Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super Troll Jim5437532 and his campaign against Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
I just recently had a lengthy back and forth with commenter Jim5437532 on the following article's comment section:

Tesla Warranty With No Mileage Limit Will Crimp Earnings - Bloomberg

In this discussion, and on other articles, he posted a number references to NHTSA complaints. I am not one to believe in conspiracies however I looked at the NHTSA website to follow up on various points and discovered that most of the complaints there sound just like this commenter. I am fairly certain this crazy person actually wrote quite a few of those complaints.

Here is the link to those complaints.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action?searchType=PROD&prodType=V&targetCategory=A&activeTab=2&searchCriteria.model_yr=2013&searchCriteria.make=TESLA&searchCriteria.model=MODEL S&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1839811

I am reasonably certain this person is mentally ill and has focused on Tesla for whatever reason. He maybe suffers from OCD and Tesla is the object of his compulsion...

What do you think?

Same user made a mess here:
Page 2 - Teslas domination of the battery-powered world | ExtremeTech

and here:
Tesla Now
Jim5437532 has been banned from other sites for all his false statements.Direct from Green Car Reports:
"johnvoelcker Mod johnvoelcker • 11 days ago
Jim5437532 You have been banned from commenting on Green Car Reports for repeatedly posting false and unsourced information, insulting other commenters, and ignoring moderator warnings.
Your name has also been added to the system-wide Blacklist.”

Looks like he/she/it posted a bunch of TMC links here:
Design News - The Tesla Fires Are Fixable

Maybe he's Kent Beuchert's latest incarnation...

Possibly. It's been a long while since I've seen Kent and I don't remember his writing style to connect the dots.

There used to be a troll on Autobloggreen that would get kicked off regularly for saying inappropriate things. I called him out through 8 different aliases because his style of commenting didn't change.

The way that points are made is a clear indication that this person has a grudge for whatever reason. He/she is at war with Tesla. You don't go to an official government website and post hearsay unless you are out to damage that companies reputation.

If someone is trying to damage a publicly traded company with lies and using a government institution is there anyone who handles that or would it be on Tesla?

Tesla does have a cutting edge IT team. I'm sure one of them could follow the internet trail to find out who this person is.

Edit: I just read through a bunch of the Ken Buechert posts to see if it is him. Maybe. They are both articulate. They have different phrasing but the pacing is somewhat similar. They are both relentless in their war with Tesla. I didn't find matching dialog which is the biggest tell. So maybe.

If they are the same person then I can honestly say this person is crazy. Seriously wacko. JMHO.

2nd edit: This article just came out on ABG and Jim was a commenter:
This anti-Tesla conspiracy theory isnt nearly as creative as it could be

Last edited:
Why does the nhtsa site let you make complaints without providing a VIN? And are those complaints verified at all?

I would guess that complaints that come in from the internet are one small aspect of what it takes to do an investigation. Certainly the media making a fuss is another way because that is what happened with the battery fires. For the internet, the NHTSA is going to look for trends and similarities of problems to do an investigation.

To me it looks like a very positive article about the GF.

Jim5437532 writes inflammatory comments about Tesla and sends complaints to the NHTSA based on data he has picked up here and at the Tesla forum. Read the comments of the article.

The article is very positive which is why Jim(?) felt the need to try and derail it. The person he is attacking is Weapon(Zero). Weapon comments on almost every Tesla news article and corrects a vast amount of misinformation about Tesla out there.

Reactions: Jaff
He's back!

He's changed his handle to "I told you so" and he's posting the same nonsense. Here is a bunch of comments on GCR:

Tesla Model S Owner Loyalty Probably Unparalleled In Industry

Happily, GCR will remove someone's posts when they are disruptive. So "I told you so" posts have been removed from that article. He will probably pop up on other articles however so keep an eye for him.

Last edited:
It looks like this guy may have been Keith Leech, aka Keef Wivaneff, aka I told you so, aka a bunch of other handles.

In my first post I pointed out that this guy was making fake NHTSA reports.

The story behind the ‘false’ Tesla suspension complaints to NHTSA

We now know quite a bit about this guy. He seems to imagine himself as a "champion" against green scams since he managed to catch the guy in the video. The video says that he is a retired engineer. That is probably questionable since he doesn't use much actual reasoning to come to his odd conclusions.

His one man campaign has apparently gone on for three years.

Last edited:
Reactions: mobe and JRP3