Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gets extension of warranty for 8 Years to Drive Units and Roadster ignored

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else annoyed roadster owners keep getting left out? We have the promise of a battery coming that will cost many thousand $$$$$$$ and we pay more for servicing and more for the car. Yet no increase in warranty for Battery and Pem for us. The same principles apply to our cars too. Are roadster owners just not asking or something? Model S owners complain and they get it all, we don't even get supercharger support.

"we truly believe that electric motors are fundamentally more reliable than gasoline engines, with far fewer moving parts and no oily residue or combustion byproducts to gum up the works, then our warranty policy should reflect that."

Mail up Elon and Squeak for our cars. [email protected]

I'm actually very happy with Tesla and how I've been treated as a Roadster owner, happy they also are supporting the pack giving it more range. Service cost is the same as any other sports-car, actually cheaper. The Roadster is not a brand new car like the Model-S, its a very rare and limited production vehicle. So you have to understand we're lower on the list of priorities for Tesla, and I'm ok with that, since I want Tesla to succeed.

Nope. I bought the car, and it is what it is. I had no expectation that I would be given lots of new stuff (for free, or otherwise).

The future of Tesla is the Model S platform, leading to Gen III. Best thing for roadster owners is for Tesla to survive as a company, and for that to happen they need the new platform to succeed. They should concentrate on that.

Nope. I bought the car, and it is what it is. I had no expectation that I would be given lots of new stuff (for free, or otherwise).

The future of Tesla is the Model S platform, leading to Gen III. Best thing for roadster owners is for Tesla to survive as a company, and for that to happen they need the new platform to succeed. They should concentrate on that.

Agree and disagree ish.. Tesla surviving wouldnt be the best thing for roadster owners as their price would skyrocket if they didn't. However back to the point. The extortionate Tesla Warranty cost for roadster and Battery is what has destroyed the residual values of the roadster in the used market, it would certainly add confidence if they extended it to match the Model S in my opinion. They should be preserving their heritage car. As for Tesla giving us a 400 mile battery pack, Giving is not the right choice of word. Charging and whilst its optional to purchase i am expecting its cost to be prohibitive and PR hot air for many when it finally arrives. I simply cant allow myself to get excited over a potential £20k + upgrade. Thats the price of anther car.

But I believe showing people EV's can have a long life and be upgraded is a HUGE PR win. I believe they will get a lot of mileage out of a 400 miles Roadster pack and it will see more Model S and X cars as people will SEE they can be upgraded into the future.

I'm actually very happy with Tesla and how I've been treated as a Roadster owner, happy they also are supporting the pack giving it more range. Service cost is the same as any other sports-car, actually cheaper. The Roadster is not a brand new car like the Model-S, its a very rare and limited production vehicle. So you have to understand we're lower on the list of priorities for Tesla, and I'm ok with that, since I want Tesla to succeed.

^^^ Me, too.

- - - Updated - - -

^^ And this.

Confused. Why would the price or roadsters skyrocket if Tesla failed? I would have thought the opposite - the cars would be unmaintainable.

Typically prices do go up for cars where companies have gone belly up since there's no more of them or the name. But also getting parts and maintaining them becomes a challenge which I'm sure is also figured into the price. I wouldn't go and say skyrocket though.

As for a high cost for the 400 mile pack, I don't think its going to be all that bad when I need one. As soon as the mass produced Tesla is on the road and Giga plant has been dialed in, the prices per cell will drop dramatically. Same thing happened to flatscreens and any consumer product that's produced in masses over time. Also when a Roadster's ESS fails, its not the whole pack its usually a brick or a sheet that's gone bad. I've heard of $4000 for a repair and giving a new sheet with labor, so that's not bad. When Tesla does honor a warranty, they replace the pack with a refurbished pack. That's to make the customer happy and to also do analysis on the entire pack that had an issue to see how it held up, why it failed, and to make it better in the future. Also that pack will be warrantied for a year even if your warranty just expired. So you get some personal service there that can go a long way.

I personally don't think the ESS warranty is a great deal, but I'm not a big fan of post manufacturer / extended warranties either, its where companies make their bucks. But then I've learned to work, diagnose, and fix my own things. Its the way I've always been and personally prefer it that way. I too love to learn why things fail, enjoy making them better, and personally find it rewarding when everything works out and runs as good or better than new.

Back on the thread, Tesla has a focus, to sell the best and safest electric vehicle ever made and have a milestone to get it into the hands of as many customers around the world for an affordable price. They won't hit that milestone appeasing to only 2400 Roadster owners around the world. Also they have shareholders/board members to make happy who also "own" a piece of the company. The focus of those guys are profits and future business growth that will bring back returns to their investment. Again, 2400 customers is not their focus either.

However I know Tesla will not forget the Roadster owners nor their roots. There's lots of respect there for the early adopters, especially the first time owners in particular for that they stuck with Tesla through the hard times and they wouldn't be around without them. However, being a 2nd owner of my Roadster, they treat me and always have as if I bought that car directly from them. That's something that really blows me away and makes me feel really good.

Voicing your opinion is one that everyone should respect. I wouldn't go so far to email Elon about this though. I do believe he's a very tech savvy, connected and intelligent fellow. I have no doubt he reads these forums for that they are "real world" feedback on something he's helped create that I'm sure he's passionate about. So I wouldn't worry that you haven't been heard by Tesla.

Last edited:
As for a high cost for the 400 mile pack, I don't think its going to be all that bad when I need one. As soon as the mass produced Tesla is on the road and Giga plant has been dialed in, the prices per cell will drop dramatically.

I agree ........ If they have time and resources to R&D and build the 400mile pack the costs should come down the more they make. If we are the test-mules for an advanced battery we may need to get out our fanboy hats again and do the math.

Back on the thread, Tesla has a focus, to sell the best and safest electric vehicle ever made and have a milestone to get it into the hands of as many customers around the world for an affordable price. They won't hit that milestone appeasing to only 2400 Roadster owners around the world.

So true but I still feel well threaded by Tesla and all aspects of Roadster care. Right now we are the past......... With ModelX we are the distant past........ Gen 3 we will be ancient ........ But still if we periodically prove useful with upgrades that are beta testing or useful to future models we will never be forgotten. Tesla is a radically different company, it still is " all in this together " mentality. Who knows how their totally hot and successful prototype will be treated. I think we will always be stuck in the corporate mind like your Aunt that you don't want to visit but periodically you just have to visit and bring cookies.:biggrin:

Confused. Why would the price or roadsters skyrocket if Tesla failed? I would have thought the opposite - the cars would be unmaintainable.

Agree with this one. If you can't get parts or servicing the vehicle would perhaps mainly be valuable as a museum piece. This might be more so with the Roadster since there are apparently no published service manuals unlike many ICE vehicles.

Anyone else annoyed roadster owners keep getting left out?

It didn't even cross my mind. Tesla has consistently gone beyond my expectations in service and warranty support. The terms were understood when I bought my car, and I don't see any reason they should go back in time and change them as a freebie.

The Model S drivetrain warranty is being extended because the high rate of replacements is potentially weighing down on sales. We don't have a similar rate of drivetrain replacements in the Roadster, it's not a problem that needs to be solved.

Tesla delivered everything I expected when I bought the Roadster, and more. Upgrades and freebies would be great, but I'm not expecting them, and I'm not going to be upset if they don't show up.

That parable goes against what I consider to be moral and ethical. It sounds like the Walmart philosophy of keeping wages low.

Tesla giving Model S customers candy should be smiled upon by Roadster owners as a good move for Tesla.
Tesla giving Roadster customers candy should be smiled upon by Model S owners as a good move for Tesla.
Neither should be expecting that both customer categories will get the same candy.

Agreed.

Typically prices do go up for cars where companies have gone belly up since there's no more of them or the name. But also getting parts and maintaining them becomes a challenge which I'm sure is also figured into the price. I wouldn't go and say skyrocket though.
Have you looked into buying a Fisker? I've seen them as low as $65k brand new and sitting on dealer lots for over a year. Maybe with Tesla's open-source patents we can build a decent repair network, but without that, I don't see values increasing.

- - - Updated - - -

That parable goes against what I consider to be moral and ethical. It sounds like the Walmart philosophy of keeping wages low.
It's not your job to determine what someone else should do with their own money.
It's not "unfair" that someone else got a better deal than you, when you got exactly what you bargained for.

NADA shows the Delorean has increased in value. Given you bought the car and stored it in your garage day - 1:

1981 Delorean DMC-12 Gullwing 2 Door Sports Coupe Value, Prices & Specs | NADAguides | NADA 1981 Delorean DMC-12 Gullwing Book Value & 1981 Delorean DMC-12 Gullwing Market Price

Here's the 2008 Roadster in NADA, shows it has decreased in value:
2008 Tesla Motors Roadster 2 Door Roadster Prices, Values & Roadster 2 Door Roadster Price Specs | NADAguides

The Fiskar Karma is still rather new, it needs some time to be forgotten and wanted again. Have to find the car article which explains why the value increases over time when a car manufacturer doesn't exist anymore.

It's not your job to determine what someone else should do with their own money. It's not "unfair" that someone else got a better deal than you, when you got exactly what you bargained for.

I never said either thing. Anyone can do what they want. I have employees and I pay them based on performance and seniority. As long as a business meets labour laws, they can do what they want. But I can disagree with Unions bargaining to have its members paid solely based on seniority, just as I can disagree with that parable that doesn't account for seniority. I base my morals and ethics on what I believe is right but it's just my opinion. I would never impose it on anyone else.