Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many miles will you put on your Tesla in 8 years? To infinity... and beyond!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of you have seen the latest news that Elon Musk posted about the Tesla Model S warranty increase. http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/infinite-mile-warranty

Tesla owners all over the world have posted their adventures with their Tesla from cross-country road trips to a relaxing weekend camping with their Model S. With all the recharging taking place and the miles rolling in, this news is pretty incredible! Infinite miles, can you believe that? No other manufacture would do such a thing!

My question to you is, in 8 years/once your warranty will expire how many miles do you think you would have on your Model S? Imagine all the adventures and places this electric thrilling machine has taken you. It's all about the ride in lifes journey, enjoy it! :)

Here's another great write up on Jalopnik: http://jalopnik.com/tesla-now-offers-infinite-mile-warranty-1622443700/+ericlimer

My question to you is, in 8 years/once your warranty will expire how many miles do you think you would have on your Model S? Imagine all the adventures and places this electric thrilling machine has taken you. It's all about the ride in lifes journey, enjoy it! :)

Probably just over 110K I would imagine. Hard to say though as a lot depends on how awesome Model X and Model 3 are... :biggrin: If I end up with one of those in addition to Model S, my S miles may be lower.

I am going to guess 210,000 over 8 years.

210k/18.5mpg (old car)= 11,350 gallons of gas
x $5 (average price of gas over 8 years) = $56,750

There is a supercharger being installed a couple miles from my house.

$7,500 federal rebate, $2,500 for new MA purchases.

Same ballpark as a Camry XLE over 8 years.

For my Model S 85, I'll probably have 200,000 miles over 8 years.

I already bought the extended warranty so my drive train was covered for 8 years or 100,000 miles, which ever came first. So for me, my drive train warranty just doubled :biggrin:

Assuming no rest breaks and using the maximum Supercharging rate of 4 miles to 150 miles range.
Travel at 55mph for best mileage (300 miles range), charge at 4 miles remaining to 150 miles for 40 minutes.
150 miles in 3.38 hours equals 3.4 million maximum possible miles over 8 years.
Tesla lies, it's not infinite, only 3.4 million miles!

I understand this thread is about total miles, but I wanted to bring up a value associated with the extended warranty.

As most of the EV population knows, the more an EV is driven, the cost/mile dramatically falls; the curve for an ICE vehicle is not nearly as steep.

As many are now indicating they will drive even more, the value proposition of the Model S has increased over an ICE and perhaps creates a new lower end for comparison.

As an brief example, my analysis shows a $96k Model S driven 20k/yr would have a $0.66/mile cost while a BMW 535i at the same mileage rolls in at $0.80/mile.

ICE cars with a $0.66/mile range from a decked out Honda Accord to entry level Audi A3, neither of which is comparable to the Model S.

If the Model 3 carries the same warranty, then ICE cars will not be able to compete.

At the present rate, 288,000 miles ~ 14,000 gallons of gas ~ 144 ton CO2 or about as much CO2 as cows give off in producing 9,000 gallons of milk ;-0

(Which actually isn't true here in AZ where they burn coal to make electricity, but I'm not about to look for those numbers )

Anyway, that's a lot of milk!

4k miles a month = 384k in 8 years. Assuming on average I use about 60% battery capacity from a typical charge-drive-charge cycle, the battery is cycled 60% for 2700 times. Considering it is temperature managed and not cycled fully it should be able to do that without losing too much capacity. 20% loss would be realistic. I would have a range of 212 miles left. I'll report back in 8 years if this turns out to be true LOL

Do the rest of you notice you are driving more because it is just so much more fun? We've put on 52,000 miles in two years - not a record by any means, but about twice what we were driving before. Where do we go now? We choose to drive instead of opting to go through ridiculous traffic to an airport, stand in line, get handled by security, packed into an uncomfortable tube filled with people and their exhaust, arrive tired and cranky, wait for our luggage, rent a car, and go through ridiculous traffic to our destination. Instead, we cruise in quiet comfort, with soft music or conversation. We don't have to go into the city's traffic snarls and rush hour madness. We stop for a break, usually breakfast, at our halfway point supercharger, take a short walk, and silently drive on down the road. We get to our destination feeling good, and, surprise! It takes just about as long as the air trip!

And... it's free forever. How can you travel any other way?

The only reason to "fly" would be if it were an enormous distance, and not being in a hurry to get anywhere, I haven't found that distance yet. We drove to Canada (superchargers do make it quicker than RV parks) last month, visiting relatives and friends all along the way. No way could we have done that except road trip.

All I'm saying is that with the Tesla, Driving is Fun again. And I suspect in 8 years, I will have over 200K smiles from driving this machine.

Do the rest of you notice you are driving more because it is just so much more fun? ...
All I'm saying is that with the Tesla, Driving is Fun again.

I have to admit I feel the same way. Flying has gradually become more and more annoying and inconvenient. You are treated as cattle all along the way and seen as a terror suspect.
But I also didn't enjoy driving a car much any more. That has really changed with the Model S. I find myself doing more road trips, exploring places by car. But even every day driving for work is a positive experience. It's not just one things, it's a combination of many things. I think part is the perfectly smooth and immense power the car has. It rides so smooth yet has incredible acceleration. The absence of noise, fumes and vibration totally takes away the aggressive element a combustion engine has. I feel so much more relaxed and confident and happier compared to driving an ICE car. Even in 'tight' situation I feel calm because with a gentle push of the pedal I'm virtually jumping ahead of everyone around me. And in situations where I need to slow down knowing I'm regenerating power back to the battery gives me a good feeling. I think the single pedal driving contributes a lot of the positive feeling. Just feels more natural than switching pedals constantly. Knowing that I have designated parking spots in many of my favorite places around town and be able to charge for free in most of them also contributes to feeling better about going there. Getting positive reaction from people in the public always puts a smile on my face. Owning a car that almost everyone would love to have is also a great feeling. Being environmentally friends also gives me peace of mind. Not only CO2, but noise. Noise a huge factor IMHO. And then of course knowing that driving doesn't cost you much, sometimes even nothing. With gasoline prices I always felt like money draining out of my pocket. Being able to give big oil the finger feels especially good! I think it's all these things together.

Do the rest of you notice you are driving more because it is just so much more fun?

That's one reason, and a pretty good one, but driving is also more fun when you don't have to think about how much it costs for gas and how frequent you have to go to perform maintenance. I've driven about 40% more than the last ten year's average.

Well, it's hard to beat the "one light second" response :)

I'm in the ~200K club as well. I was previously putting about 18K/yr on my commute car (a 4Runner), and used our Toyota Sequoia for most family/weekend/evening/trip driving. Now the Tesla has assumed those roles where possible (trips are the place where it sometimes doesn't).

So now I'm driving "my" care more... to the tune of ~24K/yr, and correspondingly less on the Sequoia. That also means I'm not paying for that fuel for the Sequoia either, which at 17MPG doesn't hurt my feelings.