Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible/oaky to make the cord shorter on the wall connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it safe to cut the cord on the wall connector? The cord is 25' and 15' longer than I need. It seems safe, but is there a hidden safety issue? Would a shorter cord allow more electricity to flow and possibly overheat the wall unit? Is the longer cord necessary for heat dissipation? :confused:

Is it safe to cut the cord on the wall connector? The cord is 25' and 15' longer than I need. It seems safe, but is there a hidden safety issue? Would a shorter cord allow more electricity to flow and possibly overheat the wall unit? Is the longer cord necessary for heat dissipation? :confused:
There is no problem having a shorter cable. But I can see some other issues:

1. The “bare” wire ends actually have metal crimps on them and you would need to strip the cable and re-crimp your own ends after you cut the cable. You could still try to screw down the bare wire, but I would not recommend it.
2. You may void the warranty of your HPWC. Tesla, generally does not like the customer replacing the HPWC cable, so would frown on you cutting the cable.

I know it’s not what you asked, but I would not cut the cord. Right now, I just coil the cord on a wall hanger (kind of like a small hose reel). Keep in mind, that the cord is also for on the road charging and many times you will need that extra length.

Keep in mind, that the cord is also for on the road charging and many times you will need that extra length.

The OP was referring to the HPWC I believe.

In any case, if you are going to shorten it make sure you reconnect it in the same fashion. There is a lot of power going through there and any added resistance could be harmful.

I would suggest just hanging the excess cable also.

The OP was referring to the HPWC I believe.

In any case, if you are going to shorten it make sure you reconnect it in the same fashion. There is a lot of power going through there and any added resistance could be harmful.

I would suggest just hanging the excess cable also.

Even on the HPWC, there are warranty issues of cutting the cable. Also, it is nice to be able to charge in slightly different car positions or when a friend parks in the driveway outside the garage. I would keep the extra cord.

One small issue: Don't coil the excess into too tight and neat a bundle. That wire needs to dissipate a reasonable amount of power per foot. If you coil/bundle it too tightly, there is less total surface area for heat dissipation and whole coil will get hotter.

Thanks for all the help, I decided to keep the cord and move the unit to a different location where there's room to coil the excess. As far as voiding the warranty, it's only 1 year so that wasn't much of a concern. Have a great weekend everyone.