Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSE Electric Vehicle Charger Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't installed any local charger at my house, I've just used 120v up to this pont. So There look like several possible choices. My own situation is that I only have a single charger, so dual charging is not necessarily useful at this time. Maybe on my next Tesla. Or what if I get an electric car that isn't a Tesla. All non-tesla J1772 cars take at most 6.6kw of power.

1. Buy another portable tesla charger. Get $500 off. I don't need a second one though.
2. Buy a tesla hpwc at $1200 and install. Get $500 off. My car only has a single charger sadly, this this is useful but slightly overkill.

3. Install just a high powered 220v 40 or 100 amp in the garage, use the tesla umc. Don't get $500 off :) This is kind of install the wiring for the other choices.

These next two options get $500 off.

4. Maybe I'll get a second electric car that isn't a tesla, so consider a unit that works for both - clipper creek j1772 cs-60. For $900 there is the 10kw 48amp HCS-60, 48A, 240V Charging, 25? Rubber Over-molded Cord | ClipperCreek | ClipperCreek Vehicle Charging Station This charges my single charger tesla at max amperage, and would work on a second non-tesla ev.

5. The cs-100 is $2100. Overkill for me, maybe useful one day.

The clipper creek cs-60 looks like the right choice to me. It's cheaper than the Tesla only hpwc. It's all I can use today. I only have a single charger. And it works on any future electric car. The very limited downside is that a future dual tuner ev might not charge at its full potential. It's unlikely that anyone else will bring out an EV that chargers faster than 10kw. And I'm not likely to install dual chargers in my car at this time. 30 miles of range added per hour. With $500 off, it's really $400 + wiring + install, which would probably be about another $1000.

Thanks romp for posting this!

I've been fine on 120V for my Model S, but I only have a 25 mile a day commute. However, with a Model X on the way for my wife with a 50 mile a day commute, now is as good a time as any to put a 240V line in, and I've always thought it would be nice to have a hard-wired unit. So, HWPC ordered!

I called and asked PSE how many of these they've had claimed so far, since it's 5000 max and the website makes it sound like this has been around since May. Not true - it was approved in May but only just recently announced to the public. They've only had a handful of applications so far. So order away safe in knowing there are plenty of rebates left.

For $500, I'm ok with them querying my meter remotely more than once a day and sending me a survey to fill out (that's all they want to do).

Hi. I just saw this rebate today. Anyone successfully apply for the rebate?

And, is tax still exempt for EVSEs?

I did. Super easy. Online form and submit a copy of your invoice for a UMC or HPWC and the registration for your EV. Received the check two weeks later.

- - - Updated - - -

As for a sales tax exemption for EVSEs, Tesla charged me sales tax on my UMC and HPWC online orders, so either the answer is "no" now, or Tesla owes me some money back!

Was going to come here to post this today after registering, a friend just sent it to me earlier today.

2. Buy a tesla hpwc at $1200 and install. Get $500 off. My car only has a single charger sadly, this this is useful but slightly overkill.
The wall charger only costs $750 now.

I just submitted the rebate online, hopefully it'll work with my "temporary registration" as I don't have the final registration paperwork yet.

I did. Super easy. Online form and submit a copy of your invoice for a UMC or HPWC and the registration for your EV. Received the check two weeks later.

- - - Updated - - -

As for a sales tax exemption for EVSEs, Tesla charged me sales tax on my UMC and HPWC online orders, so either the answer is "no" now, or Tesla owes me some money back!

You might want to call your local SC parts department...Ive purchased several adapters and HPWC and never paid any sales tax..had to fill out a sales tax exemtion form but otherwise just the price..not sure if this is just w WA state thing so maybe that's why you paid ales tax online?

I just submitted the rebate online, hopefully it'll work with my "temporary registration" as I don't have the final registration paperwork yet.

I have a "temporary registration" sticker too. Can't decide what to pick up though. I just got a NEMA 14-50 installed yesterday. Had I known about this I may have considered the HPWC. But then again, I only have a single charger. Is there any benefit from charging using the HPWC over the NEMA plug?

I had my builder install an HPWC in late April, and moved in and started using it on May 2. But the May 1 cutoff was for INSTALLATION, so I couldn't get the rebate.

However, I have 2 electric cars, and I bought a Clipper Creek, and so I'll take the rebate on that one. I submitted everything last week, and now the status says:

The model and/or make of your vehicle could not be determined as qualifying for an EV Charger rebate.

EarlyAdopter already got his rebate, so I called. They say they need another 10 days to "research" whether the Tesla Model S is eligible. No big deal as long as they come up with the right answer I guess, but it still seems awfully odd.

But then again, I only have a single charger. Is there any benefit from charging using the HPWC over the NEMA plug?
I have a single charger in the car, and the wiring in my townhouse is not even capable of hitting 80A without major upgrades... so, I will not get the full power out of my HPWC. But I got it anyway, because:
1. Don't have to put my cable in the trunk every morning
2. Can take the HPWC with me when I move and hopefully take full advantage of it's power
3. I can always upgrade to dual charger in the future
4. I wanted a backup/second cable anyway, in case something happens to my mobile charger in the wild

I was always going to buy at least a second cable so I'd have one at home at all times and could leave the other in the trunk. When the HPWC was dropped down to only $100 more than the HPWC I thought "why not?"

When I submitted my application, I got an email almost immediately with a "web submission ID" and a link to www.smartenergy-zone.com/pse to check my rebate status.

However, the web submission ID is too long to fit in the "claim ID" field on the lookup. And when I try to do a look up by my acct# or mailing address, I get no results.

This was submitted 7 days ago... should i have a claim ID by now? Should I try resubmitting?