Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging Cape Cod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Destination Charging Station on Cape Cod- The Palmer House Inn

The Palmer House Inn, luxury Select Registry lodging is now a destination charging location on Cape Cod.

Stay two or more nights in a premium king whirlpool room and we will charge your Tesla upon arrival and keep it charged until you depart.

The Palmer House Inn is located in the historic district of Falmouth Village. It is within easy walking distance of Main Street with its unique shops and international, award winning "restaurant row".

Book and recharge on your Cape escape by calling 1.508.548.1230. Or book on our website www.palmerhouseinn.com

-The Palmer House Inn
81 Palmer Avenue
Falmouth, MA 02540

Reactions: chjch
I've decided to allow one post from businesses that offer destination charging. Although this is an exception to our normal "no advertising" rule, the existence and terms of the destination charging is of general interest.
The terms aren't just of general interest-- they're really odd. In looking at their web site I think 6 of the 17 rooms have both king beds and what the website calls jacuzzi tubs. So if someone stays in one of the other 11 rooms they can't charge their car? Or if someone stays only one night they can't charge their car? I've never heard of a hotel or B&B with any type of EV charging that doesn't make it available to any guest regardless of room type or length of stay. I wonder if this hotel knows they're probably the only hotel or B&B in the country doing this. Hopefully they'll check back with this thread to see at least this one Tesla owner is not impressed with their destination charging.

Message to hotels-- either you have destination charging or you don't. We don't appreciate you using it to try to upsell a room or length of stay.

I think it matters because we don't want this to start a trend. Whether a hotel has a HPWC or a J1772 or a wall outlet EV drivers can use, the answer to a prospective guest's question "can I plug my car in there?" should not depend on the room type or length of stay.

I agree - and my guess is that if Tesla provided the HPWC as part of the Destination Charging program, they would not allow such restrictions. Unless the chargers are under excessive demand (not likely), I would expect hotels to provide charging for people stopping to visit hotel guests or have a meal or drink there.

I can see why they would try to require their upscale rooms. They're a small business, they know Tesla owners are driving $100K cars, and they hope to entice some big spenders to come visit. The problem is that overall, it's kinda hinky that it's not available to all patrons of the establishment, whether they stay in the king+whirlpool room for two nights, or whether they just stop to pick something up in the gift shop.

I think this makes them look cheap and desperate and that it reflects very poorly on them.

The terms aren't just of general interest-- they're really odd. In looking at their web site I think 6 of the 17 rooms have both king beds and what the website calls jacuzzi tubs. So if someone stays in one of the other 11 rooms they can't charge their car? Or if someone stays only one night they can't charge their car? I've never heard of a hotel or B&B with any type of EV charging that doesn't make it available to any guest regardless of room type or length of stay. I wonder if this hotel knows they're probably the only hotel or B&B in the country doing this. Hopefully they'll check back with this thread to see at least this one Tesla owner is not impressed with their destination charging.

Message to hotels-- either you have destination charging or you don't. We don't appreciate you using it to try to upsell a room or length of stay.

It doesn't actually say that if you don't get the "premium" room you can't use them. It says that if you do get one "we will charge your Tesla upon arrival and keep it charged until you depart". To me it implies that a premium room guarantees you charging, but maybe others can charge first-come-first-served if there's an open HPWC.

If they said they have destination charging, but it might not be available to you because a premium guest has preferred access, should they advertize that they have destination charging?

NMI.

The Sagamore Supercharger changes charging, but I'm sure people visiting might prefer to skip an unnecessary Supercharge if they know they'll get plugged in with fast-AC charging at their destination.

Okay, rather than speculate, I just gave up and called.

They said that they are going to back down from the two night high-end room requirement, and any guest who stays there will be able to use the HPWCs. However, per the permit he has with the town, he's "only allowed to provide services to registered guests." But if you're not checked in, you can't use them.

They said that they are going to back down from the two night high-end room requirement, and any guest who stays there will be able to use the HPWCs. However, per the permit he has with the town, he's "only allowed to provide services to registered guests." But if you're not checked in, you can't use them.
Tesla owners may not be able to change state dealer laws yet, but we just influenced a small hotel to make the right decision. One step at a time.

Thanks for being proactive about this. The "registered guests only" policy seems to be uniform across all the destination charging hotels on Tesla's map.

The "registered guests only" policy seems to be uniform across all the destination charging hotels on Tesla's map.
When I first heard about the Tesla's destination charging map, I thought the hotels were being overly restrictive in only allowing 'registered guests' to use their chargers. But after thinking about it for some time, I realize this makes sense. It is not a public charging resource - it is more like visiting a friend or family that is able to provide charging. These private businesses invested the time, money, and hassle (electrical work, permits, setup the location of charger(s)) and are providing charging to their guests. They are likely very motivated (and able) to prevent ICEing. I don't know how many of these types of destinations I will take advantage of personally, but it is nice to know that they exist. I find it very encouraging that these hotels have decided to invest in providing this ammenity for their guests. And, I look at the Tesla charger map locations like Tesla authorized body shops - they have been vetted by Tesla, and there is some implied accountability moving forward (being the map, for example).

When I first heard about the Tesla's destination charging map, I thought the hotels were being overly restrictive in only allowing 'registered guests' to use their chargers. But after thinking about it for some time, I realize this makes sense. It is not a public charging resource - it is more like visiting a friend or family that is able to provide charging. These private businesses invested the time, money, and hassle (electrical work, permits, setup the location of charger(s)) and are providing charging to their guests. They are likely very motivated (and able) to prevent ICEing. I don't know how many of these types of destinations I will take advantage of personally, but it is nice to know that they exist. I find it very encouraging that these hotels have decided to invest in providing this ammenity for their guests. And, I look at the Tesla charger map locations like Tesla authorized body shops - they have been vetted by Tesla, and there is some implied accountability moving forward (being the map, for example).
Exactly. It's a marketing tool for the hotel to attract a Tesla-driving guests. If others start calling the hotels with excuses about why they can't stay there but asking to charge anyway, or asking if buying a newspaper in the gift shop qualifies, hotels may decide it's not worth the hassle of offering it.

I agree it's a reasonable practice. Many hotels offer a free continental breakfast -- to their registered guests only. We don't think it odd that they'd decline to feed someone gratis who just popped in. The value of the electricity for a full charge is more than $10; that's just the electricity (at retail rates). Then there's the capital cost of wiring up the HPWC. So, yes, makes sense to require an overnight stay.