there were no Model X, we would have kept the ML.

a few months ago I was looking at this question from the point of view of what else is out there among SUVs that has great acceleration, and how do they compare in price. I found this link pretty interesting. So far we know Tesla has said 0-60 under 5 seconds (have to figure that's for an 85 kWh and larger, not a 60). At a minimum, figuring savings in gas, Tesla's a good value against the competition in the link below, while depending on the things we don't know about the X, it may be approaching the point of "unfair competition" one of the Wall Street analysts said Tesla is on a path to generally.

Top 10 Fastest SUVs AutoGuide.com News

Until Model X makes it onto that list (link in SteveG3's post above), right behind the Cayenne turbo S, apparently :rolleyes: they have the good sense to include it in this one: Top 10 Cars We AutoGuide.com News

answer to OP - none nothing no. Does it burn gasoline? Then I don't want it. Does it compete with Tesla? Please.
After I get the X, I just need to make my old truck last long enough to get me to a Tesla pickup (which I need for work). It is very unlikely I will ever buy another new ICE powered car. Only one company, so far, has made that a possibility for me.

Last edited:
Until Model X makes it onto that list, right behind the Cayenne turbo S, apparently :rolleyes: they have the good sense to have it on this one: Top 10 Cars We AutoGuide.com News

answer to OP - none nothing no. Does it burn gasoline? Then I don't want it. Does it compete with Tesla? Please.
After the X, I just need to make my old truck last long enough to get me to a Tesla pickup. It is very unlikely I will ever buy another new ICE powered car. Only one company, so far, has made that a possibility for me.
I plan on selling my Mercedes SUV and my f-150 ford and I will get a small trailer to tow behind the X and then have only Electric vehicles, no gas. Just purchased the EGO lawnmower and will get the blower, then the only other gas powered equipment I will have is a chain saw and log splitter. Which are only used on occasion.

Excursion, expedition, suburban, Tahoe, Denali, Durango, Tundra, etc, etc, etc, shoppers will consider the Model X instead. Even a small percentage buying the X will lead to even stronger sales by word of mouth. I think the X will be even more epic than the S.

GSP

I'm only considering the Model X. Ever since I've seen the roadster years ago I said I would buy an all electric SUV. From the X reveal to now nothing else seems to have caught my attention. Well maybe except the Model S will do while I wait! :)