Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would seeing a Model S at night in another car's review mirror spook them out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You be the judge. This might be menacing to a BMW owner:) This what they'd see:

DSC_5409.jpg

Artsci is about to pounce. Look out everyone.:biggrin: It's funny, you can stand any distance in front of the car and look directly into the headlights and they won't blind you yet most cars on the road have blinding headlights from any angle or distance. Not to mention our headlights put out much more light than most currently on the road. I wish all other OEMs would spend the time Tesla spent on their headlights. Maybe I wouldn't hate driving at night as much. Kudos to Tesla.

A pair of LED strips might be fun:
- top: inverted U in green
- bottom: U in red

They should light up exactly the opposite of the power arc in the car: green smile for accelerating, red frown for decelerating.

Artsci is about to pounce. Look out everyone.:biggrin: It's funny, you can stand any distance in front of the car and look directly into the headlights and they won't blind you yet most cars on the road have blinding headlights from any angle or distance. Not to mention our headlights put out much more light than most currently on the road. I wish all other OEMs would spend the time Tesla spent on their headlights. Maybe I wouldn't hate driving at night as much. Kudos to Tesla.

I always wondered about this... Never seeing my own lights at night but without the brights on you get amazing night coverage and then the brights light up everything! Driving through a wooded area you even get the tops of trees lit up... A friend within the first week of having the car was with me at night and commented, you have the lights I hate driving against because they really blind you... And was always curious after that about the angling and how it affected other drivers.

About the night pic, I do love our headlight design it really was well thought out and looks really great! The best look of the new LED strip style of lights.

It's a cute idea. I'm pretty sure showing red lights on the front of the car is illegal, though. Maybe amber for the frown?
Walter
The green is equally illegal.

Technically the lighted T doesn't meet the letter of the law either mind you... but I doubt anyone would ever hassle you over that one.

Laws vary by province/state, but in North America most of them are very similar (so as to match up with federal manufacturer regulations) Here's the ones allowed in my jurisdiction, but likely not really different anywhere in Canada/US

You may have the following lights and use as listed:

- mandatory lights:
- 2 low beam headlights, white (some jurisdictions allow yellow as well (yellow used to be mandatory in parts of europe)) these must be used when driving between 1 hour after sunset and 1 hour before sunrise
- 2? turn signals/hazard lights (amber), these must be used to indicate a turn or lane change, and must not be left on when driving straight (hazards are to be used only when parked)
- 2? parking lights (amber), these must be on whenever the low or high beams are on, and may be used independently of the low or high beams
- 2 high beam headlights (white), these may be used in conjunction with low beams, and must not be used when within 150m behind another vehicle, or 300m ahead of an oncoming vehicle
- 2 daytime running lights (white or amber), These are mandatory in Canada, optional in the USA. these must be on whenever the vehicle is in motion, and must turn off whenever the low or high beams are turned on, if they are optically combined with signal lights, the one on the same side of the vehicle as the signal must turn off when that signal light is activated.

- optional lights:
- 2 driving lights (white), these must only be used in conjunction with high beams
- 2 fog lights (white or yellow), these must only be used in fog, and only in conjunction with low beams (and not high beams)

- all lights must be mounted no higher than the headlights
- all lights must be DOT or "E" coded
- all lights must have the same type and rating of bulb as the approval is for
- any lights not meeting the above criteria, or any lights beyond what is allowed, must be covered or removed when on public roadways.

As you can see, you can have up to 14 different lights out the front of the vehicle (and in fact I can't be certain, but I believe it is legal to have multiple sets of both the parking lights and turn signals, so you could possibly have even more)