Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you import a Left Hand Drive Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello there,

I'm from the UK, thinking of starting a car import business and looking for an ideal location. There are loads of used Teslas going for competitive prices in the US. I know that HK Teslas use EU SIMs roaming in HK, is this the same for the US SIM?

I know that LHD is generally prohibited in the SAR, but Tesla was able to get exemption on one of the roadster models. Would it be possible to get exemption as a business and import US or European market Teslas?

Anyone here a technician for Tesla in HK or a worker at the transport department?

Bigger problem would be that the charge port is different. U.S. cars have Tesla port and HK cars have Mennekes type 2-modified Tesla port. UMC not compatible. Superchargers are also not compatible.
I see... I was thinking of maybe importing a few repaired (ex-salvage) Teslas as cheap US imports and would provide US port install services for garage owners, or convert the charging port by physically removing it and putting a HK-supported plug in place.

You're from Japan - have you guys got an official release? Or do you import HK/UK RHD models? Does 3G work?

- - - Updated - - -

HK is not using the US sim card. Also it is not allow to register or even driving EXCEPT very special reason.
I know it isn't, but from the top of your head... could you think of a dramatic bulls**t reason why I could justify importing a used 2012 Tesla Model S?

I don't know whether HK cars are equipped with the same master chargers or firmware as American Model S... Supercharger pins are not compatible so might as well be the signaling.

Re; Japan we are still waiting. We are RHD and U.S. spec cars with the same supercharger port. Japan will get the first delivery in September. Here 3G is almost depreciated - everywhere 4G. If Tesla still use 3G in Japan it would be very slow as nobody else is using it and bandwidth may be limited.

Don't bother importing EVs privately in Hong Kong, I have tried to do it with a UK LEAF, however, 2 years, and the application is still being processed, apparently the Transport Department needs some information from the "manufacturer" even tho I have given them all documentations they listed on their website (The test reports of the battery and the electrical safety tests etc).

Long story short:

They have asked for a written confirmation of compatibility with HK electrical standard regarding charging equipment from the manufacturer(it has the same EVSE part number as the one sold in HK), although it wasn't easy and took a long time, I have managed it, now TD is talking directly with Nissan GB for months now, and still no news.

I think TD has their reasons not to allow privately imported EVs in HK, they just cannot find an excuse to turn my application down.

I seriously do not recommend importing privately any EVs in Hong Kong, TD is playing a game here.

I will continue to fight as I believe HK should have more accessible electrical vehicles to the public and not limited by the monopoly of Nissan (most tax benefits but yet the most expensive retail price for a HK LEAF).

I truly thank Tesla chose HK as one of their initial markets in HK.

Don't bother importing EVs privately in Hong Kong, I have tried to do it with a UK LEAF, however, 2 years, and the application is still being processed, apparently the Transport Department needs some information from the "manufacturer" even tho I have given them all documentations they listed on their website (The test reports of the battery and the electrical safety tests etc).

Long story short:

They have asked for a written confirmation of compatibility with HK electrical standard regarding charging equipment from the manufacturer(it has the same EVSE part number as the one sold in HK), although it wasn't easy and took a long time, I have managed it, now TD is talking directly with Nissan GB for months now, and still no news.

I think TD has their reasons not to allow privately imported EVs in HK, they just cannot find an excuse to turn my application down.

I seriously do not recommend importing privately any EVs in Hong Kong, TD is playing a game here.

I will continue to fight as I believe HK should have more accessible electrical vehicles to the public and not limited by the monopoly of Nissan (most tax benefits but yet the most expensive retail price for a HK LEAF).

I truly thank Tesla chose HK as one of their initial markets in HK.

Thanks a huge lot for informing me!

Don't you have any people in the TD that could help you, perhaps for a 'fee'? And also, have you considered taking them to court or 'hinting' that you may?

Also, with the electricity compatibility, contact a certified technician and pay him to write a letter on his behalf or call up the TD. Find one who is Chinese (I assume you aren't), they may do it for a local in case they have something against foreigners ;)

Oh... I read on Apple Daily a guy imported a Nissan Leaf from Japan and he couldn't get the confirmation about the compatibility of charging equipment from Nissan Japan and he shipped the Leaf back to Japan (heard he lost everything because once a car left Japan, it can't be sold again in Japan.....). For those who can read Chinese, this guy told people everything about his case on discuss.com.hk. (now he oredered a i3 and thinking of getting a Model S too)

Lucky you imported a UK version and Nissan UK is so nice to you. The dealer of Nissan HK is probably the worst in promoting the Leaf, charging a high price but I don't see them investing any charging facilities here.

Oh... I read on Apple Daily a guy imported a Nissan Leaf from Japan and he couldn't get the confirmation about the compatibility of charging equipment from Nissan Japan and he shipped the Leaf back to Japan (heard he lost everything because once a car left Japan, it can't be sold again in Japan.....). For those who can read Chinese, this guy told people everything about his case on discuss.com.hk. (now he oredered a i3 and thinking of getting a Model S too)

Lucky you imported a UK version and Nissan UK is so nice to you. The dealer of Nissan HK is probably the worst in promoting the Leaf, charging a high price but I don't see them investing any charging facilities here.

Yes, I know that guy from Apple Daily's report (I will refer him as Mr. LEAF from now), I had been in contact with him about the case, and we had both complaint to the HK ombudsman, but that didn't help. I even had Nissan GB written a confirmation to TD that they only produced one battery type worldwide for all LEAFs.

Anyways, Mr. LEAF's case is slightly different from mine as Japan uses different type approval and testing method from the rest of the world, therefore, TD declined his application because he couldnt provide the required information. Mr. LEAF and I are both very much up for pure EVs, and he ended up putting a deposit down for an i3.

As for Nissan HK, the TAX free policy in HK should have made HK one of the cheapest place to buy a LEAF, however, the government of HK have a huge contract with Nissan and have purchased some numbers for each of their departments. Also, according to a friend of mine who works as a contractor for government engineering works (I am not going to say which), to win a multi-million dollars worth of contract, it is a non-compulsory "requirement" to have a few EVs within the working fleet of vehicles serving the contract (at that time, only the LEAF and iMIEV was available). From what I have heard, those EVs purchased for the contract are inside a car park most of the time, and are not being used as much as the other vehicles within the contract.

My suspicion is that Nissan HK (DCH motors) knew they are not going to sell as many LEAFs to private owners, and that the government and corporations linked to the government will purchase far more in numbers, therefore, they have made a larger margin in order to gain maximum profits instead of promoting them to the public.

So, if I or any other person is able to purchase a LEAF from overseas and register it in HK, the government will have trouble explaining why they spent a lot more money in buying the same vehicle from the HK dealer.
(The savings was almost half the cost of a brand new HK LEAF, so quite a lot of money there.)

Disclaimer: The above is only my own theory, and I certainly hope it isn't the truth.

Seems government is useless in many countries..z
(heard he lost everything because once a car left Japan, it can't be sold again in Japan.....)
Hmm there are many imported vehicles here and you can register any car if it complies with the law here. I don't think there will be a problem selling a Japanese spec Leaf, exported, imported again, as an imported car. Maybe it's difficult to do the paperwork for him. One more issue is that we have car check program every few years and if it's imported and not type approved the owner needs to bring it to TD every time. Japanese cars and type approved cars can be self-inspected by government approved factories. Tesla Roadster took "not type approved" way, whereas Model S will be "type approved".

Seems government is useless in many countries..z

Hmm there are many imported vehicles here and you can register any car if it complies with the law here. I don't think there will be a problem selling a Japanese spec Leaf, exported, imported again, as an imported car. Maybe it's difficult to do the paperwork for him. One more issue is that we have car check program every few years and if it's imported and not type approved the owner needs to bring it to TD every time. Japanese cars and type approved cars can be self-inspected by government approved factories. Tesla Roadster took "not type approved" way, whereas Model S will be "type approved".

I am not exactly sure, but the agent that worked for him explained that when you import a used vehicle in Japan, you will need the foreign registration documents, however since it was not registered in HK, and that it was de-registered in Japan, he cannot register it again in Japan as a "used vehicle"

Yes, I know that guy from Apple Daily's report (I will refer him as Mr. LEAF from now), I had been in contact with him about the case, and we had both complaint to the HK ombudsman, but that didn't help. I even had Nissan GB written a confirmation to TD that they only produced one battery type worldwide for all LEAFs.

Anyways, Mr. LEAF's case is slightly different from mine as Japan uses different type approval and testing method from the rest of the world, therefore, TD declined his application because he couldnt provide the required information. Mr. LEAF and I are both very much up for pure EVs, and he ended up putting a deposit down for an i3.

As for Nissan HK, the TAX free policy in HK should have made HK one of the cheapest place to buy a LEAF, however, the government of HK have a huge contract with Nissan and have purchased some numbers for each of their departments. Also, according to a friend of mine who works as a contractor for government engineering works (I am not going to say which), to win a multi-million dollars worth of contract, it is a non-compulsory "requirement" to have a few EVs within the working fleet of vehicles serving the contract (at that time, only the LEAF and iMIEV was available). From what I have heard, those EVs purchased for the contract are inside a car park most of the time, and are not being used as much as the other vehicles within the contract.

My suspicion is that Nissan HK (DCH motors) knew they are not going to sell as many LEAFs to private owners, and that the government and corporations linked to the government will purchase far more in numbers, therefore, they have made a larger margin in order to gain maximum profits instead of promoting them to the public.

So, if I or any other person is able to purchase a LEAF from overseas and register it in HK, the government will have trouble explaining why they spent a lot more money in buying the same vehicle from the HK dealer.
(The savings was almost half the cost of a brand new HK LEAF, so quite a lot of money there.)

Disclaimer: The above is only my own theory, and I certainly hope it isn't the truth.

Could this contractor of yours help one get a Left Hand Drive Tesla approved by chance?