Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with lightning connector in new center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone tried to shut my center console while my iPhone was in the dock and this damaged the lightning connector in the console. Luckily the phone was fine.

It was pretty easy to disassemble the elements and remove the cable in question. When I received my center console it also came with a "blank" which I've replaced the lightning connector with until I have a chance to get a new cable.

Picture of the dock and USB connector. Connector has been unplugged from the USB port closest to the driver. Note that there might be enough slack to get it to plug into a low profile USB cigarette lighter adaptor to take advantage of the higher current available at the lighter:

photo 1 (1).JPG

Pulling the USB Cable up allows one to remove the floor of the charging station
photo 2 (1).JPG

The actual docking connector is held in place by two Philips screws
photo 3.JPG

The connector can be opened up by removing two screws to reveal the cable
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG

The actual cable is about a foot in length and bears a Griffin Technologies logo.
photo 2 (1).JPG

Here is the unit reassembled using the blank that was included.
photo 1 (1).JPG

Thanks! I wonder if one could modify the cable to slide it up slightly in the housing so that a phone with a case will work... Any indication if that seems possible?

The cable is held in place vertically because of how the right angle sets in the holder. Might be possible to raise it a millimeter or two using a dremel tool. Or 3D print a new plastic holder for the cable which has it jut out a little.

Not sure if we'll see a third party cable emerge as the licensing fees for the lightning connector are pretty expensive.

Sorry to hear of the damage to your new console. This seems like a design flaw. I presume the damage occurred since the phone was docked to the cable and when the door was closed, it sat at a horizontal potion, thus applying torque to the lightning connector? Could this also be a problem if the phone is in the dock in the normal position and you accelerate rapidly? I'd imagine the phone would lurch away from the dock and also cause some torque.

I hope Tesla can replace the cable at a reasonable cost: I tried to search for a 90 degree lightning cable but it doesn't seem these are a consumer item.

On another note, your signature indicates you have a tan interior and obeche gloss trim. Can you take pics of your console (I presume it's one of the piano black finishes) from above, with the existing obeche wood cupholder/armrest showing, so we can get an idea what this combo looks like?

Sorry to hear of the damage to your new console. This seems like a design flaw. I presume the damage occurred since the phone was docked to the cable and when the door was closed, it sat at a horizontal potion, thus applying torque to the lightning connector? Could this also be a problem if the phone is in the dock in the normal position and you accelerate rapidly? I'd imagine the phone would lurch away from the dock and also cause some torque.
I don't think the stress on the device caused by acceleration could cause damage to the lightning connector; time will tell.

I hope Tesla can replace the cable at a reasonable cost: I tried to search for a 90 degree lightning cable but it doesn't seem these are a consumer item.
Tesla offered to sell me a new cable for $50. I passed. I just got a Techshop membership through their Veterans program and will use the opportunity to learn about 3D printing. I think it wouldn't be too difficult to design some compatible parts that would use an off the shelf lightning cable.

On another note, your signature indicates you have a tan interior and obeche gloss trim. Can you take pics of your console (I presume it's one of the piano black finishes) from above, with the existing obeche wood cupholder/armrest showing, so we can get an idea what this combo looks like?
Here is the picture taken through my sunroof. I've got some 3M woodgrain vinyl on order that I hope matches the obeche. I had to buy a 4ft sheet so I'll probably be selling some craps on TMC to pay for it. Will post pics of the result in a few days.

photo (1).JPG

After I saw your post, I looked for wood wraps and I hoped you were going for this one. At least on the image it does look a lot like the obeche. I wonder if a coat of clear coat applied to the vinyl would make it match the gloss? Did you get a sense if the door can be removed to facilitate application, and perhaps painting/clear coating?

Also, if you do 3d print a holder, would you add any front support to prevent the same damage from occurring again?

garyREM: good find on the 90 degree connectors. I was looking for an exact Griffin so it could be a direct replacement.

I took a dremel tool to the blank piece that was included with my console and carved out a space for the Apple branded lightning cable.

It juts out a little too far but this was the logical height that it set at given the space that I carved out for the cable to sit in. Ideally, I'd like it to be 1-2mm lower. It's worked well with my phone in its case and seems stable.

BTW, I did some experimenting and the cable that's included with the console will stretch to the cigarette lighter.

photo.JPG

THanks! So what holds the cable in place? Did you glue it or otherwise attach, or is it held via friction and the size of the cutout?

I took a dremel tool to the blank piece that was included with my console and carved out a space for the Apple branded lightning cable.

It juts out a little too far but this was the logical height that it set at given the space that I carved out for the cable to sit in. Ideally, I'd like it to be 1-2mm lower. It's worked well with my phone in its case and seems stable.

BTW, I did some experimenting and the cable that's included with the console will stretch to the cigarette lighter.

look ma, no cup holder cinchers.

- - - Updated - - -

I still like my Tetrax Geo mount better than putting my phone down in any center console. sure, I have a usb cable that hangs, but at least it's directly in my line of sight and I dont have to take my eyes off the road while I'm driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: sammyfan711
I still like my Tetrax Geo mount better than putting my phone down in any center console. sure, I have a usb cable that hangs, but at least it's directly in my line of sight and I dont have to take my eyes off the road while I'm driving.

I like my Steelie mount on my dashboard better than the console holder. But I still like the idea of having a functional center console holder.

Does anybody know if there is an option for qi wireless charging in the console? My wife and I have Nexus 4/5 phones which have wireless charging. We've found this much nicer than fiddling with connectors. It would be great if there was an option for a wireless charger (or two) in the center console.

The floor of the console between the USB ports and the docking connector can be easily removed. Tesla provides a blank plate to remove the USB/iPhone docking connector and cover over that opening.

It should be possible to replace the Tesla-supplied USB cable with something connected to a wireless charger - and you might even be able to install that underneath the plastic insert Tesla provides in that area.