Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many folks got a second mobile connector bundle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering how many folks bought a second mobile connector bundle just to have a permanent setup in the garage (NEMA 14-50 of course not HPWC)?

I did not order a HPWC but I was thinking that a second dedicated connector in the garage might still make sense.

I was wondering how many folks bought a second mobile connector bundle just to have a permanent setup in the garage (NEMA 14-50 of course not HPWC)?

I did not order a HPWC but I was thinking that a second dedicated connector in the garage might still make sense.

I ordered an HPWC, so did not order a second connector. Otherwise, I likely would have, just to keep from having to dig it out of the trunk for charging at the house. :)

Last edited:
I have two. I keep one connected in the garage and one in the car. When I travel, I take both with me, as insurance in case the UMC breaks while away. I was at the SC once when an owner called that he was stranded out of town because his UMC broke. Tesla overnighted a UMC to him, but I decided I didn't want to end up in such a situation.

I got the HPWC because back when I bought it in March, it qualified for a $500 government rebate in BC, which brought it down to about the price of the UMC. I was fortunate to be one of the last to qualify for that rebate before the program was eliminated. Same with the $5K rebate on the car.

I got the HPWC because back when I bought it in March, it qualified for a $500 government rebate in BC, which brought it down to about the price of the UMC. I was fortunate to be one of the last to qualify for that rebate before the program was eliminated. Same with the $5K rebate on the car.

There was some kind of charging infrastructure tax credit in the U.S., too, that I was able to take advantage of.

Clearly, anyone with a HPWC doesn't need a spare UMC. I bought a spare. I leave one permanently attached in my garage, and the other "permanently" in the car. I never want to pull it out of the car every time I charge at home. If I was to leave it out, I would have to remember to put it in if I leave town. A 2nd UMC (or a HPWC) makes everything very simple.

I got two, but in hindsight, I should have bought an HPWC. Even for only charging at 40A, it is built much better than the UMC since the UMC has more points of failure with their adapters.

+1. Having a hard wired, lightly stressed, connection is a good thing for charging every night at home. The HPWC running at 40 Amps is well worth the extra cost over a second UMC in my opinion.

GSP

i thought about getting a second UMC, but never actually did. Once a get a spare $1500, I'll put in an HPWC--the wiring is all set for it although it will only have a 50 amp breaker.

Me, for the limited number of times I take a long enough trip to worry about needing a 2nd UMC, I just have 1 (and no HPWC). I do however have 2 of the NEMA 14-50 adapters so that I can leave 1 adapter plugged into my NEMA 14-50R @ home, thus reducing the number of insertion/removal cycles on a receptacle not really designed for this. Yes, more wear on the UMC connection, but easier for me to get this swapped out by TM than to have my electrician come and swap out my receptacle.

Just one UMC that stays connected in the garage unless I take a non-public charger road trip. I've taken about 18 trips in the last 16 months that required enroute and/or destination charging. I took the UMC on 2 of them. If I'm doing a road trip I have to unplug the car ... it's tough for me to forget the UMC when it's the last thing I touch before leaving the garage for a long drive.

I have an HPWC and 2 UMCs. I bought the second UMC before a cross-country road trip where I was charging at an RV park that if I was unable to charge I would have been completely screwed. Even waiting for Tesla to ship a replacement wasn't an option. Now that the trip is over I'm considering selling it. I used it once to test it, otherwise it's unused.

I just bought a second UMC, should arrive thursday. I charge at home 99% of the time but there have been times when I was cutting it very tight and needed to charge while out but didn't have my cable. Packing it up every day would stink (and stress connectors). I managed to borrow cables in the past but thats pushing it. Its not cheap but i'll feel better having a UMC in the car at all times. For those wondering you can only get this online from the Tesla accessories store:
Shop Tesla Gear Mobile Connector Bundle

The stores and delivery centers (at least in New England) don't stock them. I didn't get the HPWC and have no regrets. It would have cost more and provided no benefit to me:
Charging the Model S with the HPWC | Tesla Living

Just a single UMC for me... It stays in the garage unless I'm going out of town, which has been 5 times now in just shy of 15 months. The only other times it has been unplugged are when the car goes into Tesla and for the 14-50 adapter recall swap...