Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FYI if you park at Alewife regularly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S85 is due to arrive on or near September 12th, and I park at Alewife. When I get in around 6:15am all 6 spots are usually empty so once I start parking there with my Tesla they'll be filling up earlier. If you've been parking there in the past and get in at a time when there are just 1 or 2 of those spaces left, it may be tougher to get a charging spot as of mid September.

Unless you have no charging at home, why bother? Waltham->Alewife and back is what, 15 miles round trip? Since those spaces are all parallel parking, I'd be scared of (literal) "run-ins" from those who "parallel park by feel". I've seen a few MS's there on the occasions I go in to Cambridge, and they were all in regular spaces.

Plus, you can feel good knowing you saved the spots for the lower range cars who may need it more. Good for karma and all that.

I park my grey S85 at Alewife sometimes, but never at a charger because I never need a charge (hailing from Concord I could do the round trip ten times on a full charge) as that would hog a charger that someone else might actually need (such as a long-distance Tesla traveler or a Leaf).

Please don't park in chargers if you don't need a charge, even if they are better parking spaces! For EV travelers, it is as bad as being ICED out of a charger that they might need to get home safely.

That's a very good point, it's not really necessary, so I'll avoid parking there unless I'm running low for some reason. Out of curiosity I notice one tesla parking there very regularly (PWN in the license plate if I remember right). Is that someone on the forums? It would be fun to say hi some day if timing allows. :)

Dear karamule,

I agree with notice and Robert -- please leave the EV spaces for the Leafs, Sparks, BMW's, and others that actually NEED them. You're unlikely to need that spot with an 85 unless you're commuting from Vermont. I only have an S60 and I commute from Lunenburg to Bedford (65mi round trip). My nightly charge limit is set for just 70% and I still have around 40% when I get home -- tons of leftover range for a trip into Boston, or whatever. Not that I've never grabbed a "free" charge at Alewife, it's just been in the evening, after they've cleared out, when I didn't think I'd be in anyone's way.