Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With about a year away from getting my Model X (hopefully in a little bit less time...), I was wondering what I should be expecting for an insurance premium. Just looking for a ballpark figure here, with the car most likely hovering around 100k. I assume it will not be much different from a similarly priced Model S, so that's why I posted this here.

I'm just starting to piece together all the misc costs in addition to the actual vehicle...

Thanks!

Roughly $2000-$2500 per year for good coverage, depending on your company, location, age, driving history, other discounts, etc. Some people get amazing rates closer to $1000-$1500 per year but I have yet to find coverage I like at that range.

The company I work at partners w/Liberty Mutual to get good rates for its employees, and they'll charge me a little under $1400/yr but that includes good coverage AND they'll knock 1 year + 15,000 miles off the car's life when estimating what I'll get if it's ever totaled. The insurance agent I'm currently using checked with 3 other companies that they work with and they all were several hundred dollars more per year for similar coverage, so it looks like I'll be going with Liberty.

I'm not sure how much more a Model X will cost to insure relative to a Model S, but I'm paying $550 per 6 months with GEICO in Texas, and that's with maxed out liability coverage. I was actually pleasantly surprised how affordable it was.

Unfortunately, the variance is so high from state to state and insured to insured, it's really hard to predict what kind of rates you'll get. GEICO (at least in Texas) gives some pretty serious discount if you meet certain criteria, which I think is why my premium ended up relatively low.