Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Independence, MO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the purpose of building a SC just 80 miles east of Topeka when Columbia MO is roughly where I-70 recharging is needed? Seems like a waste of limited resources and a redefinition of the purpose of SCs.
--

What is the purpose of building a SC just 80 miles east of Topeka when Columbia MO is roughly where I-70 recharging is needed? Seems like a waste of limited resources and a redefinition of the purpose of SCs.
--

I beg to differ. For fast charging of 85's, reasonable passage of 60's, fly like the wind driving styles, and bad weather reserves, Superchargers need to be no more than 133 miles apart on flat ground, closer with elevation changes. Few people buy Teslas to spend an extra 45 minutes to get that last 20% of charge and/or hypermile their way cross-country.

Topeka to Columbia is 189 miles; that's too much distance between Superchargers. Besides, having a Supercharger near the triple intersection of I-70, I-29, and I-35 is pretty nice triple dipping. :biggrin:

I beg to differ. For fast charging of 85's, reasonable passage of 60's, fly like the wind driving styles, and bad weather reserves, Superchargers need to be no more than 133 miles apart on flat ground, closer with elevation changes. Few people buy Teslas to spend an extra 45 minutes to get that last 20% of charge and/or hypermile their way cross-country.

Topeka to Columbia is 189 miles; that's too much distance between Superchargers. Besides, having a Supercharger near the triple intersection of I-70, I-29, and I-35 is pretty nice triple dipping. :biggrin:

Right. Junction City would also be a great place because it's 136 miles from Independence and on the corner of 18, 77, and 70.

--

I might agree if the East-West corridor was the only thing to consider. However, significant traffic flows N/S to/from Des Moines, Joplin, Springfield as well. Had a trip just last month that was practically in drivable in a timely fashion because of the lack of a KC Supercharger.

Does anyone know anything more about and Independence SuperCharger? I go to KC from Omaha, and the mileage is about 210 to Independence, so I could make it pretty well with my 85kWh...

The only thing worse than the wait for the Model S is the wait for them to open Superchargers where you need them.

"KC Supercharger" can include a lot of different choices. It does not need to be inside the city limits or even in the metro area. When I suggested Cameron, MO it was based on the Topeka site existing. My bad since Topeka site does not exist. Cameron serves north-south on I-35 as well as east-west on US36. Driving across Missouri on four lane US36 is a relaxing and unimpeded experience. You will arrive way before your shadow does beating his way across I-70, fighting rush hour traffic, semis, circumferentials on top of circumferentials (he will need a navigator!). Unbelievable what drivers put up with simply because 'that's the way its done'.

I just round tripped US36 last week for the umpteenth time (Lincoln NE to Decatur/Normal IL). Try it, you'll like it.
--

Last edited: