Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need roadster advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Have owned model s for 18 months but never followed tesla before model s. Wife wants roadster so I am a man on a mission. Need advise. I know there is a 2.0 and 2.0 sport. Can anyone tell me the difference? We're there improvements to the 2.0 after 2010 version? She is not a speed demon, not sure I need the fastest. I know there is to be upgraded battery pack, are all roadsters going to be able to get that? The original warrantee period and is there an extended service plan? Appreciate any advise

There are 3 non-sport and sport models. The original model is the 1.5 (approximately 500 were made) , followed by the 2.0 and lastly the 2.5 model being the newest. Everyone has their favorite for different reasons. There are many threads on this subject on TMC.

I would suggest getting a vehicle from Tesla under warranty.

I have a 2.5 with fully adjustable suspension. Others have other bells and whistles. Ask around and then you might want to start by allowing her to test drive a few and make the decision herself.

Things may seem important to you that might not be so important to her.

My $0.02

The difference is minuscule and barely detectable with a stopwatch.
I would pick a color and interior details ( double din nav ) you want before trying to spend more money on those 0.2 seconds.

Some people can tell the difference in the cars. The people who say it is not detectable are usually the ones who didn't get the Sport. And that's fine. Each to their own. But it is detectable. :)

Hi all. Have owned model s for 18 months but never followed tesla before model s. Wife wants roadster so I am a man on a mission. Need advise. I know there is a 2.0 and 2.0 sport. Can anyone tell me the difference? We're there improvements to the 2.0 after 2010 version? She is not a speed demon, not sure I need the fastest. I know there is to be upgraded battery pack, are all roadsters going to be able to get that? The original warrantee period and is there an extended service plan? Appreciate any advise

I have a 2.0 non-sport. The difference between the non- and the sport is mostly adjustable suspension and a slightly more powerful motor (and software to deliver extra electrons to it). This accounts for a difference of 3.9 vs 3.7 seconds 0-60. The 2.5 version introduced some new styling on the front end, and half-height center vents in the dashboard that allowed a double-DIN sound/nav system. We recently retrofitted the new vents, and recommend that. The battery pack didn't change between versions so any upgrade should apply to all of them. I don't know about the warranty/service plan issues, since we bought it new.

The Roadster 1.5 was actually the first production car, 1.0 refers to some very early cars with two speed gearbox that was replaced in service making even those early Roadsters 1.5.

The 1.5 original styling looked like this:
Roadster15LHF.jpg

The interior still had the gear lever that was designed for the 2 speed gearbox.
Roadster15INT.jpg

The series 2 kept the same external styling and updated the interior with push buttons instead of the gear stick.
Roadster20INT.jpg

Around this time some significant changes were made to the Power Electronics Module (PEM) that communicates between the battery and motor and IIRC also handles battery management.
The 2.5 saw further refinement of the interior allowing for a double DIN music system to be installed
Roadster25INT.jpg

Note how they moved the vents to the top of the dash to allow for the double DIN.
At the same time Franz Von Holzhausen refreshed the external styling with more aerodynamic openings.
Roadster25LHF.jpg

Almost all 1.5's were non sports except for a few prototypes.
The sport model has a hand wound motor and modified PEM plus adjustable suspension.
I think the largest number made were 2.0's and they feature the newer PEM, loose the silly gear stick but retain the original styling.

From what I have heard, Tesla does not keep the CPO roadster website up to date. You may want to call your local Tesla store and ask them for a list of Roadsters for sale. I did this and I received a short list of available cars that were not on the website.

Some of us prefer the gear stick to the silly buttons. :smile:
I'm also one who prefers the stick selector over the silly push buttons. Buttons are great for a vending machine or a Prius but not for a sportscar. I've driven both and own the 1.5. I couldn't easily find what gear / drive to select without looking down all the time, pain when you're backing up. The stick selector you can do and feel with your eyes close. But people say they get use to it. It also has a real sporty feel and allows me to interact in a sportier way. Never thought push buttons were sporty.

I personally found the back lighting of the push buttons way too bright at night, blinding for me. I even dialed down the speedo dimmer, then that's too dim and push buttons are almost acceptable. They still need to go dimmer. Also the 1.5 still has a real carbon fiber center console which the didn't opt to put in later since it cost more. They also moved the VMS / computer screen from the left corner of the Roadster to the center. I like the left location for that I don't have to dive into the car to access the VMS for charging, reading the VMS when the car is parked, but most importantly away from the sun glare. I found the 2.x VMS center screen always was difficult to see in comparison since it would get sun glare from the driver's side, passenger side, but mostly from the rear window that's letting in so much glaring light.

The 2.x's were a cost savings move for Tesla. They made some improvements but not as much as they moved the price up to make more of a profit. They removed things that cost extra money like the aircraft quality PEM connectors, the PEM was redesigned to get away from AC propulsion's royalties for inductive charging where the motor was used as a charging inductor. I also feel the 1.5 PEM is built better/heavier duty than the 2.x redesigned PEM. The 2.x PEMs are known to collect leaves, dirty, pine needles and then overheat. The 2.x PEM with the updated blower will run cooler than the 1.5 but I've never had any issue with the PEM on the 1.5 being a problem and I'm in California where temps in the valley can reach 105 on various summer days. 1.5 was fine and reliable. They got rid of the pump lumbar support on both seats and instead put removable pads in. Seats were giving more ass padding which makes one sit higher (I'm tall and don't like it) but also added way better side support (wish the 1.5 had this) that really locks you in when taking hard turns in the Roadster.

As for the updated areo design, I don't like the 2.5 styling in the nose. It doesn't look finished and has a funky look due to the center fish mouth circle. The side venting was an awesome look but the round sucker fish nose is just odd. I do like the rear diffuser design, that looks great. The 1.5 front/rear look was too simple, there could have been more there, possibly the 1.5 front with side vents with a minor redesign would have been it and the look I'm after. But people love the design of both and happy with each no matter which version. Its a car that you grow more and more in love with, that's for sure.

rear-1_1280x724-720x407.jpg

Last edited: