Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch Battery Swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to know they're actually being built.

I was wondering though- fast forward a few years down the road, if your pack is aging and down a bit in capacity, you can get a nice fresh new pack for just a few bucks? 10 years from now, can you still swap if your battery is out of warranty?

Or, what happens when you swap a battery and you get one that's got a lot more age and less capacity (assuming these will just continually be recycled?)

I was wondering though- fast forward a few years down the road, if your pack is aging and down a bit in capacity, you can get a nice fresh new pack for just a few bucks?

It is for round-trips where you get your original battery back on the way back.

Apparently, the Harris Ranch car wash has been out of order for a long time. Maybe this is why they don't want to invest in repairs.

Good to know they're actually being built.

I was wondering though- fast forward a few years down the road, if your pack is aging and down a bit in capacity, you can get a nice fresh new pack for just a few bucks? 10 years from now, can you still swap if your battery is out of warranty?

Or, what happens when you swap a battery and you get one that's got a lot more age and less capacity (assuming these will just continually be recycled?)

Based on my recollection from last year's event.

At the Battery Swap announcement in Hawthorne last year, Elon said that [Tesla] knows how old your pack is! and they have a credit card on file, so, to swap batteries! you can pay for the swap (the cost of a fill up of gas) or supercharge for free... The question is speed or cost...

If you decide to keep the pack, and not swap it back on your return, they will charge you the "difference" in value between your used pack and the pack at the swap station.

At the Battery Swap announcement in Hawthorne last year, Elon said that [Tesla] knows how old your pack is! and they have a credit card on file, so, to swap batteries! you can pay for the swap (the cost of a fill up of gas) or supercharge for free... The question is speed or cost...

If you decide to keep the pack, and not swap it back on your return, they will charge you the "difference" in value between your used pack and the pack at the swap station.

Key to that strategy is get a credit card with a limit of $2k

That makes sense. It also makes sense that (in the future) they may offer larger capacity batteries that you could rent from a swap station for a road trip.

That would be..... very cool.

Tesla (TSLA) Gains on Fremont Plant Retooling Details - Yahoo Finance

So, Zacks noted about the updates to Fremont that
"The biggest change has taken place in the general assembly, where advanced robots have been installed to lift and move cars between the floor and electrified rail, apart from other heavy lifting work. These robots will also be used to install battery packs in Tesla’s cars in the near future, thus cutting the installation time to half from the current four minutes."

Another step to swapping ...

I took a current picture through the door. It's a pretty facility.

IMG_6046.JPG

I still think Tesla should reopen it now as one of the lesser used of a wider network. They have more customers who behave differently than before. SuperChargers are slower and more congested. The owners don't look at their cars as museum pieces as much.

The network I proposed includes another in Gilroy (101 & 152), Santa Nella (5 & 152), Tejon (5 & 99), and one West of Tejon on 101 near a cross-mountain freeway that gets inland to 5 & 99, make them all 24 hours all days of year, and stock a freeway special battery to get from first to last battery swap skipping Harris Ranch, and a city special battery (likely a normal 100) when leaving the battery swap network.

Harris Ranch would be a very lightly used swap station in such a network, but would get enough usage out of occasional users that it seems worth it to reopen (also 24 365).

The current storage capacity at Harris Ranch seems low on those racks in my picture. The total capacity would have to be much greater, more like thousands of batteries per site, at least at the new feeder and exit stations (in my network all new ones would both feed and exit).

IMG_6047_quarter.png

Last edited: