Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging rates dropped after software upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only ordered my Model S with a single charger, but I've always been able to charge at 22kW (32A three phase - about 65mi/hr).

I assume this means I actually have dual chargers. I heard a rumour that some early RHD cars received the upgrade for free so I never really thought about it.

After installing the software update last week, my maximum charge rate has 'silently' dropped to 11kW (16A three phase - about 32mi/hr). There was no notice of this, so it was quite a shock when my travel time on a recent trip was significantly extended by spending twice as long charging!

After / after (different charger to check) / before app screenshots attached.

I don't mind not having access to something I didn't pay for... But to take it away without telling you seems quite non-Tesla like??

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 620
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 569
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 543
I only ordered my Model S with a single charger, but I've always been able to charge at 22kW (32A three phase - about 65mi/hr).

I assume this means I actually have dual chargers. I heard a rumour that some early RHD cars received the upgrade for free so I never really thought about it.

After installing the software update last week, my maximum charge rate has 'silently' dropped to 11kW (16A three phase - about 32mi/hr). There was no notice of this, so it was quite a shock when my travel time on a recent trip was significantly extended by spending twice as long charging!

After / after (different charger to check) / before app screenshots attached.

I don't mind not having access to something I didn't pay for... But to take it away without telling you seems quite non-Tesla like??

Any thoughts?

That is quite shocking! Have you communicated with Tesla about this and asked them what is going on? If they do charge you to turn dual chargers back on, hopefully it will be at the option price on a new car and not at the upgrade price.

That is quite shocking! Have you communicated with Tesla about this and asked them what is going on? If they do charge you to turn dual chargers back on, hopefully it will be at the option price on a new car and not at the upgrade price.

I too didn't pay for dual charges. But according to the diagnostics in the "Visual Tesla App", do indeed have it installed.

I'm still able to charge at 32A (30A actually) single phase, but my scheduled charge keeps dropping down to 16A. I only noticed this Sunday after a 170 mile trip on Saturday, I'm not doing the daily miles to have noticed otherwise, so not sure if the behaviour changed with the last software update. I haven't tried a 3 phase supply yet, so not sure how that will behave.

Hopefully charging single phase at 32A continues, and they don't put an artificial cap on mine too :(

I'm getting close to a big argument with Tesla anyway over a very shoddy delivery process. It still isn't resolved more than a month later. I'm tempted to suggest the software enablement of mine as a goodwill gesture, after all it will cost them nothing!

There are quite a few threads about this on the official UK forum and Facebook group..

A number of people who had 'free' dual chargers have now had them disabled remotely..

At least one owner who paid for dual chargers mistakenly had the second disabled and had quite a job getting it re-enabled..

And some who have had them disabled remotely have been very clearly told it will cost the full £1250+VAT to have the dual charger enabled again..

YMMV... but it seems safe to assume they will have to be consistent and disable the dual chargers for all those who did not spec them in due course..

I paid the option price for a new car and they turned the 2nd charger back on (they did it remotely over the air).

I don't mind the money; the whole experience was just incredibly badly handled.

The guy who ended up sorting it out was very apologetic and said they had been getting a lot of grief about it.