Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear childseat bolts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi.

I have removed the rear child seats in order to sound isolate underneath to remove some of the sound from the drive train and wind noise. To remove the rear seats you only have to remove to bolts and you can remove the seats.

But today when I was going to reinstall the seats I noticed that the thread within the hole the bolts were going to go into wasn't there. It looks like I have to cut a couple of new threads the bolts can go into, and use a couple of a bit larger bolts, since the ones that came with the car will be to small.

Have anyone else tried to remove the rear seats and experienced the same?

skruehul1.jpg

I hopes the above picture gives an indication what I am talking about :)

Last edited:
Uh... are you sure the threads have been stripped? Maybe there were no threads to begin with and there was just a bolt on the other side?? Sorry, but I'm not willing to risk taking off my seats to check for you.

been there. there are threaded backing plates, one per side. they are not fastened. so they will fall away. you need to get the carpeting away, to the side on each side there is a small opening where the backing plates are inserted during production. I was lucky to retrieve the plates by fishing around in there with a wire and a strong magnet. then you can slide them back in onto two tracks that hold them. sorry I have no fotos.

axryp: I noticed that there should be something that could slide, I have now tried with some really powerful magnets, but they are nowhere to be found inside...

I guess it should be possible to get a couple of new ones from Tesla or make some new ones myself.

in my case both plates were on the far left inside. I needed about 30 to 40 cm wire with a small superstrong magnet securely taped to the end. since everything else is aluminium, the first time I heard "tock" I knew I had one of the plates. It took me about half an hour of fishing. Important lesson: put the screws back in every time to keep the plates from sliding away.