Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mystery Tesla item/part: What is it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ibcs

Jan 31, 2010
Ohio
Can someone tell me what the picture item is used for within Tesla? Supercharger / Model S or any other thoughts. I have no details, but was given this because I'm a Tesla crazy!

20140817_144106720_iOS.jpg

Top view shows venting

20140817_152229385_iOS.jpg

That's mine and I'd like it back, please. I need both of them in order to (sorry, NDA and all that, you know)

Answer # 2: You're in Ohio. There are a lot of contract manufacturers in that part of the country. Given the item's beveled profile - which would allow extraction of the finished piece - I wonder if it isn't the kind of mold that's used when it-isn't-an-injection-mold-but-that-other-kind. The end product would be a piece of "plastic" that has a sur-relief Tesla logo. ???????

To me it looks like some kind of wall lighting. I think the holes are there to let out light. A fluorescent or led light could go in this thing and it could be attached to a wall.
It could be lighting an outdoor wall for decoration. I think that's called facade lighting. It could also be a sign light. In this case I would expect another version that lights downwards so you could have a sign or poster in between. I found an example of this type of lighting here.

By the way at first glance I thought the holes looked like heat escape holes but the shape of the object doesn't make sense. Also it looks like the object needs to be mounted to a flat surface. Therefore lighting cover looks more likely to me.

000.jpg

picture is from here

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what the picture item is used for within Tesla? Supercharger / Model S or any other thoughts. I have no details, but was given this because I'm a Tesla crazy!
Well, somebody gave it to you, right? Ask them what they know and where they got it. Walk the chain back. That seems like the easiest way to figure out what it is.

If it is, then it is ahead of its time. Because they are not stamping X parts yet! I keep telling people that but no one wants to believe me. Honest. They are not stamping X parts yet. They're not. Really. If people think they've seen stamped X parts, they're confused. No no no.

OK...Let's change the rumor to the first model 3 part!:biggrin:

If it is, then it is ahead of its time. Because they are not stamping X parts yet! I keep telling people that but no one wants to believe me. Honest. They are not stamping X parts yet. They're not. Really. If people think they've seen stamped X parts, they're confused. No no no.

They said they would have alphas built by now, according to the last shareholder letter. Wouldn't there be stamped alpha parts?

They said they would have alphas built by now, according to the last shareholder letter. Wouldn't there be stamped alpha parts?

Typically they don't make up dies and stamp those parts themselves. They have those parts custom made off-site. It's too expensive to make up dies & then turn around and throw them away. Better (cheaper) to spend the money on more costly custom parts, get them fine-tuned, and then make the dies when you have the parts finalized.